CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

+51
Al1040
eternally_troubled
chromedome
cheesepiece1
Melitos
Hcb
deejay
smokingsig
stormbringer
liverpool_f_
Drago76
steeeve66
geewhizz
ojacobs1
burudis
Mr Messy
haybunch
Kairos
cc1085
TheWizardofOdds
shropshirewildman
cbcombo
cushdrive
Llewelyn1965
mikethebike
sullivj
ceejay
skyerae
Stevie Gimo
fgclark123
hovis
Grarea
motofan
ANDYC
wornsprokets
ZekeVal
wrighty
r1ncew1nd
tt fan
davecb5002
GollyGosh
Crash- Elmit
trevor machine
Oafski
cj haughey
hh_12345
freeride
Beresford
skyrider
muttley1
Jameshambleton
55 posters

What did you do with your CB500 today?

GollyGosh
    GollyGosh
    Mothra the Radioactive
    Mothra the Radioactive

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 2 Empty Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by GollyGosh Thu 08 Feb 2018, 8:27 pm

If nobody on here has a used one going spare...

The throttle inner comes with the grip as a complete unit.  Available at www.cmsnl.com  for 21.50euro plus postage.  I had a quick glance and it seems to be the same part no. ( 53140MY5860 ) for all years, but to be sure Click Here  and select the year and country for your m/c and then scroll down the page to 'SWITCH/CABLE' section. 

It is also available in Fowlers and Lings but more pennies.
    davecb5002
    davecb5002
    Mothra the Radioactive
    Mothra the Radioactive

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 2 Empty Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by davecb5002 Thu 08 Feb 2018, 8:49 pm

Have a word with TT Fan on forum, he had my spare engine, also some carbs and both push and pull throttle cables in good order, perhaps he my sell the one you want to you. Worth a P.M Very Happy
    Crash- Elmit
    Crash- Elmit
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Crash- Elmit Thu 08 Feb 2018, 10:55 pm

thanks Dave I will try that.

GollyGosh I already tried CMSNL just to get the pert number so I could try David Silver's to see if they had one, but they are only available by ordering as they are not kept in stock and would take too long to arrive in time to get it re-mot'd without having to pay again.

there appears to be a few on fleabay but all seem to be in the good old USA so again could take too long to arrive
    tt fan
    tt fan
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

Post by tt fan Fri 09 Feb 2018, 12:04 am

Sorry just seen this thread.
    Further to my pm Chris,
    Have you ordered the throttle cables?
    I do have cables (and you'd be welcome) but definitely no 'throttle tube' or grip.
    r1ncew1nd
    r1ncew1nd
    Crotch Rocketuer
    Crotch Rocketuer

Post by r1ncew1nd Fri 09 Feb 2018, 6:10 pm

Commuted the 40-odd miles round trip to work the last 2 days as #1 daughter wanted the car so the missus wanted mine.   Gave me a chance to get out on the bike without an excuse :-)

Apart from nearly being taken out by a mature driver pulling across from lane 2 to 1 on the A1 @ Gosforth - "I'm sorry, I did not see you";  yeah pal, whats those mirror things for? - it was a decent ride and great to skip through the 2 lanes of traffic that I'm normally sitting in bumper to bumper.

Think I'll make it a weekly ride.

Steve
    wrighty
    wrighty
    Running out of unique names

Post by wrighty Fri 09 Feb 2018, 7:42 pm

Hey All. Project flat tracker slowly going back together. Frame cleaned up and touched up, new rear shocks fitted, engine painted and back in frame. Lots of blue furr around thermostat denoting leakage so decided to remove strip fettle and test. Bloody cold in garage so as Missus was out took it indoors with wire brushes, emery etc. Unfortunately swmbo came home early and caught me making a mess on the dining table. She didn't say much but I just know that is going to cost me down the line!
    skyrider
    skyrider
    the 900
    the 900

Post by skyrider Fri 09 Feb 2018, 8:28 pm

you had better believe it just when you thought she had forgotten about it its going to come back and hit you like a brick Laughing
    r1ncew1nd
    r1ncew1nd
    Crotch Rocketuer
    Crotch Rocketuer

Post by r1ncew1nd Fri 09 Feb 2018, 10:17 pm

Bet she wouldn't complain if she caught you cleaning the oven with wire brushes !

Steve
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Fri 09 Feb 2018, 11:58 pm

Brakes are badly binding, engine started after the carbs filled up, ignition stuck (now unstuck), electrical fault still present need to be out the door by 8 tomorrow so going to be a quick loom swap in the morning
    muttley1
    the 900
    the 900

Post by muttley1 Sun 11 Feb 2018, 9:52 pm

Solved fickle right turn indicator by spraying wd40 inside left switchgear.

Also bought 4.5mm metal drillbit from b n q for 1.70 odd, pretty useful for some current house projects and the right size for drilling switchgear holes into renthal bars...

Oh, and my b n q had a discounted tools shelf so got a open n close ended spanners set (Macallister) for a fiver, they're never in the shed when you need 'em (spanners, not fivers).

muttley1
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Mon 12 Feb 2018, 6:55 pm

Rode from North Yorkshire to Cairnryan in Scotland. Cold wasn't even the word to use, it snowed on my and I had snow on my leg for about 50miles before it was gone, just didn't melt. Back in Belfast now problem free.

