CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

+51
Al1040
eternally_troubled
chromedome
cheesepiece1
Melitos
Hcb
deejay
smokingsig
stormbringer
liverpool_f_
Drago76
steeeve66
geewhizz
ojacobs1
burudis
Mr Messy
haybunch
Kairos
cc1085
TheWizardofOdds
shropshirewildman
cbcombo
cushdrive
Llewelyn1965
mikethebike
sullivj
ceejay
skyerae
Stevie Gimo
fgclark123
hovis
Grarea
motofan
ANDYC
wornsprokets
ZekeVal
wrighty
r1ncew1nd
tt fan
davecb5002
GollyGosh
Crash- Elmit
trevor machine
Oafski
cj haughey
hh_12345
freeride
Beresford
skyrider
muttley1
Jameshambleton
55 posters

What did you do with your CB500 today?

Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

What did you do with your CB500 today? Empty What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by Jameshambleton Sun 07 Jan 2018, 8:08 pm

Just worked out that I've done 29k with them, and they were used before that. I've noticed that my bike is a bit down on power - I'm not sure if it's just me treating it like a toy and using full throttle everywhere when possible or not. either way the gapping on the plug will centertainly be out by now.
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

What did you do with your CB500 today? Empty Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by eternally_troubled Sun 07 Jan 2018, 9:06 pm

Jameshambleton wrote:I dislike the street triple for that exact reason, too confidence inspiring so when it bites and all goes wrong you'll really know about it... or you wont be about,to know about it.

Yes, I'd agree with that - it was fun and easy to ride, but the conditions were not great (cold, damp) and it would have been easy to give it too much...

I suspect this is not a problem confined to the street triple but probably shared by many modern bikes that are light and have good suspension - it's all great until it isn't!
    muttley1
    the 900
    the 900

What did you do with your CB500 today? Empty Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by muttley1 Wed 10 Jan 2018, 1:27 pm

Mot passed today for my '95 bike. No probs just low battery so one for ebay. Only done 1k miles on this bike since last mot, plenty more on the other one though.
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Wed 10 Jan 2018, 11:14 pm

I've treat my cb5 and put her in the shed for once, only because I'm working away for a few weeks... Now that I think about it, this will be the longest time I won't have ridden my bike in over a year and a half D:
    skyrider
    skyrider
    the 900
    the 900

Post by skyrider Thu 11 Jan 2018, 9:50 am

well at least you will be out of this cold weather, what will you be on with
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Fri 12 Jan 2018, 12:35 pm

Working on belfast peer
    skyrider
    skyrider
    the 900
    the 900

Post by skyrider Fri 12 Jan 2018, 12:43 pm

watch out for the wagon drivers they are nut cases found that out when we worked over there a few years ago
    Beresford
    Beresford
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Beresford Fri 12 Jan 2018, 2:27 pm

Jameshambleton wrote:Working on belfast peer

Sorry to say James, my bike is SORned at the moment as I'm getting it ready for MOT in Feb otherwise you could have used it while you are here
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Fri 12 Jan 2018, 7:00 pm

Thank you for the offer Beresford, I should still be here at the beginning of Feb, depends on how long this job takes and how I do on it. I'd happily pop over and give you a hand but I'm about an hour away and I don't have any transport while I'm over here. If all goes well then I should be coming back to NI more often, thank you for the kind offer.
    Hopefully I'll have a little more notice next time so I can bring my cb over with me. I'm currently near Ballyclare, from what I can seem to tell the speedcamera issue here is much more transparent than England https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/types-and-locations-safety-cameras
    freeride
    freeride
    Laser Shark
    Laser Shark

Post by freeride Fri 12 Jan 2018, 10:14 pm

Borrowed a Sealey motorcycle wheel bearing removal kit. It actually worked and took about 3 mins to get the first bearing out.
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Sun 14 Jan 2018, 7:52 pm

I went for a longer ride (about 100 miles) with the new tyres: new-ish Pirelli Sport Demon are certainly better than old and knackered Avon RoadRiders! The bike now goes around corners without any fighting...
    skyrider
    skyrider
    the 900
    the 900

Post by skyrider Mon 15 Jan 2018, 8:09 am

yes you need tyres that you can rely on at  this time of year
    hh_12345
    hh_12345
    Mothra the Radioactive
    Mothra the Radioactive

Post by hh_12345 Mon 15 Jan 2018, 12:57 pm

I'll soon be repainting my tank - started removing the factory paint - it consists of impressive 7 or even more layers.
    stormbringer
    stormbringer
    the 900
    the 900

Post by stormbringer Mon 15 Jan 2018, 1:01 pm

Two days in a row I've been out on the CB. Trying to rescue my car that gave up the ghost when I was out for a meeting 30 miles from home.
    Nice, albeit a bit nippy.
    muttley1
    the 900
    the 900

Post by muttley1 Mon 15 Jan 2018, 6:46 pm

Put a puig headlight fairing on my older cb5, its a bit cold indeed so some wind blast reduction in order.
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Mon 15 Jan 2018, 8:51 pm

hh_12345 wrote:I'll soon be repainting my tank - started removing the factory paint - it consists of impressive 7 or even more layers.

