CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

4 posters

Running problem....

Ernie the dwarf
    Ernie the dwarf
    Scratcher!
    Scratcher!

Running problem.... Empty Running problem....

Post by Ernie the dwarf Sat 17 Mar 2012, 2:19 pm

I've just got a 97 CB500V, and it's doing my head in ! now this the 3rd i've owned and i've never had one let me down before.

It start's and runs for about 10 to 15 mins, then the rev drop and it die's, at this point the starter circuit and neutral light go dead, no light and no power to the starter button. Leave it for half an hour and all is well. The vent on the petrol tank appears to be clear, its doing my head in.

I've replaced the 3 pin diode, changed the CDI, the coils are reading within the specs, reg/rec is working.

Any ideas, cheers Ernie.
    kwackboy
    kwackboy
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

Running problem.... Empty Re: Running problem....

Post by kwackboy Sat 17 Mar 2012, 3:21 pm

hello,

Have you tried the battery ..? is it getting enough charge..?

Post by Guest Sat 17 Mar 2012, 3:43 pm

and are the battery terminals nice and clean?
    Ernie the dwarf
    Ernie the dwarf
    Scratcher!
    Scratcher!

Post by Ernie the dwarf Sat 17 Mar 2012, 3:53 pm

Its a good new battery, so that's not a worry and the charging system is working as it should. After sodding about with it some more, i'm starting to think in may be on the cut out circuit, but all the switch's are working...
    kwackboy
    kwackboy
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

Post by kwackboy Sat 17 Mar 2012, 7:13 pm

Ok .. Ive had a similar problem on a customers bike where it was a coil problem.

From what you have said its sounds as tho your coils are cutting out when they get hot and when they cool down they are fine again . I'm not say that this is your problem but it's worth checking out.
    Once the bike cuts out check your spark .
    Ernie the dwarf
    Ernie the dwarf
    Scratcher!
    Scratcher!

Post by Ernie the dwarf Sun 18 Mar 2012, 10:24 am

Cheer's Kwakboy, i'm still not convinced the coils are the problem, but i'll be replacing them anyway, i can't work out why the stater circuit go dead when it stalls, so today if the weather stays nice, i'm going to by-pass the cut out switches and see if it makes any difference Smile.....

Post by Guest Mon 19 Mar 2012, 1:20 pm

Might be worth checking the reg/rec again to be sure having just read this post.
    Ernie the dwarf
    Ernie the dwarf
    Scratcher!
    Scratcher!

Post by Ernie the dwarf Mon 19 Mar 2012, 8:22 pm

Yeah. i read that post, the battery is not being drained, the reg/rec seems to working as it should, whats confusing me is the start circuit going dead, when the engine stops.... all the cut out switch's have been tested and are ok, i'm waiting for some coils to turn up , so i'll see if that helps....bloody electrics ! Smile i'll keeep you posted. Very Happy
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Tue 20 Mar 2012, 11:23 am

If you have access to a good, larger battery (probably a car battery would do) and some longish leads, trying running it with the larger battery in circuit rather than the standard one.

If the problem persists it is definatyl not your standard battery, if it goes away then it *is* the battery....
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Tue 20 Mar 2012, 11:26 am

Also - once the bike has stalled, you should have a check around with the multimeter - check that bits that are supposed to be earthed *are* earthed and that cables that are meant to be 12v *are*.... I wonder if there is a duff cable somwhere that is working when the bike is cold but fails when it gets a little warmer?
    Ernie the dwarf
    Ernie the dwarf
    Scratcher!
    Scratcher!

Post by Ernie the dwarf Tue 20 Mar 2012, 3:37 pm

Cheers eternally, i check when i when the replacement coils turn up Smile
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Tue 20 Mar 2012, 8:12 pm

Ernie the dwarf wrote:Cheers eternally, i check when i when the replacement coils turn up :)

Don't mention it; i'm just guessing at what might be wrong ;)
    Ernie the dwarf
    Ernie the dwarf
    Scratcher!
    Scratcher!

Post by Ernie the dwarf Sat 24 Mar 2012, 3:09 pm

Well the coils turned up this morning, fitted and working which is nice..checked all the main connections and earthing points, bypassed the cut out switchs.....hoorah she live's but only for 10 mins bugger and blast. So i checked the ignition pick up readings a tad low, so i've ordered one up, with luck that will sort it. This bike will be renamed the money pit Smile
    Ernie the dwarf
    Ernie the dwarf
    Scratcher!
    Scratcher!

Post by Ernie the dwarf Thu 29 Mar 2012, 9:55 pm

Ignition pick up fitted, no change but after much digging and poking around the loom, i have the 3 yellow wires from the alternator have been some what overheated and have melted. So a new rec/reg has been ordered..........i hate electric's all the reading are spot on,,,,,they lie oh yes they lie.....

Post by Guest Fri 30 Mar 2012, 12:47 pm

What a nightmare Ernie, I'm glad to hear you're cracking the problem though Smile
    Ernie the dwarf
    Ernie the dwarf
    Scratcher!
    Scratcher!

Post by Ernie the dwarf Sat 31 Mar 2012, 1:18 pm

Woohoo she lives Very Happy , got a new pattern replacement rec/reg from Cardiff Motorcycles Ltd, only £24:95 A bargain considering the price of the used ones on e-bay......now i can sort out all the little things to get it past it's MOT,,,,How hard can it be Smile and cheers for the suggestions Folks.

Post by Guest Sun 01 Apr 2012, 8:13 pm

Well done mate!
    Ernie the dwarf
    Ernie the dwarf
    Scratcher!
    Scratcher!

Post by Ernie the dwarf Fri 13 Apr 2012, 2:40 pm

Well the saga continues, on the plus side she's running well, the front end is off about to put some new seals in the forks and fit some gaiters, on the minus side i need to replace the cooling fan and possibly the rad, not's not leaking or damaged but the lower fan mounts are badly corroded to the point of breaking if i try and remove the bolts, i have a spare fan from one of my FZX's so i think some weapon grade bodgeing will the next step....Hoorah Very Happy

Post by Guest Fri 13 Apr 2012, 4:14 pm

I feel your pain, I got a 2nd hand fan off ebay which wasn't too rusty & a delkovic rad off ebay. Check the earth wire for the rad fan while your at it; this screws to the top mounting point on the fan and is probably floating free!
    Ernie the dwarf
    Ernie the dwarf
    Scratcher!
    Scratcher!

Post by Ernie the dwarf Fri 13 Apr 2012, 5:45 pm

I've removed the fan which, snapped the both the bottom mounts off the rad bottom doh ! the fan surround is as rusty as the Titanic, the fan motor is dead, so i'll be making some new brackets and fitting my spare fan from the Yam, which is about the same size. So a fun weekend ahead Smile

Post by Guest Fri 13 Apr 2012, 7:22 pm

Enjoy, I hope the sun shines for you!
    magicman-alex
    magicman-alex
    Godly
    Godly

Post by magicman-alex Tue 24 Apr 2012, 7:46 pm

Are fans repairable? I spent the weekend helping a friend with his recently purchased 1997 CB500.

Amongst other issues, his fan fuse had blown. We replaced it and the fan made a DREADFUL grinding sound for a few seconds when I shorted it. The circuit is still OK, but the fan isn't turning now. I'll take it off next weekend when I have more time. As with most of them - it's rusty as hell!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 16 Oct 2024, 7:56 pm