I've gotta say people here aren't very aware of what's around them or know how to use motorways properly here in NI. Makes for some fun riding for me Twisted Evil
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Fri 16 Feb 2018, 11:44 am

Spent a couple of hours cleaning my front caliper this morning. The salt had built up in layers, even the brake cleaner wasn't touching it. Had to use a flat head screwdriver to scrape the majority off, least I can now get the pistons to move enough to wriggle them off the disc though. Needs pads soon, as they're getting down a bit, also need the spark plugs doing too but I'll have to ask @Beresford nicely one weekend for changing the spark plugs as that's a tool I forgot to bring haha.
    tt fan
    tt fan
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

Post by tt fan Fri 16 Feb 2018, 2:34 pm

New did chain and genuine sprockets on mine.
    Proper clean up of rear caliper while i was in there.
    Then 60 miles round the fens just to check all is well.
    Good start to the day Very Happy
    ZekeVal
    ZekeVal

Post by ZekeVal Fri 16 Feb 2018, 7:20 pm

Changed the battery, the previous one had been dead since October, went for a 12V 11Ah instead of the 8Ah originally. It was a tight fit, had to scrape some plastic from the battery door.

I then went for a good little ride in the countryside. Everything worked fine, quite happy with the bike.
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Fri 16 Feb 2018, 9:54 pm

ZekeVal wrote:Changed the battery, the previous one had been dead since October, went for a 12V 11Ah instead of the 8Ah originally. It was a tight fit, had to scrape some plastic from the battery door.

I then went for a good little ride in the countryside. Everything worked fine, quite happy with the bike.

YTX14-BS?
    ZekeVal
    ZekeVal

Post by ZekeVal Fri 16 Feb 2018, 10:05 pm

YTZ12S
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Sat 17 Feb 2018, 7:04 pm

I went down across the border, met up with Wornsprockets and Sean (he was the one who had frame issues with his cb500). We went round the Skerries 100 course, had a good blast out. Will definitely have to do it again some time.

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 2 Y4mIZi3WO94Kgqd_zP15YrcrApN9QXXrX_FOwqaMndHxWxJz9Gk6Lz3rixeCBPLfmRmtT0RE15z92gMem4NZffBco4yIG9pqiidHlkfEwtJ9ASwO8K_FnN9raKXl_3DjvJcGs6Qof5QVeupVdQySsJOAJiFogylKBmQYDTcY2705pk3RHwAfUDaajfESfEZQovmb640z1xEV08j133OVRtX5w?width=1024&height=576&cropmode=none
    tt fan
    tt fan
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

Post by tt fan Sat 17 Feb 2018, 7:07 pm

Went to London n back for the Excel bike show on mine today Very Happy
    davecb5002
    davecb5002
    Mothra the Radioactive
    Mothra the Radioactive

Post by davecb5002 Sat 17 Feb 2018, 7:17 pm

Was the show any good ?? Did you buy anything ?? Smile
    wornsprokets
    wornsprokets
    the 900
    the 900

Post by wornsprokets Sat 17 Feb 2018, 7:21 pm

It was nice to meet up with you james... pitty roads were not more dry... the ride out was fun!even if i did spin rear... Shocked  it was also nice to have a spin on your cb... its surprising how different cbs can be...gearing make yours different to both mine i like it

cheesepiece1 likes this post

tt fan
    tt fan
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

Post by tt fan Sat 17 Feb 2018, 8:55 pm

Show was ok thanks Dave. Very busy at lunchtime. Not like the old bmf or ali pali days. Guess the whole motorcycle scene is treated as an industry so it attracts people who have a passion for business (food, clothes, cheap tools whatever) rather than 2 wheels. Hoped Norton would have made more of recently signing Mcguiness on their stand. I was listening to (and photographing) a couple of friends speaking in the adventure corner, which was for me very inspirational and the best bit of the show. No shopping just nice to have another day out on the bike!
    tt fan
    tt fan
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

Post by tt fan Sat 17 Feb 2018, 8:59 pm

Oh yeah - happy birthday James!
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Sat 17 Feb 2018, 9:11 pm

tt fan wrote:Oh yeah - happy birthday James!

Cheers mate, couldn't have had a better day, mates, bikes and great roads.
    r1ncew1nd
    r1ncew1nd
    Crotch Rocketuer
    Crotch Rocketuer

Post by r1ncew1nd Sat 24 Feb 2018, 8:23 pm

Gave the old girl a wash and wax today.  Was inspired by pic of JamesHambleton's;

http://www.cb500club.net/t5565p550-last-member-to-post-wins#53413

Fortunately wasn't as bad as yours James  affraid

Steve
    wornsprokets
    wornsprokets
    the 900
    the 900

Post by wornsprokets Sun 25 Feb 2018, 12:10 am

Changed  the original plugs out of my cb 500sy (22k) and its battery on charge...on optimate 4, went to work on my cb500v ..

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 10 May 2024, 1:19 am