CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

+3
glencoeman
Gonzumzum
muttley1
7 posters

CB5 Engine Longevity

scottrichardwalker
    scottrichardwalker
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Solved CB5 Engine Longevity

Post by scottrichardwalker Fri 14 Jun 2013, 9:38 am

Morning All

I was hoping someone on this forum may be able to answer this question for me "How far will a CB5 engine go?"

I was in the pub last night discussing my ambitions of going RTW on my CB5 when one of my mates said that the engine wouldn't make it. Now admittedly my bike has done near enough 50K miles, and the trip I am planning is close to 75k miles, so the engine will have done 125k by the time it is done.

So, will the engine be able to withstand this? I am aware that the CB5 engine is "Bulletproof", and mine has never missed a beat, but I can't help but think that 125k miles, on a 499cc engine, is a long long way, even for our beloved CB5!

Any ideas, opinions or suggestions would be gratefully received!

Scott

Last edited by scottrichardwalker on Tue 08 Sep 2015, 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Basil Moss
    Basil Moss
    the 900
    the 900

Solved Re: CB5 Engine Longevity

Post by Basil Moss Fri 14 Jun 2013, 11:15 am

Why not? jchesshyre's has done 132K!
    scottrichardwalker
    scottrichardwalker
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Post by scottrichardwalker Fri 14 Jun 2013, 11:22 am

Hi Basil

Yeah I saw his recent post about him dropping a new Audi at a set of traffic lights! Very Happy

Obviously his still has plenty of life left in it!

I guess reliability will be the main issue for me. I would be very interested to hear what preventative maintenance jchesshyre (And other forum users) has done to maintain his CB5 and if he has had any issues due to the very high mileage.

Scott
    muttley1
    the 900
    the 900

Post by muttley1 Fri 14 Jun 2013, 12:20 pm

Hi,

Honda reportedly ran a cb5 continuously for 200k miles and it was all fine after this.

MCN/ bike press have done features on them for distance racing - as things don't go wrong the cb5 only really loses out on fast work, not a prob for rtw.

Btw, seem a fair few rtw/long distance posts of late, mainly around fiddling with the bike to get it into "shape". I'd say the bike is sound enough, read Ted Simon, Peter Beagle, its all about the journey for these guys.

m1
    scottrichardwalker
    scottrichardwalker
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Post by scottrichardwalker Fri 14 Jun 2013, 12:27 pm

Hi muttley1

Thanks for that. I had heard such a story on the "Grapevine" but wasn't sure it was true. Great to hear though! Thus, I infer at 125k miles, I will just about have run the engine in Razz

As for Ted Simon, I saw him give a speech two weekends ago at HUBB UK event. He is definitely all about the people you meet and the journey you take as a person. In fact, I don't recall him ever mentioning the bike he used! 

I was one of those posting about CB5 mods to prepare for a RTW trip, but I am airing towards the "Less is more viewpoint". As you quite rightly say, if it aint broke, why fix it! The old girl hasn't let me down yet, so why alter things in the hope it may improve it?

Scott

Post by Guest Fri 14 Jun 2013, 1:05 pm

Mine's on 82K and still pulls like a train Scott Smile
    Just change the oil and filter regularly and it'll look after you!
    muttley1
    the 900
    the 900

Post by muttley1 Fri 14 Jun 2013, 1:32 pm

I went to a talk by Mark Beaumont, soon after he'd cycled the world - the bike wasn't mentioned once, although it was lurking about on the stage.
    scottrichardwalker
    scottrichardwalker
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Post by scottrichardwalker Fri 14 Jun 2013, 1:50 pm

Hi teamster1975

Yeah spot on! I change the oil and filter as regularly as possible and use a good quality fully synthetic oil where possible.

Is yours as stock or have you had to make any changes? A common one I have heard many on this forum do is replacing the rear shocks with a set from Hagon. Mine is as stock, just with the addition of Oxford heated grips, a V-system Scottoiler, Givi rack and top box, K&N air filter and a Puig fly screen. 

Scott

Post by Guest Fri 14 Jun 2013, 2:17 pm

Hi Scott

It's fairly stock, I've fitted:
    Hagon shocks
    Rentec luggage rack
    K&N air filter
    Fork chip guards (no more pitted stanchions!!)
    Daytona heated grips

Had to replace:
    Radiator, twice
    Head gasket
    Stanchions
    Head bearings
    Rad cooling fan
    Thermostat
    Plus your usual consumables

The nice thing is I've owned the bike for 15 years since new and I've done all the work on it myself so I know there's no bodgery going on!
    Gonzumzum
    Gonzumzum
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Gonzumzum Fri 14 Jun 2013, 2:40 pm

Hello Scott.
    I just bought a cb5 last year (own it for 9 months already) but since kid i have been a bike lover. If i have to say the subject that i read most about it in my whole life, motorcycles would be clear 2nd spot (1st specialization area).
    I bought it not for the looks, but for knowing very well what im buying.
    In my point of view, the cb500 is the Mercedes 190d of motorcycles.
    It´s a MTF TANK!!!!

