CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

3 posters

Carb (float bowl) gasket

ceejay
    ceejay
    the 900
    the 900

Carb (float bowl) gasket Empty Carb (float bowl) gasket

Post by ceejay Fri 01 Apr 2016, 10:35 am

Just dismantled my carbs. There is some fine red crap in the float bowls (rust from the tank?) and lumps of the old sub air filter laying around but no varnish build up or anything like that and better than I was expecting to be honest. However the gasket between the float bowl and the carb body, although intact, looks worse for wear with cracking etc. I thought to myself not a problem - pick up some new ones... however they are not cheap - about £90 on lings for a pair! So I'm wondering is it worth using some sort of gasket sealant in combination with the existing gaskets? Any one have any experience of carb gasket sealant or is it a big no no?

Thanks
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Carb (float bowl) gasket Empty Re: Carb (float bowl) gasket

Post by Jameshambleton Fri 01 Apr 2016, 11:08 am

Is it part number 2 you're after? It's cheaper on Bike Parts Honda.
    ceejay
    ceejay
    the 900
    the 900

Post by ceejay Fri 01 Apr 2016, 11:45 am

Correct, thanks. Part No. 16010-MZ5-920 However I'll most likely need two so ~80 quid posted still seems a lot to me. 

FWIW it does look like some sealant was used on there from factory unless someone has had these carbs aprt before (which I doubt)... SO maybe I should be using some even with new gaskets?
    ceejay
    ceejay
    the 900
    the 900

Post by ceejay Fri 01 Apr 2016, 11:56 am

Update: Just found these non-honda ones for a tenner posted. With that price difference probably worth a go but will I still need sealant? hmm
    Stooby2
    Stooby2
    Godzilla
    Godzilla

Post by Stooby2 Fri 01 Apr 2016, 4:55 pm

The gaskets are expensive as they're designed to resist petrol, which normal rubber isn't good at. I hope your £10 ones are OK, but I have a feeling you may come to regret them.

Perosnally I'd buy the genuine ones, knowing they'll last another 15-20 years.

As for sealant, if you use it, just put the thinnest of smears on each face. Loose bits of sealant floating around can easily stop the float valve working. And check the sealant is suitable for use with petrol.
    ceejay
    ceejay
    the 900
    the 900

Post by ceejay Fri 01 Apr 2016, 6:00 pm

I'll give them a go. Just noticed on wemoto they are 3.67 each so maybe mine are 'premium'  Very Happy 

Thanks for the sealant tip, will try that.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 20 May 2024, 4:28 pm