CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

2 posters

leaking forks

Toutsuite
    Toutsuite
    Rossi
    Rossi

leaking forks Empty leaking forks

Post by Toutsuite Thu 19 Apr 2018, 2:12 pm

So my fork seals are leaking (again!) barely two months after paying 140 quid to replace them. Mechanic says its the forks that are worn. But I'm not so sure a CB500 with 54K on the clock that hasn't to my knowledge been in a bad crash needs a new front end. So I measured the fork diameters with a digital calliper. The 37mm forks are measuring 36.7 to 36.8mm. Is that normal? Or is it a sign of wear?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

leaking forks Empty Re: leaking forks

Post by Jameshambleton Thu 19 Apr 2018, 9:25 pm

I'm sure when I measured mine a long while ago they were measuring 37mm. I'd say try a new battery in the caliper you're using and/or fit the jaws around the stanchion then zero it there and remove the caliper from the stanchion and then close them and see if you get the same number.

The chrome itself doesn't wear - however the bushes inside of the fork leg (upper and lower) do wear though this shouldn't be enough to give enough movement to make the seals fail.
    Toutsuite
    Toutsuite
    Rossi
    Rossi

Post by Toutsuite Mon 23 Apr 2018, 10:46 pm

Thanks for the reply. You make  good point about the chrome not wearing. I suspect the bushings have had it and need to be changed along with a new set of oil / dust seals.

Post by Guest Wed 25 Apr 2018, 6:45 pm

It's possible the mechanic damaged the seals when he fitted them, easily done if there are any dings on the chrome and they haven't been flatted off.
    What usually happens to the bushes is that the teflon coating on the inner face starts to wear off.
    Toutsuite
    Toutsuite
    Rossi
    Rossi

Post by Toutsuite Sun 06 May 2018, 1:39 pm

I've bitten the bullet and ordered new fork tubes, seals and bushes. I got a second opinion from another mechanic who showed me where the forks were pitted and scratched. Possibly as mentioned above by previous botched job. Come next April, if I have to swap the bike for a >2007 one due to the new ULEZ rules in London, at least I can sell it in proper condition and get twice my money back.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 May 2024, 11:36 am