CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

4 posters

New buyer advice

broc11
    broc11
    Rossi
    Rossi

New buyer advice Empty New buyer advice

Post by broc11 Fri 07 Oct 2011, 7:51 pm

Hi folks, I wonder if you could advise me, I'm 6'2" and about 16 1/2 stone, do you think the cb 500 is too small for me, looking at a 02 one with 14000 miles,doubt if thats genuine though,costing about 1500, it's the one with the half fairing, any advice?

New buyer advice Empty Re: New buyer advice

Post by Guest Sat 08 Oct 2011, 9:31 am

Welcome mate!

I moved your post into a new topic so that you get more replies; please avoid posting off topic in someone elses message! Smile

I'm 6ft2 and near 15st and the CB500 fits me perfectly, you should have no worries Smile
    broc11
    broc11
    Rossi
    Rossi

Post by broc11 Sun 09 Oct 2011, 1:52 am

teamster1975 wrote:Welcome mate!

I moved your post into a new topic so that you get more replies; please avoid posting off topic in someone elses message! Smile

I'm 6ft2 and near 15st and the CB500 fits me perfectly, you should have no worries Smile

Thanks mate, I bought her today,lovely bike, pity the weather is so wet,I'd love to get a decent run on her, i was thinking of buying a cruiser but I found the handling awfull on them,the CB has alot more power than I ever had before,the biggest bike I had previously was a Kawasaki 250 road bike,going to take it very easy for a while.It's been 20 years since I rode a bike and the roads are alot buisier now,have to hand it to honda,very well put together machine.

Last edited by teamster1975 on Sun 09 Oct 2011, 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Moved reply outside quote!)

Post by Guest Sun 09 Oct 2011, 11:51 am

The CB5 is a very forgiving bike, it doesn't hold any nasty surprises on the road and is very easy to work on Smile

On the other hand my brother came round on his Ducati Diavel yesterday and let me have a ride, that was a brown trousers moment!
    broc11
    broc11
    Rossi
    Rossi

Post by broc11 Sun 09 Oct 2011, 2:11 pm

LOL, the CB is enough bike for me too handle anyway,I was reading that the bridgestone b45 (think thats the right number) is a good rear tyre to get,also someone mentioned upgrading the brake line hoses to braided hoses and using better brake pads (hh),though I suppose for the speed i'll be going the standard ones will be fine,delighted with her anyway,can't wait for the summer if we ever get one
    davetheworv
    davetheworv
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by davetheworv Sun 09 Oct 2011, 3:20 pm

hey mate, you blinked and missed it,lol. theres me thinking about taking Arthur off the road and getting some little jobs done........maybe not
    broc11
    broc11
    Rossi
    Rossi

New buyer advice Empty handlebar risers

Post by broc11 Sun 09 Oct 2011, 6:57 pm

What do you think of installing handlebar risers,being the same height as me the bars are a good reach down,I see them on ebay for about £40,they bring the bar closer 30mm,might be more comfortable riding position for my height,what do you think?

Also I wonder if i could fit a 100 watt headlight bulb,would it burn out or affect the electrics dya think? thanks mate
    kwackboy
    kwackboy
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

Post by kwackboy Sun 09 Oct 2011, 7:54 pm

broc11 wrote:Also I wonder if i could fit a 100 watt headlight bulb,would it burn out or affect the electrics dya think? thanks mate

I have a 100w H4 and its fine but what i have done is cover the wires with tin foil to protect from the heat but other than that its all good now for 6months
    broc11
    broc11
    Rossi
    Rossi

New buyer advice Empty bulb

Post by broc11 Sun 09 Oct 2011, 8:19 pm

Thanks, I'll try that,might brighten her up a bit for the dark winter evenings,

I wonder does anyone know where I could get an original owners manual,

bike is an 02 Cb 500s
    davetheworv
    davetheworv
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by davetheworv Sun 09 Oct 2011, 9:53 pm

hi and good luck with the CB.

I have straight bars on my bike and didnt like the stoop position so got those risers from ebay. It isnt much but it has made a difference and the bike is a lot more comfortable, if you look back over the posts you will see a couple of us have fitted them.
    broc11
    broc11
    Rossi
    Rossi

Post by broc11 Sun 09 Oct 2011, 10:35 pm

Thanks, yes I think I'll fit them,it wouldn't matter for shorter riders,but an inch and a half is alot,ask any woman lol

I also saw a fender extender for the front mudguard,it sticks on or can be fitted with a few self-tappers,has to be a good idea to keep the winter salt of the exhaust downpipes etc?

I'd like to get an original owners manual from somewhere,having no luck on ebay,

thanks for your advice
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Mon 10 Oct 2011, 2:36 pm

Fender extenders *are* a good idea - if you don't fancy buying one you can make one, assuming you can find some suitable spare plastic.

I hacked up a milk carton and attached it (like a mud-flap) to the bottom of my mudguard - it doesn't look very nice, but then the rest of my bike doesn't either!
    davetheworv
    davetheworv
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by davetheworv Mon 10 Oct 2011, 7:15 pm

lol bet mines rattier than yours

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 28 Apr 2024, 1:53 pm