CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

3 posters

Another newbie

Billby
    Billby

Another newbie  Empty Another newbie

Post by Billby Mon 08 Jan 2024, 9:35 am

Morning, a (potential) new owner here. I'm currently reading through as much information as possible on here! It's going to be my commuter bike. 60 miles a day round trip, all on fast country roads with no traffic lights in the South Pennines.
    Tyres and suspension will be the main upgrades, followed by exhaust and maybe some carb cleaning upgrades.
    If anyone can point me to some good previous posts that would be greatly appreciated.
    Is there a comprehensive answer to getting tyres in 110/70/17? I had read various answers on here with someone saying they wouldn't seat due to the front rim being t
    o narrow?
    Beresford
    Beresford
    the 900
    the 900

Another newbie  Empty Re: Another newbie

Post by Beresford Tue 09 Jan 2024, 11:12 pm

Welcome to the forum .
    A few observations on the mods you are planning. I have tried an aftermarket exhaust (Fuel) mainly because the standard one is very restrictive on the breathing. I gave it up because it was much too noisy and fitting any kind of baffle just brought it back to the breathing being too restricted. My solution was to fit a standard box from a 600 Fazer which is larger bore but correctly made (not straight through) for decent silencing. The bike revs out much better with this can than with the standard Honda item.
    On tyres, I have been using a 120/70 front for years with no issues.
    Rear shocks I got from TEC bike spares. I think they must be chinese made as they appear identical (alloy bodied, remote reservoir type) to some being offered on Ebay. Not expensive.

Billby likes this post

burudi
    burudi
    Laser Shark
    Laser Shark

Post by burudi Wed 10 Jan 2024, 8:08 am

Fazer 600 silencer fits directly or do you have to make modifications?
    Thank you
    Beresford
    Beresford
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Beresford Thu 11 Jan 2024, 6:10 pm

burudi wrote:Fazer 600 silencer fits directly or do you have to make modifications?
    Thank you
    Yes. The inlet pipe has to be adjusted (welding job) and I made a jointing sleeve to match it to the Honda header using a small piece of copper water pipe beaten to shape. This fits like the original jointing sleeve but is thinner.
    burudi
    burudi
    Laser Shark
    Laser Shark

Post by burudi Mon 15 Jan 2024, 7:44 pm

Thanks!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content