CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

2 posters

Headlight problem and looming MOT

Beresford
    Beresford
    the 900
    the 900

Headlight problem and looming MOT Empty Headlight problem and looming MOT

Post by Beresford Sat 10 Aug 2013, 5:53 pm

With the MOT looming I decided to investigate a problem I've been having. There were 2 symptoms, a rattling from the front end and being unable to set the headlamp beam so it would aim correctly (mine's a CB500S) I stripped the fairing to remove the light unit and found that the reflector was flopping around loose within the light shell. There was a piece of broken off plastic inside as well.
    Headlight problem and looming MOT SAM_1465_zps52e9f3f3

The reflector had come adrift of the adjustment screws. I can probably repair the unit if I can get it apart. Can this be done without wrecking everything, anybody know ?

Last edited by Beresford on Tue 27 Aug 2013, 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Beresford
    Beresford
    the 900
    the 900

Headlight problem and looming MOT Empty Re: Headlight problem and looming MOT

Post by Beresford Sun 11 Aug 2013, 11:54 pm

Nothing available on ebay so no option but to attack the unit an see what was up. I used a scalpel to slice into the bond between the shell and the glass. It was surprisingly soft and easy to cut.
    Headlight problem and looming MOT SAM_1466_zps2a66387d
    I undid the adjuster screws and the third support turned out to be a ball and socket which I levered off using the handle of a pair of pliers.
    Headlight problem and looming MOT SAM_1467_zps6cd7881e
    The problem inside turned out to be one of the adjuster screw pillars on the back of the reflector. I think vibration had loosened the attachment screw causing the pillar to break off. The reflector was just flapping around and rattling on the shell.
    Headlight problem and looming MOT SAM_1469_zpsda65f85a
    Some Araldite epoxy metal applied and all is back together.
    Headlight problem and looming MOT SAM_1479_zpsecf9f27c
    I cleaned up the joint area between the glass and the shell and stuck them back together with translucent kitchen silicone sealer which was lying around in the shed.
    Total cost 0p
    Smile

Last edited by Beresford on Tue 27 Aug 2013, 10:40 pm; edited 4 times in total

Post by Guest Mon 12 Aug 2013, 1:17 pm

Great job mate and a nice guide! Very Happy
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Thu 15 Aug 2013, 1:41 pm

Nice one.  I was about to suggest 'just take it apart and have a look'... then you did!

Araldite is good stuff!
    Beresford
    Beresford
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Beresford Tue 27 Aug 2013, 3:47 pm

MOT successfully negotiated except for one advisory. He didn't like the numberplate. The digits are the correct size but too close together !!! Luckily I have the original and some sticky pads. Twisted Evil

Post by Guest Tue 27 Aug 2013, 7:48 pm

Great news! Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 16 Oct 2024, 3:18 pm