CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

4 posters

New Member introduction

Harley Rider 59
    Harley Rider 59

New Member introduction Empty New Member introduction

Post by Harley Rider 59 Fri 21 Jul 2017, 9:08 pm

HI All, Not sure if I am doing this right as this is first forum I have joined. 

Never mind here goes. 

I am in line to buy a mates CB500 as a garage project. It is a runner but a bit tatty. One of the first jobs will be the suspension which is well tired. I would appreciate any advice as to the way ahead. 

I do basic spannering as I've been riding bikes for a few decades! Currently own a Triumph T120 and a Harley Fat Bob which will soon be on the market. 

I've ridden the CB and like the light weight and the engine. 

Any otherwise I should think about?

Thanks in advance

M
    trevor machine
    trevor machine
    the 900
    the 900

New Member introduction Empty Re: New Member introduction

Post by trevor machine Sat 22 Jul 2017, 6:26 am

There's a fair bit on here about the rear shock absorbers. I've just fitted a pair of YSS Bravos £100. They're super comfy and thus a bit under-dampened. Slightly wallowy compared to fresh OEM Showas, but not crashy over-damped like Hagons. Spring is slightly too long on the YSSs, so centre stand doesn't clear the rear wheel completely - but this can be solved, as someone here said the other week (great tip btw), just turn bars full lock. Creates an extra couple of mil clearance.

Preference here though is for the TEC shocks which are only £50, and firmer than the YSS.

Whatever you fit, it's a quick easy job.
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Sat 22 Jul 2017, 7:31 am

10w oil is used in the front and the oe springs are the opposite way around to what you would expect in regards to the progressiveness of the springs. 
    I wouldn't worry about the front in all honesty until you get the rear sorted out, this thread maybe able to help you out but I've not got the oil amount and the air gap data yet. http://www.cb500club.net/t4699-spec-stats#42587

Oh and welcome to the forum  New Member introduction 737901405
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Sat 22 Jul 2017, 8:18 pm

Harley Rider 59 wrote:HI All, Not sure if I am doing this right as this is first forum I have joined... 

It's all good; you've done the right thing by saying 'hello'!

Welcome to the forum, hopefully we can 'help' with the project, if only by providing moral support.

It might be fun/useful if you could post photos - there's a guide here. We'd always like to see a picture of your bike!

Best of luck with the project.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 14 May 2024, 6:34 am