Is the factory paint well stuck on/no rust? If you can sand it back to a smooth finish you shoudln't need to remove it; just key the surface sufficiently that the new paint adheres.

Of course, if you want to remove it all then that's fine :) You will need to use primer on the bare metal.

Any photos of the progress?
    hh_12345
    hh_12345
    Mothra the Radioactive
    Mothra the Radioactive

Post by hh_12345 Tue 16 Jan 2018, 1:04 pm

eternally_troubled wrote:
    Is the factory paint well stuck on/no rust?  If you can sand it back to a smooth finish you shoudln't need to remove it; just key the surface sufficiently that the new paint adheres.

Of course, if you want to remove it all then that's fine Smile  You will need to use primer on the bare metal.

Any photos of the progress?

The paint is in very good condition (repainting it to match the color of the bike, this replaced my rusty tank), maybe I should have done what you suggested - sanding the top layer and removing the decals only. Not too late to do it that way though, as I have removed less than 1/5 of it - but most likely I'll try and finish it all. 

I'll take some pictures by the end of the week.

That's the tool I'm using - rubber disk with sanding paper attached to electric drill. It removes the paint quickly with the right paper and once you get the hang of it, I believe the top of the tank can be done in less than an hour.

What did you do with your CB500 today? Tank_016

My progress so far
    What did you do with your CB500 today? Tank_017

The paint layering - the original black paint + a temp silver layer a did some time ago on top of it
    What did you do with your CB500 today? Tank_018
    muttley1
    the 900
    the 900

Post by muttley1 Mon 22 Jan 2018, 8:32 pm

Unscheduled morning off so 35 miles across B roads and lanes in South Northants, very scenic and dry roads too.
    Quick get-the=salt-off wash and all done.
    cj haughey
    cj haughey
    Hyper Viper
    Hyper Viper

Post by cj haughey Mon 22 Jan 2018, 8:39 pm

Did my fork seals and changed one of the bushes as it jammed up on the way out. Have a new bt45 to go on the front tomorrow too.
    stormbringer
    stormbringer
    the 900
    the 900

Post by stormbringer Tue 23 Jan 2018, 4:03 pm

muttley1 wrote:Unscheduled morning off
    Those events are particularly good if the weather is fine. You've got nothing else planned and can go riding with peace of mind, making it even more enjoyable.

Or sleep in...

There should be more unscheduled morning offs.
    Oafski
    Oafski
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Post by Oafski Wed 31 Jan 2018, 12:29 pm

Yesterday. Washed it after using it for the first time on Sunday since the beginning of December, . Only managed 35 miles and dodgy knee and hip stood up well but my left hand was giving me real grief. Need to start squeezing a tennis ball or get out more Smile .
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Sun 04 Feb 2018, 4:46 pm

I met up with @Beresford today at the NI bike show, the show itself was rather disappointing but was worth the conversation with him and the tiny bit of supermoto racing out the back.

Wasn't many bike stands but all the Kawasaki ones were pretty much only showing off the h2, the husky stand was about 5 bikes and I don't think I saw any others apart from bmw only showing cruisers and the boxer line of bikes.
    Beresford
    Beresford
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Beresford Sun 04 Feb 2018, 9:38 pm

Later on, after you disappeared when MAG membership fees were mentioned   Very Happy   I got to meet Darth Vader and Batman. Bit disappointing as they weren't the massive superheroes I'd been expecting. Darth is only 6'4" or so. A wee lad.
    As an aside James, it was hardly an international show. Don't forget the population of NI is only about the same as Hampshire.
    trevor machine
    trevor machine
    the 900
    the 900

Post by trevor machine Wed 07 Feb 2018, 10:33 am

Taking it for an MOT at 1:00 today. Might get an advisory for the back tyre but I think it's legal. Fork seals seemed to be acting up last week, but they seem fine now. Can't really think of anything else that might receive close scrutiny. The bike's clean, no corrosion or oxidation anywhere, stops well on its brembos, and looks/sounds well. Maybe another advisory for loud exhaust. This is a new guy I'm going to and although I do know him as a human being and mechanic, I don't "know" him as an MO tester. He's only received authorisation for his place to serve as a testing station, and for him to test. So he might have the zeal of the newly converted. I doubt it though - he's a decent guy afaict and won't fail something for the sake of it. Besides, I want to know if my bike's a death trap.
    Crash- Elmit
    Crash- Elmit
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Crash- Elmit Thu 08 Feb 2018, 6:48 pm

Took mine for MOT today and it failed. advisory on forks due to slight misting around one fork- hit a deep pothole last week so may have just forced some oil past the seal

Front tyre close to wear limit but is also perished in places, I have a spare so will get that fitted.

failed on sticking throttle. There is a spot on the pull cable that has worn through due to rubbing on the headlight bracket and the inner steel has gone rusty. Have ordered new cables from Brooks Barn motorcycles online so thats done but the plastic throtte inner has gone brittle and is split with bits broke off and that looks harder to procur

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 27 Apr 2024, 8:11 pm