CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

5 posters

How did you repair your leaking CB500 Fuel Tap/PetCock?

deejay
    deejay
    Hyper Viper
    Hyper Viper

How did you repair your leaking CB500 Fuel Tap/PetCock? Empty How did you repair your leaking CB500 Fuel Tap/PetCock?

Post by deejay Mon 01 Aug 2022, 9:15 pm

My original Fuel Tap is leaking like a sieve and I have to make a decision on what to do now.

I have read the posts on here which refer to repairing it; replacing with second-hand OE; or investing in a Chinese aftermarket alternative.

With a few comments for and against each option, I have no idea which way to go. 

Therefore, I wondered if members would kindly share their experiences of life with their CB's after choosing an repair option and installing it please?
    Rob the dog
    Rob the dog
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

How did you repair your leaking CB500 Fuel Tap/PetCock? Empty Re: How did you repair your leaking CB500 Fuel Tap/PetCock?

Post by Rob the dog Sat 06 Aug 2022, 8:51 am

I replaced the seals on my tap with a kit from eBay about eight years ago, I didn’t use every part in the kit because I couldn’t see how to strip the whole unit down without causing damage so I just fitted what was easy to get too mainly a couple of rubber seals and a diaphragm ……. Eight years on still leak free at the same time I replaced the fuel pipe and made it slightly longer to help with access and also fitted an inline fuel filter.

deejay likes this post

Al1040
    Al1040
    Running out of unique names

How did you repair your leaking CB500 Fuel Tap/PetCock? Empty Re: How did you repair your leaking CB500 Fuel Tap/PetCock?

Post by Al1040 Fri 19 Aug 2022, 3:45 pm

I did a half way house and went with the replacement Ali Express petcock (mainly because I need the filter screen as mine was knackered) but also extended the fuel line and fitted an in-line filter.
    A year later all good with no leaks.

deejay likes this post

deejay
    deejay
    Hyper Viper
    Hyper Viper

Post by deejay Mon 22 Aug 2022, 10:31 am

Al1040 wrote:I did a half way house and went with the replacement Ali Express petcock (mainly because I need the filter screen as mine was knackered) but also extended the fuel line and fitted an in-line filter.
    A year later all good with no leaks.

I have never used ALi Express but have seen the similarly described petcocks on eBay, with a price range of around £15 up to £35.
    They all seem to look alike but I'm wondering if there is a difference between them, and does the price reflect the difference.

I just want my CB working...
    Al1040
    Al1040

Post by Al1040 Mon 22 Aug 2022, 3:47 pm

I would imagine that they are all from the same (Chinese) source, just different markups depending upon who was importing them, can't see many factories competing to make the same products.

Mine works, but as with all these things unless you can get and are willing to pay for OEM.. its a pays your money and takes your chances sort of deal scratch

deejay likes this post

deejay
    deejay
    Hyper Viper
    Hyper Viper

Post by deejay Thu 15 Sep 2022, 8:50 pm

I couldn't decide so I got a repair kit and a Chinese fuel-tap. 
    After getting the fuel tank off the bike, I think I'll go with the repair kit and keep the fuel-tap for back-up
     How did you repair your leaking CB500 Fuel Tap/PetCock? 30652210

Al1040 likes this post

burudi
    burudi
    Laser Shark
    Laser Shark

Post by burudi Sun 18 Sep 2022, 7:23 pm

observe where it starts to come out if there are doubts, clean fuel and observe again.
    If it is clearly not a joint problem, I suggest using silicone for motor joints in the area of ​​the leak in case it was due to deformation due to heat, years of use etc.
    ceejay
    ceejay
    the 900
    the 900

Post by ceejay Thu 14 Mar 2024, 9:23 am

How did you repair your leaking CB500 Fuel Tap/PetCock? 4d907510

I had a badly leaking fuel tap on the rivet side the other day and needed the bike running that day so as a temporary fix I filed off the rivet heads (which turned out not to be rivets but part of the petcock body itself) to reveal a 25 year old rock hard gasket. I thought about some kind of sealant but was thinking that might not mix to well with fuel so in the end opted for running a couple of layers of ptfe tape along the gasket then drilling out the 2 'rivet' studs (seen in pic above) and reassembling with 4mm nuts/bolts.

There was some build up of crap inside the fuel tap which I cleaned out (perhaps from years ago when I had a disintegrated fuel filter). Hasn't leaked since but will see how that one goes and will probably try get a new one if it fails again.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 26 Apr 2024, 6:45 pm