CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

4 posters

Main light switch and front brake light switch.

freeride
    freeride
    Laser Shark
    Laser Shark

Main light switch and front brake light switch. Empty Main light switch and front brake light switch.

Post by freeride Mon 20 Feb 2017, 8:13 pm

I've got the main rhs switch apart but does the little screw next to the light switch(inside the body) secure the switch? Can you pull the switch apart to clean the terminals or if not how do you clean it-cotton buds are too large. Does the slider on the outside just lever off?

The front brake switch is faulty any ideas to remove and clean it?
    Thanks
    Beresford
    Beresford
    the 900
    the 900

Main light switch and front brake light switch. Empty Re: Main light switch and front brake light switch.

Post by Beresford Mon 20 Feb 2017, 11:45 pm

Don't take it apart. Just immerse it in a cleaning fluid, swish it around and then liberally swamp with a switch lube.
    hh_12345
    hh_12345
    Mothra the Radioactive
    Mothra the Radioactive

Main light switch and front brake light switch. Empty Re: Main light switch and front brake light switch.

Post by hh_12345 Tue 21 Feb 2017, 7:35 am

It is easy to take it apart, but it is as easy to break it - I broke  mine the first time I tried to take it apart to clean it.

I have to take a look at the switch to remember the correct order for pulling the parts out. I think there is one or two screws inside to take out first, then a black plastic half of the main light switch case has to be detached and then the slider itself. But I am not sure. Whatever you do be patient, careful and gentle with the plastics.

If it is not that dirty and works fine maybe there is no need to go that far and what Beresford suggested will be ok.
    freeride
    freeride
    Laser Shark
    Laser Shark

Post by freeride Tue 21 Feb 2017, 7:39 am

Many thanks. It is just when you go from headlight to side lights it flickers once and I wasn't sure about the MOT due. By the looks of it it hasn't seen the daylight since 1998 so I'll go the cleaning route.
    hh_12345
    hh_12345
    Mothra the Radioactive
    Mothra the Radioactive

Post by hh_12345 Tue 21 Feb 2017, 7:57 am

Also keep in mind that  excessive force is not needed to take it apart so if a part refuses to come out it probably is not meant to come out in the manner you're trying to take it out. Very Happy

If you manage to take it apart look out for the tiny springs and metal balls inside they tend to pop out and  are easy to lose.
    freeride
    freeride
    Laser Shark
    Laser Shark

Post by freeride Thu 23 Feb 2017, 9:07 pm

I've bought some Holts switch and contact cleaner so it must just vapourise?
    hh_12345
    hh_12345
    Mothra the Radioactive
    Mothra the Radioactive

Post by hh_12345 Fri 24 Feb 2017, 12:22 pm

freeride wrote:I've bought some Holts switch and contact cleaner so it must just vapourise?

I have a can of motip contact cleaner and it evaporates quite quickly, I use it for all sorts of cleaning , not only on electrics.
    spanner monkey
    spanner monkey
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Post by spanner monkey Fri 24 Feb 2017, 5:42 pm

freeride wrote:I've bought some Holts switch and contact cleaner so it must just vapourise?

Have you fixed the issues now ? Unless I mis understood, you mentioned also the brake light switch so As that's separate from the switch gear, a couple of quid for a new one if it doesn't clean up, and an easy on/off.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 11 May 2024, 6:27 am