CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

3 posters

Newbie looking to get a CB500

baoluofu
    baoluofu
    Squiddy
    Squiddy

Newbie looking to get a CB500 Empty Newbie looking to get a CB500

Post by baoluofu Sat 18 Aug 2012, 3:40 pm

Hi everyone,

I started riding at the end of 2010 on a Honda XR125. I passed my full test at the end of last summer but didn't upgrade to a big bike at the time because of money. I sold my XR125 a few months ago and have been cycling on my daily commute while the weather has been reasonably nice.

However I'm now looking at finally getting a big bike and thinking about a CB500 as I've read good things about it, and it's cheap to buy and run.

The only motorbikes I've ridden are the XR125 and a Yamaha Diversion 600 (around '03 reg I think) for my test training. By the time I sold the XR I had definitely outgrown it and it was starting to feel like it was limiting me. The Yamaha felt good power wise but the riding position was a little hard on my wrists after a couple of hours.

I'm quite tall at 6'3" so a little concerned about any bike I buy being too cramped. I went to a dealer today and sat on a bunch of bikes to start getting a feel for what feels good to me. All of the sport bikes felt too small, but in general most others felt fine. The Kawasaki er-6n felt quite cramped, but the Yamaha XJ6 Diversion, Triumph Street Triple and Honda Hornet didn't feel too cramped at all.

I'd appreciate any taller CB500 riders describing how they get on with riding them. I'd guess the Honda Hornet I sat on is going to be closest to the CB500 fit wise, so if anyone could let me know how different they are that would be appreciated.

I intend to use whatever bike I end up buying for commuting in London mainly, with the occasional longer trip up to Sheffield/Peak District. I'd also like to know how the bike handles pillion riders.

Looking forward to learning more about this bike and becoming part of the community here.

Paul

eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Newbie looking to get a CB500 Empty Re: Newbie looking to get a CB500

Post by eternally_troubled Sat 18 Aug 2012, 6:02 pm

I'm not too tall (only 5' 8"), so I can't help you with that, other than to point out that it is definatly possible to get different size/bend bars to fit the CB500 which may help any wrist-related problems.

Also, the CB500 is pretty typical-for-it's-class in terms of geometry/size so I suspect that these might be issues for any bike this kind of size.

My CB5 is fine for taking a pillion in terms of comfort, however you will notice the performace takes a bit of hit with someone on the back - this is not surprising and something that you will easily adjust to once you've (both!) been out for a few rides.

I can definatly reccomend the CB500 in terms of reliability vs. cost - I have a '97 CB500 that I picked up for roughly 600 quid with 40k miles on the clock a few years ago - I haven't had any bad issues with it, other than the usual things (none of which were very bad or surprising for a 15 y.o. bike).
    chromedome
    chromedome
    the 900
    the 900

Post by chromedome Sat 18 Aug 2012, 8:05 pm

At 6'2" and built like a giraffe I can assure you that the CB5 is very comfortable to ride all day. I have a slight issue with the narrowness of the standard bars, but will fit a set of wider flat bars and it will be perfect.
    The reliability and economy of the model is great, solid build quality, handling's fine and brakes are superb.
    If I could level a criticism of the suspension..... in standard format it tended to "wallow" at the front end (nothing nasty to be honest) but cured this by using more viscous fork oil and it's made all the difference. All a matter of preference though when it comes down to it.
    baoluofu
    baoluofu
    Squiddy
    Squiddy

Post by baoluofu Sun 19 Aug 2012, 11:02 am

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm already sold on the virtues of the bike, just glad to hear that it's suitable for taller riders and can handle a pillion rider.

From what I've read I'd be best buying a '97 or later model so that I get the disk brake at the back. What should I expect to pay for one in good condition? Is there any mileage above which I shouldn't consider buying?

How much should I expect to pay for insurance being 24 years old, had my full license for nearly a year, and 1.5 years no claims? Also I got two Penalty Charge Notices while I had my first bike, one parking ticket and one for riding in a bus lane. Do these need to be disclosed to an insurance company?

Post by Guest Fri 24 Aug 2012, 1:34 pm

I'm 6'2 as well and I've never felt cramped on the bike, it's not too bad with pillion and camping gear either! Get yourself a renntec luggage rack, it replaces the grab rail and they're brilliant. Smile

You're right about the rear disc brake; '97 CB500V or newer, they also uprated the front brake caliper. Don't worry too much about mileage, as long as the bike has been serviced regularly they will go round the clock quite happily. There's a couple of CB's for sale on here that I just noticed Smile

I can't help you on the insurance front I'm afraid; I'm 37 now and it's a very cheap bike to insure. When I first bought it from memory I paid £925 fully comp the first year, I was 22 with 0 no claims.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 11 May 2024, 3:45 pm