CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

+4
sullivj
Jameshambleton
jim157
TheWizardofOdds
8 posters

Brake fluid reservoir

TheWizardofOdds
    TheWizardofOdds
    the 900
    the 900

Brake fluid reservoir  Empty Brake fluid reservoir

Post by TheWizardofOdds Wed 01 Jun 2016, 4:21 pm

I cannot tell from the sight glass how high/low the level on the front brake fluid reservoir is, I suspect it's fine though as the pads are good, no leaks, good braking operation etc. 

However, I've noticed that the two screws at the top are near enough rounded out. I've had a go at loosening them (anti-clockwise?!) And cannot get them to turn at all. Why the hell they've been tightened so much I don't know, I mean I'd never do a thing like that... wasn't me, but I will have to get that lid open at some point. I've tried some gt85 to loosen them but no luck. Other than fitting a new reservoir, where can I go from here?
    jim157
    jim157
    Two Tone
    Two Tone

Brake fluid reservoir  Empty Re: Brake fluid reservoir

Post by jim157 Wed 01 Jun 2016, 7:19 pm

I've had it on other bikes (on my CRM last week funnily enough) where the heads were rounded off.  I had to carefully drill out the heads (use small bits and work your way up, and dont drill too deep), then you can remove the M/C lid and wind the remains of the bolt out with a pair of pliers.
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Wed 01 Jun 2016, 8:03 pm

Have you tried a torex bit to turn them on a slight angle?
    TheWizardofOdds
    TheWizardofOdds
    the 900
    the 900

Post by TheWizardofOdds Thu 02 Jun 2016, 12:42 am

jim157 wrote:I've had it on other bikes (on my CRM last week funnily enough) where the heads were rounded off.  I had to carefully drill out the heads (use small bits and work your way up, and dont drill too deep), then you can remove the M/C lid and wind the remains of the bolt out with a pair of pliers.
     I can see that in my future. It sounds painstaking but I don't have too many options . Thanks.
    TheWizardofOdds
    TheWizardofOdds
    the 900
    the 900

Post by TheWizardofOdds Thu 02 Jun 2016, 12:45 am

Jameshambleton wrote:Have you tried a torex bit to turn them on a slight angle?

No, they're really getting round now after I've been at them too. Not a bad idea, even with the nice Proxxon screwdrivers I have they didn't even budge, not a millimetre. I'll give it a go, nothing else for it. Cheers.
    sullivj
    the 900
    the 900

Post by sullivj Thu 02 Jun 2016, 6:22 am

Gently hammer a flat head screwdriver in, and try to turn that. If that doesn't work,carefully drill the heads off.
    geewhizz
    geewhizz
    the 900
    the 900

Post by geewhizz Thu 02 Jun 2016, 1:00 pm

i had to dremel a deep grove on the bolt head so that i could use a big flat head screw driver, and then replaced them with allen key bolts which work a bit better imo.
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Tue 07 Jun 2016, 9:41 am

You may not have done them up too tight - they have a habit of seizing up solid, even if well treated. A *tiny* amount of copper-slip (or any grease, at a pinch) smeared on them before re-assembly (once you've got them out!) might aid future removal.

Good luck!
    TheWizardofOdds
    TheWizardofOdds
    the 900
    the 900

Post by TheWizardofOdds Wed 08 Jun 2016, 6:29 pm

sullivj wrote:Gently hammer a flat head screwdriver in, and try to turn that. If that doesn't work,carefully drill the heads off.

Oh man, I'm not sure about drill bit at all. I'll drill the hell out of it, no doubt. Cheers.
    TheWizardofOdds
    TheWizardofOdds
    the 900
    the 900

Post by TheWizardofOdds Wed 08 Jun 2016, 6:31 pm

geewhizz wrote:i had to dremel a deep grove on the bolt head so that i could use a big flat head screw driver, and then replaced them with allen key bolts which work a bit better imo.
    I don't have a dremel but I'll maybe drill them out. Good idea about Allen key replacement though.
    TheWizardofOdds
    TheWizardofOdds
    the 900
    the 900

Post by TheWizardofOdds Wed 08 Jun 2016, 6:33 pm

eternally_troubled wrote:You may not have done them up too tight - they have a habit of seizing up solid, even if well treated.  A *tiny* amount of copper-slip (or any grease, at a pinch) smeared on them before re-assembly (once you've got them out!) might aid future removal.

Good luck!
    Im not guilty of tightening them, I haven't touched the reservoir since I got the bike. But I have to deal with it now, that's for sure. 
    If I replace them with screws I'll def copper slip em. Cheers. 
    pendleton_j
    pendleton_j
    Hyper Viper
    Hyper Viper

Post by pendleton_j Thu 09 Jun 2016, 10:47 pm

Had that problem on the old bike, didn't have confidence drilling out, so went with the slot method after all other options were exhausted. Didn't have a dremel, which made things difficult, so ended up using a combination of hacksaw and triangular file. Did a little bit of damage to the top of the reservoir though, which I wasn't personally worried about but is worth looking out for.
    Anigai
    Anigai
    Four's a...something...
    Four's a...something...

Post by Anigai Fri 10 Jun 2016, 12:58 pm

I ruined one of mine taking it out, I knew by the feel when I started going at it that it would strip if i continued.

I used the rubber band trick where you get a nice thick one to place over whatever you want to turn.
    It helps spread the force within the screw and lets you put in a little more power.

Luckily I found a compatible screw to replace it in a pile of dirt in the corner though haha.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 10 May 2024, 2:36 pm