CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

3 posters

cb500 fuel tank

joe mc donald
    joe mc donald
    Running out of unique names

cb500 fuel tank Empty cb500 fuel tank

Post by joe mc donald Thu 18 Mar 2021, 9:32 am

Got an 03 tank. Question the overflow pipe from the fuel cap does it run inside the tank itself. As when i fill the tank it leaks out the overflow pipe till the tank empties quarter way down. This makes me think there is a break in the overflow somewhere.
                      Joe
    ANDYC
    ANDYC
    the 900
    the 900

Mechanic

cb500 fuel tank Empty Re: cb500 fuel tank

Post by ANDYC Thu 18 Mar 2021, 7:16 pm

Yes it does go inside the tank Joe,  your diagnosis is the only explanation that I can think of. 
    Have to admit that I have never come across this before, but there's a first time for everything I guess 🤔
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Sat 22 May 2021, 2:30 pm

Yeah, that's really odd.  Although I suspect that any bit of it can rust, so, in a way, anything is possible!

While I'm sure it's technically possible to fix that problem, I'm not sure there are a plethora of people with the right skills available at the right price, so you might be better looking for a new tank...

joe mc donald likes this post

joe mc donald
    joe mc donald

Post by joe mc donald Mon 24 May 2021, 10:19 am

Yes Mate. it is a pain but till something better comes along I shall just block the overflow pipe and pray for sunshine. I have for now put a small pipe as far as I can into the orifices and pep sealed the inside so maybe. What I believe is the bike was stored for many years with the overflow blocked and damp. Thanks for the note
                 Joe.
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Mon 24 May 2021, 5:11 pm

That sounds like a fine bit of bodging (something which my bike has a lot of!).  You want to make sure that the rubber pipe that connects to the overflow is well connected, so that if the overflow does start flowing, the petrol makes its way safely directly to the floor.

On lots of these bikes the overflow rubber pipe is either missing, perished or fits really badly onto the spigot.

Anyway, best of luck.

joe mc donald likes this post

joe mc donald
    joe mc donald

Post by joe mc donald Tue 25 May 2021, 2:31 pm

Yes it was a bit flimsy so I have replaced it now. Just hope it seals and does the job. But aa tank will turn up eventually and I will be a happy bunny. As for botches that what keeps us going and I would call it inventive. sounds better.
                   Joe.
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Tue 25 May 2021, 3:54 pm

joe mc donald wrote: As for botches that what keeps us going and I would call it inventive. sounds better.
                   Joe.

Yes, there's lots of CB500 that suffer from invention. You could say that CB500 owners are inventive people :)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 07 May 2024, 11:57 pm