CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

+10
skyrider
muttley1
Lucifer_
sullivj
geewhizz
wornsprokets
Beresford
jerryfudd
Jameshambleton
smokingsig
14 posters

[solved]HTTPS Forum

smokingsig
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Solved [solved]HTTPS Forum

Post by smokingsig Fri 08 Feb 2019, 11:10 am

Hi,

Any idea to change this forum from HTTP to a HTTPS website ?

This way the traffic is encrypted which is much more secure (password are now plain text).

Rgards,

S

Solved Re: [solved]HTTPS Forum

Post by Guest Fri 08 Feb 2019, 6:57 pm

It looks as though we would need to subscribe to the "Advanced" package with Forumotion to enable https. I don't have access to this option, only the founder can check this. I'll drop him a line and we'll see what is involved, also how much the monthly subscription is.
    smokingsig
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Post by smokingsig Mon 11 Feb 2019, 7:21 am

Oki thanks! Just wanted to let you know Wink
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Tue 12 Feb 2019, 10:18 pm

Yup, another reason why we should be moving away from this horrible platform but plans are made and no one follows through with them
    smokingsig
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Post by smokingsig Thu 11 Apr 2019, 8:26 am

Any news ?

Post by Guest Thu 11 Apr 2019, 4:29 pm

I've not heard anything, I'll give him a nudge Wink
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Fri 12 Apr 2019, 8:23 pm

sweet fuck all will happen, wouldn't even bother getting your hopes up.

Post by Guest Sat 13 Apr 2019, 2:35 pm

Jameshambleton wrote:sweet fuck all will happen, wouldn't even bother getting your hopes up.

Even so, better to have this site as it is, than not at all James?
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Sat 13 Apr 2019, 9:53 pm

teamster1975 wrote:
    Jameshambleton wrote:sweet fuck all will happen, wouldn't even bother getting your hopes up.

I'd say not so much;

Given half the moderators are/ have being inactive for more than 6 months to regularly 2+ years, makes the site more so insecure in the form of old passwords.

That and any user login data transmitted to the servers will be much more easily identifiable as most traffic routed the internet is https thus http traffic stands out more on networking sniffing.

The lack of communication from the owner, regarding the domain and hosting. This has being a problem that has being known and documented for over 3 years now.

The lack of easily findable content due to the search function, means tonnes of duplicate threads.

This site should have being allowed to die and everyone should have moved to https://www.cb500club.org.uk/forum/ key content is easy enough to find and everything could be re-written such as the maintenance/servicing ect. There is very little point of doing in on this site as no one really cares to actually change anything.
    jerryfudd
    jerryfudd
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd Sun 14 Apr 2019, 9:42 am

Jameshambleton wrote:
    teamster1975 wrote:

I'd say not so much;

Given half the moderators are/ have being inactive for more than 6 months to regularly 2+ years, makes the site more so insecure in the form of old passwords.

That and any user login data transmitted to the servers will be much more easily identifiable as most traffic routed the internet is https thus http traffic stands out more on networking sniffing.

The lack of communication from the owner, regarding the domain and hosting. This has being a problem that has being known and documented for over 3 years now.

The lack of easily findable content due to the search function, means tonnes of duplicate threads.

This site should have being allowed to die and everyone should have moved to https://www.cb500club.org.uk/forum/  key content is easy enough to find and everything could be re-written such as the maintenance/servicing ect. There is very little point of doing in on this site as no one really cares to actually change anything.

wow, someone should make you a mod.... oh Smile

to be honest there isn't a great amount of activity and I have to consciously take time to come read and quite frankly daily life gets in the way.

my opinion is to hell with the history and should have gone to Facebook as frankly keeping people together when they have nothing really to say is what it does best and even the spare 2mins on the throne is spent keeping in touch.

the one I created when the forum went wrong is still sitting there and just admin'ed shambleton as options are good and this man has a fire in his belly.

link

Dan

(EDIT: just been told about 'Honda CB500 Owners UK' link)
    Beresford
    Beresford
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Beresford Sun 14 Apr 2019, 9:13 pm

Sorry, but if things move to facebook I won't be there. No way, no how.
    wornsprokets
    wornsprokets
    the 900
    the 900

Post by wornsprokets Sun 14 Apr 2019, 10:32 pm

James is right if owner of this forum doesnt care about this forum or on it once  or twice a year... It has died a death already..  I am not mad about facebook either beresford... But if it keeps forum going worth doing.. .. Guess cb 500 model a very old bike now..  Quite few are in breakers especially early jap versions and alot newer ones raced. And whats left on road are getting tired. Ive stil my two cbs.  It has to go to fb to survive...
    I am friends with three forum members on fb so i dont really see problem going to an other platforum
    geewhizz
    geewhizz
    the 900
    the 900

Post by geewhizz Tue 16 Apr 2019, 8:22 am

I've not been on this site much recently due to not using the bike so far this year. However, like Beresford I'd probably not use facebook. Happy to migrate to an other platform tho, the one James sent a link to looks decent.
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Wed 17 Apr 2019, 8:40 pm

geewhizz wrote:I've not been on this site much recently due to not using the bike so far this year. However, like Beresford I'd probably not use facebook. Happy to migrate to an other platform tho, the one James sent a link to looks decent.

