CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

+3
trevor machine
Ayrton F
jonny10
7 posters

What's it worth?

hobbes748
    hobbes748
    Hyper Viper
    Hyper Viper

What's it worth? Empty What's it worth?

Post by hobbes748 Fri 19 Dec 2014, 4:27 pm

Gents

I'm humming and hawing about letting the CB go next year.  I've seriously run out of space in the workshop and things have to either go outside - or just go, as I want to shoehorn a big crosser in there now.

Ebay prices seem to vary wildly so I'm not too sure what I could get for the ol' gal to help me decide.

It's in really pretty good condition and I'm loathed to move it outside to watch it deteriorate.  If it's worth OK money I'll stick it on Gumtree/Ebay/here next year, but if I'll not really get that much for her then out she goes into the cold....

It's a blue 2002 with a genuine 12.5k on the clocks.

I had it serviced at Honda earlier this year @9.5k.

Forks seals & oil replaced by me about 200 miles ago.

New rear tyre about 100 miles ago.

There's bit of a dent at the bottom of the tank from when the previous owner knocked it over onto his bedside cabinet (yes; he was a bit weird).  It's on the left side so you can't see it when it's on the side stand and your leg hides it when you're on the bike.

When the engine gets hot it can be difficult to hit neutral when stationery.  It's fine as long as you're moving.  It's not a notched basket as Honda checked that.  Probably a warped steel in the clutch pack according to them.  Not really a problem - more a niggle to sort next time the side casing comes off.

Got a set of engine bars on it.

Comes with a restrictor kit (not fitted) along with the certificate and the headstock sticker.

Other than that - bog standard. 

Returns me about 63mpg.

Any sensible suggestions about what the going rate is for a bike in this condition would go for would be greatly appreciated to help me come to a decision about it.

Thanks.
    jonny10
    jonny10
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

What's it worth? Empty Re: What's it worth?

Post by jonny10 Sat 20 Dec 2014, 12:17 am

Pics would've helped....
    If it's in good condition, with them low miles I'd say £1200 - £1500.
    The dent and the neutral issue might knock it down to £1000.
    You could hit lucky & find a buyer who needs a low miles hack who can fix the neutral prolem and would be happy to pay over £1500
    hobbes748
    hobbes748
    Hyper Viper
    Hyper Viper

Post by hobbes748 Sat 20 Dec 2014, 12:03 pm

jonny10 wrote:Pics would've helped....
    If it's in good condition, with them low miles I'd say £1200 - £1500.
    The dent and the neutral issue might knock it down to £1000.
    You could hit lucky & find a buyer who needs a low miles hack who can fix the neutral prolem and would be happy to pay over £1500

Thanks

Pics here.  Hopefully...

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=31A1D5751F374770!1835&authkey=!AH_6oKQlsFvGxUg&ithint=folder%2c
    Ayrton F
    Ayrton F
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

Post by Ayrton F Sat 20 Dec 2014, 1:02 pm

Bike looks good man. Love the blue! 

Is the restrictor already fitted to it ?
    hobbes748
    hobbes748
    Hyper Viper
    Hyper Viper

Post by hobbes748 Sat 20 Dec 2014, 1:37 pm

Ayrton F wrote:Bike looks good man. Love the blue! 

Is the restrictor already fitted to it ?

Thanks! 

Not any more as I had Honda remove the kit when it was serviced. It was fitted when I bought the bike and I did run with it on for a while but TBH it makes very little difference unless you're the type who needs to nail it in every gear as it's just a 'T' shaped plate with two holes for bolting it to the carb that acts as a throttle stop.
    trevor machine
    trevor machine
    the 900
    the 900

Post by trevor machine Sat 20 Dec 2014, 9:45 pm

There's a one owner 40k cb500 in the latest motorcycle monthly for £1300 - dunno if that helps. Regardless, although that's a fair old chunk of cash it'd be a sweet bike for someone. It's the unfared one btw.
    sullivj
    the 900
    the 900

Post by sullivj Sun 21 Dec 2014, 7:46 am

Agree that pics would help. 

I paid £1,100 for mine with 11k miles. I thought that was a fair price.

Ultimately, it's only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it.
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Sun 21 Dec 2014, 5:40 pm

I think their estimates are about right - somewhere between 900 quid and 1400 quid depending on who wants it and how lucky you are.

I'm pretty sure that it will sell for more in the spring/summer than now, so if you can it is worth waiting. It might well be worth investing in a good cover (not the cheapo one from Argos) that is actually waterproof - this should help stave off the worst of the weather until the spring.

hobbes748
    hobbes748
    Hyper Viper
    Hyper Viper

Post by hobbes748 Mon 22 Dec 2014, 9:39 am

Thanks guys!  It's been helpful to have some other opinions as you always tend to over value a bike when it's your own.

I've not got a new toy yet so it's safe in the workshop for now but what I think I might do in the spring is let the market decide whether I keep the CB or not.  I'll Gumtree it (and offer it here of course) for about £1200 ish ono.  If I get an offer over £1k it goes, but the offers come in at under £1k it stays here but outside.
    muttley1
    the 900
    the 900

Post by muttley1 Mon 22 Dec 2014, 11:34 am

Seconded, £1100-1200. All depends where you are and if there's someone that keen on it. Recent Honda service is a bonus.

atb

muttley1
    hobbes748
    hobbes748
    Hyper Viper
    Hyper Viper

Post by hobbes748 Tue 23 Dec 2014, 7:33 am

spitonyourgrave22 wrote:I would say for it's condition you'd be looking at between £1100 and £1200. Good price for it.

Where are you based?

North Berwick.  About 40 mins South of Edinburgh and about 40 mins North of the english border.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 17 May 2024, 6:04 am