CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

4 posters

how much is it worth??

glen.wilson1@gmx.com
    glen.wilson1@gmx.com
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

how much is it worth?? Empty how much is it worth??

Post by glen.wilson1@gmx.com Mon 25 Aug 2014, 3:03 pm

possibly looking at selling my cb. I fancy a couple of other things and initially i wanted a second bike as letting go of the cb will be hard but theres a lot of other bikes out there id like to try! anyway since ive had her ive done:
    new set tyres
    new front disc and pads
    wheel bairings
    powder coated wheels
    polished forks
    new front caliper
    twin lights
    indicators
    new radiator
    new seat cover
    fuel exhaust can
    k and n filter
    iridum spark plugs
    sub air filter
    valve clearences
    2xengine temp sensor
    respray(half rattle can half powder coaters help lol)
    new shocks
    rear light cover
    new battery
    new gold chain and sprockets
    reg/rec
    alternator
    horn
    throttle cables
    carb clean
    master cylinder overall
    vacuum pipes/overflow pipes
    exhaust bolts (not by choice!)
    new fan
    radiator protector
    as she stands shes done about 49,000 and just had another oil change after 3,500 miles.
    how much is it worth?? 20140720_195835_zpsmzirselh
    sullivj
    the 900
    the 900

how much is it worth?? Empty Re: how much is it worth??

Post by sullivj Mon 25 Aug 2014, 10:54 pm

The short answer Glen is probably not what you've spent, let alone the time and effort!

With that mileage, I would say £900ish. You'd be better off keeping it.
    glen.wilson1@gmx.com
    glen.wilson1@gmx.com
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by glen.wilson1@gmx.com Tue 26 Aug 2014, 8:55 am

I reckon your right I was thinking £800 ish with all thats been done. Id lose a few hundred quid at that price but thats my fault ha.
    HomeBrew
    HomeBrew
    the 900
    the 900

Post by HomeBrew Tue 26 Aug 2014, 9:25 am

Was thinking the same price, still it's good to keep an older bike running and in good health. What new bike were you thinking of anyway?
    glen.wilson1@gmx.com
    glen.wilson1@gmx.com
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by glen.wilson1@gmx.com Tue 26 Aug 2014, 10:27 am

HomeBrew wrote:Was thinking the same price, still it's good to keep an older bike running and in good health. What new bike were you thinking of anyway?
    that is the question im a bit of a bike tart lol
    i like alsorts!!

long term id like a yamaha xjr 1300 but i might in the meantime go for an old 600 sports for something a bit diffrent. I could pick one up for under a £1000 and still keep the cb. will see what 2 bike insurance looks like never done it before. i also like the cb1000 either way it would be a naked or 600 sports/ sports tourer. i was at a bike show the other day  this always happens when i go to them Laughing
    muttley1
    the 900
    the 900

Post by muttley1 Tue 26 Aug 2014, 11:50 am

HI,

definitely keep the cb5, seems you've put a lot into it and I reckon you'd regret it, nice looking bike too.
    As to insurance, I have a multi bike policy, works out about £40 per bike per year, incl breakdown.

Xjr12/1300: fast in straight line, comfy, heavy to corner and wallowy too. Sports 600, lot of bike for the money but older bike = more to go wrong/consumables cost more/previous owner bodging, handful in winter.

I've always kept the cb5 and had other bikes around it, works well on the roads I ride and will do anything asked of it.

m1
    glen.wilson1@gmx.com
    glen.wilson1@gmx.com
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by glen.wilson1@gmx.com Tue 26 Aug 2014, 2:54 pm

muttley1 wrote:HI,

definitely keep the cb5, seems you've put a lot into it and I reckon you'd regret it, nice looking bike too.
    As to insurance, I have a multi bike policy, works out about £40 per bike per year, incl breakdown.

Xjr12/1300: fast in straight line, comfy, heavy to corner and wallowy too. Sports 600, lot of bike for the money but older bike = more to go wrong/consumables cost more/previous owner bodging, handful in winter.

I've always kept the cb5 and had other bikes around it, works well on the roads I ride and will do anything asked of it.

m1

you raise some good points with keeping the bike it has been my play toy hence the work done on it, and as you say older 600s can have issues as anybike but sports bikes can be abused! cbr are reliable particularly the older carbed ones around 98/99 i lke ninjas and had a 636 with no issues but i think i got lucky. i also like the old gsxr srad which i know are a marmite bike but i like them but again lots of lovely gearbox and electrical issues with them. at some point I will get something im pushing towards a cheap 600 for now but will have to be careful and give it a good check, keeping the cb would mean any repairs to another bike can wait. bike insurance/policy seems good there might do a check with two bikes for me, im 35 next month so pushing on now! Laughing

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 17 May 2024, 5:25 am