CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

+51
Al1040
eternally_troubled
chromedome
cheesepiece1
Melitos
Hcb
deejay
smokingsig
stormbringer
liverpool_f_
Drago76
steeeve66
geewhizz
ojacobs1
burudis
Mr Messy
haybunch
Kairos
cc1085
TheWizardofOdds
shropshirewildman
cbcombo
cushdrive
Llewelyn1965
mikethebike
sullivj
ceejay
skyerae
Stevie Gimo
fgclark123
hovis
Grarea
motofan
ANDYC
wornsprokets
ZekeVal
wrighty
r1ncew1nd
tt fan
davecb5002
GollyGosh
Crash- Elmit
trevor machine
Oafski
cj haughey
hh_12345
freeride
Beresford
skyrider
muttley1
Jameshambleton
55 posters

What did you do with your CB500 today?

cheesepiece1
    cheesepiece1
    Running out of unique names

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 22 Empty Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by cheesepiece1 Sat 26 Mar 2022, 10:13 pm

I've had those symptoms twice on my CBs.
    First was rear suspension was shot, fixed with new shocks and the headshakes were gone. The prevailing advice at that time was that the shake at the front end is usually traced back to a problem at the rear.
    Next, and much more recently, it was cured with a front suspension oil change. But my most recent CB still tends to get shaky on the front when I fit my two-lid topbox on the rentec rear rack and stow any more than about 1kg of gear within. Again, I think back to the advice I received years ago and that the front can be affected by what's happening at the rear.
    Then there's tyre pressures. A likely and cheap to fix culprit.

jonnyteabag likes this post

Al1040
    Al1040

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 22 Empty Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by Al1040 Sun 27 Mar 2022, 11:08 am

Thanks for the suggestions cp1, I probably have all of the above Very Happy

Original shocks set on max as sometimes carry a pillion and can feel them bottoming out when chugging along.

Largish top-box with some weight in it but not excessively so.

Just changed the fork oil, so should not be that, but will check to make sure I have not blown a seal as the fork gators are very snug so might not see the oil.

Checked the tyres just before going out, but always worth a quick look just to make sure.

Then of course the process of elimination, which shocks are the current favourites?
    cheesepiece1
    cheesepiece1

Post by cheesepiece1 Sun 27 Mar 2022, 7:05 pm

The original shocks set on max. would be my guess. At this stage, all CBs are a minimum of what, twenty years old?
    Al1040
    Al1040

Post by Al1040 Sun 27 Mar 2022, 7:59 pm

Yup, would have to agree as to the likely culprit.
    What is the current 'budget' replacement choice?
    cheesepiece1
    cheesepiece1

Post by cheesepiece1 Sun 27 Mar 2022, 8:11 pm

I've heard Tec shocks are good and cheap.
    Hagon are the only ones I've any experience of and they were the go-to about ten years ago but I'm not sure on price nowadays if they're competitive any more.
    Al1040
    Al1040

Post by Al1040 Mon 28 Mar 2022, 5:16 pm

So had a rummage around for shocks and could not really find anything on the TEC ones, plenty of YSS / Hagaon etc then thanks to Beresford for putting the link to https://www.tecbikeparts.com/ in another post and mentioning that they do parts for other bikes as well as the Triumphs.

Anyway ordered a set of shocks just under £70 delivered.... bargain (hopefully they will be fine)

cheesepiece1 likes this post

aramis
    aramis
    Godly
    Godly

Post by aramis Wed 30 Mar 2022, 8:43 am

After a bit rainy ride I noticed front brake lever wasn't operating smoothly. After cleaning and lubing the pivot screw it got better, but still some random resistance remained. 

When taking it apart I cleaned the lever inside and outside, but forgot to clean inside of the bracket. Turns out there was some binding goo that was causing the issue. After second strip and properly cleaning and lubing everything, CB has a nice, smooth brake again.

[EDIT]
    And made kickstand enlarger. First - for standing CB on lawn/dirt road without stress, and second - to stop scraping paving in front of my workplace Smile (bottom part is made from polyamide).
    What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 22 VZDT1ap
    stormbringer
    stormbringer
    the 900
    the 900

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 22 Empty Unhibernation!

Post by stormbringer Sat 02 Apr 2022, 3:08 pm

What'd I do with my CB today?

I picked it up from its hibernation @ local dealer, where it has sat since october-ish last year. I wanted not only to shed a little professional TLC on it, but also save it from sitting outside in the snow.

It's genuinely fun to be back on the CB. It's so easy to work with, nimble and above all eager to get going.
    Came home freezing cold (twas actually snowing as I arrived at the shop...) yet with a big grin on my face.

Chuffed!