I´ve met severall couriers in Lisbon that have cb500s, and some of their bikes have already restarted de 0km mark! And being all these kms done on city! Constant stop and go, increased engine temp, bla bla bla...

By this, i think any cb500, with normal use, can easily do 500 000 km.
    I think you can trust your cb5 for this trip...
    And enjoy it!
    All the best!
    glencoeman
    glencoeman
    Squiddy
    Squiddy

Post by glencoeman Sat 15 Jun 2013, 8:15 am

There was a CBF500 on e-bay a few months ago as it had reached the end of its workable life(it had started to smoke). It had been used to ferry medical supplies around the south east. I think it sold for about £250. The mileage was an astonishing 349,998 miles. So, the answer is ,if properly serviced and maintained, these engines will last a long,long time.
    scottrichardwalker
    scottrichardwalker
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Post by scottrichardwalker Sat 15 Jun 2013, 8:35 am

teamster1975, I am impressed with how little has needed replacing (Above and beyond the standard consumables). It shows the quality of the machine as well as its longevity.

Gonzumzum, "The CB500 is the Mercedes 190D of the motorcycle world" - Absolutely brilliant! Glad to hear you are enjoying your CB5 and if you do make it to half a million kilometeres on the clock, do report back here and let us know how you got on!!!

glencoeman, Does the CBF run the same engine as the standard CB? If so, 350k miles is utterly impressive on a 499cc machine. As you say though, correct and proper servicing is the key to a long, happy life!
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Mon 17 Jun 2013, 1:10 pm

Yes the CB5 should be good for it.

You mentioned that your RTW trip might be 75k miles?  Mr. Honda suggests that you change the oil every 8k miles, so even if you stretch it to 10k miles that is still 7 oil changes (or so)....  my point being - the bike is quite likely to do the 75k distance if you can plan in how and where you are going to fit the oil changes (and other servicing) in.

Anyway, good luck!
    scottrichardwalker
    scottrichardwalker
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Post by scottrichardwalker Mon 17 Jun 2013, 1:18 pm

Hi 

Yes the trip will be in the region of 75,000 miles all in!

That will equate to at least 9 oil changes as well as the other preventative maintenance. I intend on changing the oil as regularly as I can, as this is probably the single most important piece of maintenance. As you say though, the skill will be in planning when and where I will be able to get this done correctly!

Just one more thing to factor in! Smile

Scott
    Beresford
    Beresford
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Beresford Mon 17 Jun 2013, 2:00 pm

scottrichardwalker wrote:Hi 

Yes the trip will be in the region of 75,000 miles all in!

That will equate to at least 9 oil changes Smile

Scott

Sounds as if this is what is needed then !
    http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/CB500SY-SPORT-2000/part_187730/
    scottrichardwalker
    scottrichardwalker
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Post by scottrichardwalker Mon 17 Jun 2013, 3:05 pm

Hi Beresford

Have you used these filters before? I must admit that I was not aware of them or anything like this before.

Could prove useful, but would need to be certain that they are an effective filter. No good being reusable if they don't do the job properly!

That said, it looks a good quality construction.

Scott
    Beresford
    Beresford
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Beresford Mon 17 Jun 2013, 4:55 pm

scottrichardwalker wrote:Hi Beresford

Have you used these filters before? I must admit that I was not aware of them or anything like this before.

Could prove useful, but would need to be certain that they are an effective filter. No good being reusable if they don't do the job properly!

Scott

Sorry, no. However they caught my eye when I was looking over the net for oil filters ( I ended up buying a K&N ) For your needs, one might be just the ticket as you wouldn't need to carry spares.
    Mike

PS Look here
    http://www.kandpengineering.com/
    Basil Moss
    Basil Moss
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Basil Moss Tue 18 Jun 2013, 1:43 pm

On the bright side the CB500 seems to run on more or less any oil available, and can burn pretty low octane fuels if it's all you can find. Which seems to make it an ideal bike for such an adventure!
    scottrichardwalker
    scottrichardwalker
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Post by scottrichardwalker Wed 19 Jun 2013, 8:36 am

Beresford wrote:
    scottrichardwalker wrote:Hi Beresford

Scott

Sorry, no. However they caught my eye when I was looking over the net for oil filters ( I ended up buying a K&N ) For your needs, one might be just the ticket as you wouldn't need to carry spares.
    Mike

PS Look here
    http://www.kandpengineering.com/

I must admit they do look pretty impressive, and that could save me a lot of time and effort in the long run. I shall investigate further and see what happens. I too currently have a K&N oil filter fitted and have had no problems with that.
    scottrichardwalker
    scottrichardwalker
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Post by scottrichardwalker Wed 19 Jun 2013, 8:41 am

Basil Moss wrote:
    On the bright side the CB500 seems to run on more or less any oil available, and can burn pretty low octane fuels if it's all you can find. Which seems to make it an ideal bike for such an adventure!

That is a good consideration indeed. I must admit I have never run my machine on "Poor" quality oil or fuel, but I have heard many CB5 owners say that it didn't miss a beat even when using 90 RON fuel. Of course, in places such as Egypt, where "Standard" petrol has a RON of ~80, buying the premium might be worth a shout! Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 May 2024, 3:50 pm