CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

3 posters

Replacing the end can - what about the downpipes?

Bonio
    Bonio

Replacing the end can - what about the downpipes? Empty Replacing the end can - what about the downpipes?

Post by Bonio Sun 27 May 2012, 9:41 pm

Hi,

I got a stainless end can off ebay to replace the current standard can that's currently on the CB500S. The existing can is beat up and rusted, and my main aim is to make the bike look a bit less skanky.

Anyway, I looked at the Haynes manual today and the advice is to remove the entire exhaust, downpipes and all, assemble the new can to the old downpipes, and then put the whole assembly back. The thing is, I'd really prefer to avoid doing this as I don't want to risk stripping the bolts that secure the pipes to the engine.

So here's my question: it is possible to replace the end can while leaving the downpipes in place? Any one done this before? Any advice?

Cheers!
    mikeyg143
    mikeyg143
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

Replacing the end can - what about the downpipes? Empty Re: Replacing the end can - what about the downpipes?

Post by mikeyg143 Sun 27 May 2012, 10:12 pm

Yes you'd be absolutely off your nut to take the downpipes off to fit a can. Haynes writers piss around on brand new bikes so it's easy fucking peasy to take the headers off.

Just undo the clamp and slip the original can off, and slip the new one on. HTH

Replacing the end can - what about the downpipes? Empty Re: Replacing the end can - what about the downpipes?

Post by Guest Mon 28 May 2012, 12:24 pm

The only problem will be if the can has rusted to the downpipes; then it will be a complete sod to separate unless you can get hold of a decent blowlamp to heat it up.

I ended up ditching the entire lot and getting a complete system, apart from the lack of rust and no more yearly re-paints it looks a hell of a lot better!
    fryatuck
    fryatuck
    Three's a Charm
    Three's a Charm

Post by fryatuck Mon 28 May 2012, 3:55 pm

easy job to do, I got a 2" inlet Scorpion race can off ebay for £10 cut it down from 450mm to 380mm because it had a dent, repacked it with eglass £10, new removable baffles £15 link pipe from delkevic.co.uk 20 minutes and job done left headers alone.

http://www.delkevic.co.uk/?section=shop&bike_manufacturer=honda&bike_model=cb500_19942003&product_category=exhaust_s7rhj&sub_category=link_pipes_uoax3&product=honda_link_pipes&variant=cb500_sport_link_pipe_________stainless_steel_inc_clamp
    maybe stainless headers next year cheers
    Hope all goes well.
    Regards.
    Martin. Replacing the end can - what about the downpipes? 737901405

Bonio
    Bonio

Post by Bonio Mon 28 May 2012, 8:39 pm

Thanks everyone - really helpful. I've give it go at the weekend.
    Bonio
    Bonio

Post by Bonio Sat 16 Jun 2012, 1:01 pm

All done. Sounds good, and got a bit more power, too. Thanks again.

Post by Guest Sat 16 Jun 2012, 1:20 pm

Well done that man!
    fryatuck
    fryatuck
    Three's a Charm
    Three's a Charm

Post by fryatuck Sat 16 Jun 2012, 6:27 pm

Great its nice to have more power Wink

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 13 May 2024, 8:11 am