The one I linked we were supoosed to start using and transfering data over but suprise suprise nothing materialised
    smokingsig
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Post by smokingsig Fri 24 May 2019, 2:15 pm

So no one is able to contact the owner of this website ?

Post by Guest Fri 24 May 2019, 6:27 pm

smokingsig wrote:So no one is able to contact the owner of this website ?

No. I PM'd him about a month ago and he did not reply, plus messages in the mod forum.
    We have to wait 6 months since his last visit (February) and can then request from Forumotion that ownership is transferred.
    It's a shame he lost interest, I know this is a hobby for all of us but there is no need for him to abandon the site.
    Watch this space, as they say, there is also the option of the alternative site which was linked further up this thread, which unfortunately is starting from scratch.
    smokingsig
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Post by smokingsig Mon 27 May 2019, 12:56 pm

teamster1975 wrote:

smokingsig wrote:So no one is able to contact the owner of this website ?

No. I PM'd him about a month ago and he did not reply, plus messages in the mod forum.
    We have to wait 6 months since his last visit (February) and can then request from Forumotion that ownership is transferred.
    It's a shame he lost interest, I know this is a hobby for all of us but there is no need for him to abandon the site.
    Watch this space, as they say, there is also the option of the alternative site which was linked further up this thread, which unfortunately is starting from scratch.

Thx. Maybe he has some private problems we don't know that. 

Is he also the owner of the new forum ? Otherwise we should make a new one ? Smile

I got 2 CB500's and love to have a good forum for these bikes
    smokingsig
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Post by smokingsig Thu 04 Jul 2019, 11:04 am

teamster1975 wrote:No. I PM'd him about a month ago and he did not reply, plus messages in the mod forum.

2 more months to go!  cheers

I don't even think we should go to another forum. We just need to upgrade this one from ForumNotion. We are running some old outdated stuff...
    sullivj
    the 900
    the 900

Post by sullivj Fri 12 Jul 2019, 10:11 pm

I used to be a big contributor to this forum, no also set up and run the shim exchange for the benefit of others.

I'm sad to say that the CB500 Facebook page is where it's at nowadays. It is hopeless for searching and storing of technical items, but great for photos, videos and uock updates.

There are many more contributors to the FB page, than on here, and it's uock and easy.

Shame really, but that's progress I suppose.
    smokingsig
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Post by smokingsig Thu 05 Sep 2019, 11:40 am

2 months are over, time to take control mods

Post by Guest Thu 05 Sep 2019, 12:10 pm

smokingsig wrote:2 months are over, time to take control mods

It's in progress ;-) I've been on holiday so getting up to date with work back log and kids back to school.
    smokingsig
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Post by smokingsig Thu 05 Sep 2019, 2:52 pm

Woohoow thx! Take you time no rush Smile
    Beresford
    Beresford
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Beresford Thu 05 Sep 2019, 3:38 pm

sullivj wrote:I used to be a big contributor to this forum, no also set up and run the shim exchange for the benefit of others.

I'm sad to say that the CB500 Facebook page is where it's at nowadays. It is hopeless for searching and storing of technical items, but great for photos, videos and uock updates.

There are many more contributors to the FB page, than on here, and it's uock and easy.

Shame really, but that's progress I suppose.

Keep up the good work with the shim exchange sully - I'm going to need it soon. Very Happy

I meant to ask ( as an adamant non-f/book user ) what's "uock" ?
    Lucifer_
    Lucifer_

Post by Lucifer_ Sun 22 Sep 2019, 11:56 am

I realise I've only just appeared out of nowhere here but I have a full XenForo licence and space to host a forum if that's of any interest? Plus, I can provide a free SSL certificate through LetsEncrypt.

The licence just requires a renewal for $55USD (about 44 GBP) to get the latest version.
    I'm very experienced with administering XenForo/IPboard (Invision) so can help out there too. (I used to run a fairly large gaming community)

Any interest?
    I do understand that it would not be possible to "export" the contents from this forum however a few hours of dedicated copy/paste could alleviate the amount of data "lost"...
    Lucifer_
    Lucifer_

Post by Lucifer_ Sun 22 Sep 2019, 4:12 pm

teamster1975 wrote:

smokingsig wrote:2 months are over, time to take control mods

It's in progress ;-) I've been on holiday so getting up to date with work back log and kids back to school.

Please see above message - any thoughts?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 May 2024, 3:36 pm