CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

+10
skyrider
muttley1
Lucifer_
sullivj
geewhizz
wornsprokets
Beresford
jerryfudd
Jameshambleton
smokingsig
14 posters

[solved]HTTPS Forum

Solved Re: [solved]HTTPS Forum

Post by Guest Mon 23 Sep 2019, 1:14 pm

Lucifer_ wrote:
    teamster1975 wrote:

smokingsig wrote:2 months are over, time to take control mods

It's in progress ;-) I've been on holiday so getting up to date with work back log and kids back to school.

Please see above message - any thoughts?

That's very kind of you to offer, but as you will see above, our member Eternally_Troubled has done this, but without any data carried over. The link is further up the page. The backend DB at Forumotion does not allow exporting so it would be an entirely manual process to migrate data. Once I get founder access, I can see how much they will charge for the paid forum package.
    muttley1
    the 900
    the 900

Post by muttley1 Mon 23 Sep 2019, 4:43 pm

Look at my shiny technology, no - move to my shiny technology, sorry, see what shiny technology I know...

History lesson, this forum was set up after the previous version went south in a stream of bickering, fallouts and annoyance after an open social forum was set up.
    Plenty of technical data went with it and this site has built it up again, thanks to the mods for keeping it happening.

I'm not interested in shiny, new for new's sake. The reality is that there are less and less cb5's about and keeping them running is what I find this place useful for. I don't want social, I have real life friends for that.

Muttley1
    Beresford
    Beresford
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Beresford Mon 23 Sep 2019, 10:53 pm

muttley1 wrote:I'm not interested in shiny, new for new's sake. The reality is that there are less and less cb5's about and keeping them running is what I find this place useful for. I don't want social, I have real life friends for that.

Muttley1
    I'd go with this.

Post by Guest Tue 24 Sep 2019, 12:57 pm

Beresford wrote:
    muttley1 wrote:I'm not interested in shiny, new for new's sake. The reality is that there are less and less cb5's about and keeping them running is what I find this place useful for. I don't want social, I have real life friends for that.

Muttley1

I'd go with this.

Can you cast your vote here please gents to satisfy Forumotions transfer process.
    muttley1
    the 900
    the 900

Post by muttley1 Wed 25 Sep 2019, 9:42 pm

Done ! Hopefully some progress soon...

muttley1
    skyrider
    skyrider
    the 900
    the 900

Post by skyrider Thu 17 Oct 2019, 7:27 pm

any news yet  confused

Post by Guest Fri 18 Oct 2019, 2:36 pm

skyrider wrote:any news yet  confused

No, I'll wait until the poll has been up for a month which is the 24th and then approach Forumotion again. They said it should be active for two months but that is not possible with our time scale, ie the domain expiring at the end of the month.
    To be honest, having to wait six months and then post a poll for two months is totally unreasonable, it is as if they want forums to fail.
    smokingsig
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Post by smokingsig Fri 25 Oct 2019, 6:54 am

So is this goodbye then ? only 6 days left until the domain is gone ?  Crying or Very sad

Post by Guest Fri 25 Oct 2019, 4:28 pm

smokingsig wrote:So is this goodbye then ? only 6 days left until the domain is gone ?  Crying or Very sad

If I can't get access to the founder account before the poll has been up for two months, then yes Sad
    There used to be an alternate URL to access the site but this appears to have disappeared. The person I have been speaking to at Forumotion is not the most forthcoming, I will persevere though. For the sake of a hobby site you would have thought they would be more supportive, it's done my head in.
    davecb5002
    davecb5002
    Mothra the Radioactive
    Mothra the Radioactive

Post by davecb5002 Fri 25 Oct 2019, 4:42 pm

Best of luck with that then,would be a great pity to lose this Forum.I do not always sign in but check regularly. Hope you can resolve matters before aggggggggggggggone affraid affraid
    skyrider
    skyrider
    the 900
    the 900

Post by skyrider Fri 25 Oct 2019, 6:51 pm

hope we have success on this one and we still have a forum keep us posted  [solved]HTTPS Forum - Page 2 737901405

Post by Guest Fri 25 Oct 2019, 7:10 pm

skyrider wrote:hope we have success on this one and we still have a forum keep us posted  [solved]HTTPS Forum - Page 2 737901405

I'll keep you all posted; even if it does go off the air the site will still exist on Forumotion, so we just need this damned access sorted!
    trevor machine
    trevor machine
    the 900
    the 900

Post by trevor machine Sun 27 Oct 2019, 12:02 pm

Thanks for persevering.

