CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

2 posters

first ride on the CB5

rattycb
    rattycb
    Squiddy
    Squiddy

first ride on the CB5 Empty first ride on the CB5

Post by rattycb Fri 05 Apr 2013, 9:29 pm

So I managed to get the CB5 through mot. Then after waiting for the snow and bad weather to go, the sun came out so I thought why not, lets get insured!

As the bikes been sitting for some four years I spent the first 20 miles cruising round scrubbing the tyres trying to remove that layer of deteriorated rubber.
    Then I stopped off at the garage to check tyre pressures. The rear tyre felt nice a warm to touch and visually I could see that the shiny harder rubber had gone and was now a nice matt colour.
    So after a bit of a shake down I went home to check the work id done, torque wrench out, went over everything
    again just to be sure nothing had rattled loose, all good.

Back on the road I headed towards a newly laid section of the A46 to see what this little twin can do!
    Now when I open the throttle the power seems smooth until about 6k rpm then it starts to splutter randomly between 6 and 8k but after 8k it really comes alive and pulls well. possibly in need of a carb sync/tune?

So yeah pretty happy with the CB5, should be good fun this summer!
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

first ride on the CB5 Empty Re: first ride on the CB5

Post by eternally_troubled Mon 08 Apr 2013, 12:29 pm

Glad to hear it is all working, it should pull well above 8k, it shouldn't hesitate on the way there.

It *could* be in need of a carb sync (it isn't a bad idea anyway). Did you clean out the carbs when you were getting it back on the road?

It *could* be your coil going 'wrong'.

Have you changed the plugs and checked the HT leads? Might also be a good idea.
    rattycb
    rattycb
    Squiddy
    Squiddy

Post by rattycb Mon 08 Apr 2013, 5:07 pm

Hey Troubled,
    I didn't strip and clean out the carbs as such, i did flood the bowls and drain a few times.
    The hesitation problem is not so bad now for some reason.
    Seems a lot better now its done a few miles.
    Think i might get new plugs and do a oil change again after a few more miles, see if that does anything.

Post by Guest Mon 08 Apr 2013, 5:59 pm

It might just be a case of blowing out the cobwebs.
    Maybe stick some Redex in there for good measure next time you tank up!
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Tue 09 Apr 2013, 4:34 pm

rattycb wrote:Hey Troubled,

The hesitation problem is not so bad now for some reason.
    Seems a lot better now its done a few miles.
    Think i might get new plugs and do a oil change again after a few more miles, see if that does anything.

Probably worth a try.. sometimes these things go away on their own - if it isn't annoying you too much it is probably worth riding it as it is and see what happens.

IMHO you need to ride a bike for miles and miles (hundreds of miles at least) to work out which of the niggling problems is a *real* problem and which ones will fix themselves.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 May 2024, 4:55 pm