CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

3 posters

cylinder head gasket > reuse or replace ??

geewhizz
    geewhizz
    the 900
    the 900

cylinder head gasket > reuse or replace ?? Empty cylinder head gasket > reuse or replace ??

Post by geewhizz Sun 24 May 2020, 5:45 pm

What's the general consensus? Hoping to reuse as have done many times before with the rocker cover gasket but I'm venturing into unknown territory and the bible says thou must replace ...
    ANDYC
    ANDYC
    the 900
    the 900

Mechanic

cylinder head gasket > reuse or replace ?? Empty Re: cylinder head gasket > reuse or replace ??

Post by ANDYC Sun 24 May 2020, 7:21 pm

It would be better to replace it and save yourself the problem of having to do it again if it leaks. Although in the past I have reused one and it worked fine. (Fortunately) the choice is yours.
    motofan
    motofan
    Running out of unique names
    Running out of unique names

cylinder head gasket > reuse or replace ?? Empty cylinder head gasket, reuse or replace??

Post by motofan Mon 25 May 2020, 7:45 am

Like Andyc said, but check the condition, if it's at all damaged when you dismantle it then obviously it'll have to be replaced. If it comes away clean I tend to reuse them. I have reused BMW K75 ones, at least three or four with no leaks. The latest gasket I reused is the one on my Honda 400 f, came off clean and undamaged when I removed the head to insert helicoils in the plug threads, now reassembled and ridden a bit, no leaks!
    I must admit, if it had leaked then as I'm retired it would "have given me something to do!" Not too annoying.
    As Andy says, "You pays yer money (or not) and you takes yer choice"!
    geewhizz
    geewhizz
    the 900
    the 900

cylinder head gasket > reuse or replace ?? Empty Re: cylinder head gasket > reuse or replace ??

Post by geewhizz Tue 26 May 2020, 10:22 am

Cheers guys, thanks for your inputs.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 20 May 2024, 6:30 pm