Now I'll go figure out how to stick a couple of Puig LED foglights to the front end. Having replaced the dull OE reflector/halogen thingy with LED, power draw dropped and now my regrec is absorbing the excess juice. Not good - almost as bad as driving with the lights off.
    Al1040
    Al1040

Post by Al1040 Wed 13 Apr 2022, 6:40 pm

Just fitted the new TEC shocks, what a difference.
    Almost completely stopped the bars shaking, much better ground clearance and better machine control.
    I wholly recommend if yours a feeling a little tired.

cheesepiece1 likes this post

cheesepiece1
    cheesepiece1

Post by cheesepiece1 Tue 26 Apr 2022, 10:26 pm

Sold it.
    Well, I did on Sunday.
    I am officially out of the CB500 club again :sadface
    In rolls something a bit different. Drumroll please... A 1993 Honda XLR200R
    What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 22 A2AbU6v
    https://imgur.com/gallery/UBt8oCb
    muttley1
    the 900
    the 900

Post by muttley1 Mon 02 May 2022, 7:14 pm

Back from a week away and out for an hours local riding. I'd put on a powerbronze headlight screen so good chance to see how it went. No drama, bike all good but it'll be new tyres soon, bt45's are looking tired.

Also made space in the garage so now there's room for another bike, I'll have a look about and see what's local.

muttley1
    Radny
    Radny
    Squiddy
    Squiddy

Post by Radny Sun 08 May 2022, 2:57 pm

Just back from a few days away 700 miles, my back is killing me, otherwise a great time
    aramis
    aramis
    Godly
    Godly

Post by aramis Sun 08 May 2022, 6:59 pm

Cleaned and lubed chain. Shiny again Smile
    Radny
    Radny
    Squiddy
    Squiddy

Post by Radny Sun 08 May 2022, 11:20 pm

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 22 Img-2010
    Beresford
    Beresford
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Beresford Wed 11 May 2022, 2:41 pm

Well, not having a lot of satisfaction with batteries recently. They don't seem to last very long so I've bought a Shido lithium ion battery to see how that works out.
    Price wasn't too bad, about £25 more than a lead acid. Blimey but it's light.
    aramis
    aramis
    Godly
    Godly

Post by aramis Wed 01 Jun 2022, 5:53 pm

Chain maintenance.
    Also, replaced ugly and beaten up aftermarket bar ends my CB came with. Got some less ugly Wink ones, they look almost like OEMs.
    TonyC
    TonyC
    Crotch Rocketuer
    Crotch Rocketuer

Post by TonyC Wed 08 Jun 2022, 10:15 pm

Passed MOT today No Advisories... cheers WooHoo
    deejay
    deejay
    Hyper Viper
    Hyper Viper

Post by deejay Sat 30 Jul 2022, 5:57 pm

Unwrapped my baby this morning after 18 months of covid hibernation. 
    She was turning over okay but wouldn't fire. Then noticed petrol dripping down onto the sprocket cover. It must have been happening for a long time as a line of paint has pickled off, right down to the plastic.
    Seems I won't be riding tomorrow.
    muttley1
    the 900
    the 900

Post by muttley1 Sun 31 Jul 2022, 2:22 pm

Happy 50 miles on local B and c roads. Harvesting has just got going so spilt corn, combine dust etc to add to the usual hazards.
    HS2 is in full swing here and its inescapable on a rideout. Its a full on mess of depots, felled trees, empty fields and an environmental disaster zone. Its not until you see the full acerage of the work that you see the damage being done. If you're coming to MotoGP next weekend you'll not miss it!

In better environment-related news, my 1995 bike is running fine on E5 fuel, I'll have to check this but 74mpg over the last 2 fill ups (340 miles).

muttley1
    aramis
    aramis
    Godly
    Godly

Post by aramis Tue 02 Aug 2022, 8:46 am

muttley1 wrote:74mpg 

HOW?!?!?

I struggle to keep my mileage above 45 - 47 mpg, and here you say you get this? 

Maybe it's because my CB is restricted to 25kW, but on the other hand I don't push her above 6k rpm often. I usually keep rpm in 3.5 - 5k range (city traffic and motorway 50/50). I run E5 too if it is of any concern.
    muttley1
    the 900
    the 900

Post by muttley1 Tue 02 Aug 2022, 3:34 pm

No idea, I ride small roads and speeds are around 50mph or so.
    ANDYC
    ANDYC
    the 900
    the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC Wed 03 Aug 2022, 9:18 am

How did you arrive at  74mpg?
    We have about 4.5 gallons in our tank, which would have given you a tank range of 340 miles🤔🤣
    muttley1
    the 900
    the 900

Post by muttley1 Wed 03 Aug 2022, 12:27 pm

Litres used x .22. Divide that figure into the miles ridden.

Like I say, I'm pretty surprised and will check when I next fill up, it normally does 62 or so mpg but on E10.  Only difference is riding more sedately on slower roads and I've done a few distance trips too.

My other cb5 does 55mpg.
    Radny
    Radny
    Squiddy
    Squiddy

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 22 Empty Economy

Post by Radny Mon 22 Aug 2022, 11:06 am

I also enjoy 70+ MPG  Very Happy
    Must admit I thought it was the norm, as I do not ride in a 'spirited' fashion
    muttley1
    the 900
    the 900

Post by muttley1 Mon 22 Aug 2022, 3:44 pm

My older (1995) bike rolled passed 50000 miles, the other (1999) blew a fork seal so not all good news.

Ref the fuel thing, its a mystery indeed, I did a 90 mile cotswold route on Saturday and doubt it got over 60mph apart from a few overtakes so will see how it looks at the next fill up.

muttley1

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 26 Apr 2024, 7:07 pm