CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

+2
muttley1
eternally_troubled
6 posters

Ant67
    Ant67

Newbie Empty Newbie

Post by Ant67 Tue 09 Jun 2015, 8:15 am

Hello to everybody here. I've been biking since I was 11 (now 48) and still have my DOTtrials bike from back then. I recently came across  CB500 with 14,000 miles on it which has been stood since 1996. I've had over 70 bikes over the years but always liked these every since Toseland used to race one. 
    Anyway I purchased the bike for £600 and was surprised when I was given the service book with card, handbook, invoices for work done and all past mot cert up to 2007 (4 miles on every mot since 1996)
    Got the bike home new battery, fresh fuel and plugs and the bike fires up. The down pipes are blowing and a ticking from cam chain. So new pipes given to me from a friend with a Honda shop and need to take cam chain tensioner out to inspect and clean. When this is done hopefully I'll have a nice clean bike to put some miles on.
    Sorry Fo babling on but hopefully may bump into some of you guys in the near future or a wave around the sheffied area.
    Tony

Newbie Empty Re: Newbie

Post by Guest Tue 09 Jun 2015, 9:42 am

Welcome Tony, sounds like you've got a potential cracker there!
    Ant67
    Ant67

Post by Ant67 Tue 09 Jun 2015, 9:46 am

Thanks luckily it has been stored in a very dry place so no rust but lots and lots of spider webs EVERYWHERE.
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Tue 09 Jun 2015, 12:30 pm

Yes, sounds like you might have a good one there.

4 miles per year isn't really taxing the bike, is it? :)

The tensioner might recover with a bit of lubrication and running in and out (people have left them in buckets of oil overnight, sometimes with no success!) but sometimes they are just worn out - it is just one of those things.  

The cam-chain will start to make noise a long time before it does any real damage, so as long as you replace it fairly soon it will be OK.
    muttley1
    the 900
    the 900

Post by muttley1 Tue 09 Jun 2015, 1:36 pm

Welcome along, seconded to what eternally said. 4 miles !! I bought an sv650 a few years ago that did 48 miles a year for 4 years, 24 to the test station, 24 back, then back into the shed. It was fine after new oil, brake fluid, and removing spider poop from everywhere.

Having bought a long-been-stood cb5 (frame and wheels on, the rest neatly put away in lots of boxes, just in a manger with cattle) I would check the tyres for cracking, Avon Roadriders especially are a bit prone to this.

atb

muttley1
    Ant67
    Ant67

Post by Ant67 Tue 09 Jun 2015, 2:41 pm

Thanks for the replys and advice. If the tensioner doesn't work I'll just throw a new one in for what they cost and it does need a new front tyre as its cracked prob replace with a BT45.
    sullivj
    the 900
    the 900

Post by sullivj Tue 09 Jun 2015, 7:00 pm

Welcome Tony. Look forward to a picture when you get a chance.
    skyrider
    skyrider
    the 900
    the 900

Post by skyrider Sun 14 Jun 2015, 8:55 pm

that's right ant as sullivj said we want a view of it Very Happy
    Alvi
    Alvi
    Running out of unique names
    Running out of unique names