Case in point - I used to be a member of a suzuki vanvan forum a few years ago. The bike was first manufactured in the early 2000s (ignore the '70s beach bike). A fairly active forum sprang up not long after - but in the past year or three it dwindled away to almost nothing. This morning I tried to find it - and it's gone. I thought I'd googled incorrectly or something - but then I searched my firefox bookmarks and tried to link from there. Yep - definitely defunct. Such a shame as there was a goodly amount of technical knowledge and owner experience. I mean, in the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal - it was just the old GN125 engine surrounded by whacky styling cues. Still - it's sad and disappointing to see the site's been killed by web-rot.

Reading this thread, and having witnessed the decline and fall of similar sites and forums, I know fine well it's a regular occurrence. Nevertheless - bummer.

I hope we can pull through this - the 500 has earned it!
    davecb5002
    davecb5002
    Mothra the Radioactive
    Mothra the Radioactive

Post by davecb5002 Sun 27 Oct 2019, 12:11 pm

I agree with that sentiment entirely and hope the site can be saved.It really is a mine of information.So good luck . cheers cheers
    Beresford
    Beresford
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Beresford Sun 27 Oct 2019, 4:05 pm

Can we use the Wayback Machine to save an archived copy of the site?
    Beresford
    Beresford
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Beresford Tue 29 Oct 2019, 9:58 am

Went to log in just now and got this !
    [solved]HTTPS Forum - Page 2 GP8POwOxUnoLRdwAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

Post by Guest Tue 29 Oct 2019, 11:58 am

Beresford wrote:Went to log in just now and got this !

It's a lot better than I was expecting, the subdomain cb500.forumotion.com did not exist last year so at least we are not off the air :-)
    OldRocker
    OldRocker
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Post by OldRocker Tue 29 Oct 2019, 12:12 pm

Beresford wrote:Sorry, but if things move to facebook I won't be there. No way, no how.

Nor me, face ache and all those so called social media c rap.
    davecb5002
    davecb5002
    Mothra the Radioactive
    Mothra the Radioactive

Post by davecb5002 Tue 29 Oct 2019, 5:26 pm

Istill managed to log on,had to faff about a bit.But got there in the end.Like oldrocker i will not use facebook Shocked Shocked
    skyrider
    skyrider
    the 900
    the 900

Post by skyrider Tue 29 Oct 2019, 6:58 pm

yea i just had to re-log in and found us all here again  Very Happy
    skyrider
    skyrider
    the 900
    the 900

Post by skyrider Fri 06 Dec 2019, 8:16 pm

so whats the big news ?

Post by Guest Sat 07 Dec 2019, 12:21 pm

skyrider wrote:so whats the big news ?

The big news is that "Spitonyourgrave22" the site owner, recovered his password on the 31st October, logged in on the 2nd Nov, and hasn't been back since despite my messaging him. This has sabotaged my attempt to transfer ownership and unfortunately we will have to wait again to request transfer.
    I'm glad this is not a commercial site because it is a total shambles.
    Beresford
    Beresford
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Beresford Sat 07 Dec 2019, 10:16 pm

I don't understand the technicalities of websites, does this site https://cb500.forumotion.com have a limited life, while we wait for the domain owners to get their act together regarding http://www.cb500club.net/forum ?

Post by Guest Sun 08 Dec 2019, 6:15 pm

Beresford wrote:I don't understand the technicalities of websites, does this site https://cb500.forumotion.com have a limited life, while we wait for the domain owners to get their act together regarding http://www.cb500club.net/forum ?

No not at all, in fact I didn't know that cb500.forumotion existed until the cb500club.net domain expired so it's a bonus!
    We can carry on as we are indefinitely, but of course cannot do anything about enabling https.
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Sat 15 Feb 2020, 8:39 pm

Came here expecting no progress, wasn't disappointed  Laughing

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 May 2024, 1:54 pm