CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

5 posters

First Ride

freeride
    freeride
    Laser Shark
    Laser Shark

First Ride Empty First Ride

Post by freeride Tue 25 Jan 2011, 10:34 pm

Hi,
    I've seen lots of news lately on the forum about "first rides" on the new bike.Besides managing to get into second gear on my cb500(bought last month) from the front drive round the back of the house and up the grass the last time I actually rode on the road was in the very late 70's on a GT380 triple.So on Saturday I'm off for an MOT. I can't find my old riding gear so I guess I binned it all years ago.So if you a see a CB500 in North Essex on Saturday with a rider clad in a yellow ocean sailing outfit-that's me. I promise I'll get something more suitable shortly and I'll detach the lifejacket.
    hayden
    hayden
    the 900
    the 900

First Ride Empty Re: First Ride

Post by hayden Tue 25 Jan 2011, 11:20 pm

Very Happy Whatever it takes mate!...good luck to ya..
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Wed 26 Jan 2011, 1:16 pm

Good luck with the MOT - you should take it round the block a few times on the way there to get used it :)

Post by Guest Wed 26 Jan 2011, 2:15 pm

Don't forget, loo roll under the dust seals if the forks are weeping before the mot! Razz
    davetheworv
    davetheworv
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by davetheworv Wed 26 Jan 2011, 8:51 pm

bliomey a gt380, that takes me back to my Bonnie days, had mates with 380s and 550s, ended up with kettles gt750s.
    i will be interested what it feels like for you, i am just a tad nervy these days but love it and my mrs says she has never seen such a grin on my face.
    GINGER
    GINGER
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Post by GINGER Wed 26 Jan 2011, 11:23 pm

good luck ( or break a leg in my line of work theatre ) ........... Hein Gericke got a sale on at the minute for bike clothes or discount according to MCN ...

ta Ginger .................x
    freeride
    freeride
    Laser Shark
    Laser Shark

Post by freeride Sat 29 Jan 2011, 6:00 pm

Well I now have an MOT.
    The journey was about 9 miles so I was a little nervy first off to say the least.All seems to work fine as it is the first time I've riden it since I bought it.
    As for comparing it with a triple 2 stroke GT380.It has more vibration which isn't suprising as there is more metal swinging around and it feels a lot heavier to wheel about(or I'm just getting older).I really miss the digital gear position indicator that I had on the GT380 but I was OK with the gears.I never give it enough welly though as I'm used to a car diesel engine.
    Sure does go though and I can see why you all like them.Must remember to press the indictor switch for off.Roll on Summer.
    davetheworv
    davetheworv
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by davetheworv Sat 29 Jan 2011, 6:11 pm

God that all sounds so familiar. Have to agree, a bloody great bike tho. I was used to vibes with my old bikes before the "four" but had forgotten just how much they do it. Got some bar ends for mine, hope they work.haha

have fun

Post by Guest Sun 30 Jan 2011, 2:35 pm

Well done freeride, let the sunny weather commence! (Come on now sunshine, all is forgiven!)
    Speaking of cancelling indicators, I found this on ebay which seems a good idea; after 12 flashes it starts sounding a beeper with subsequent signals. I've got something similar fitted but it sounds as soon as you flick the indicators on which can be a bit annoying, although useful with the pedestrian lemmings in town.
    davetheworv
    davetheworv
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by davetheworv Sun 30 Jan 2011, 8:21 pm

haha brilliant idea but i am a bit mutton and have to take my aids out while wearing my helmet....pardon
    freeride
    freeride
    Laser Shark
    Laser Shark

Post by freeride Wed 02 Feb 2011, 10:01 pm

Back to the comment from jforth.

Thanks Hein Gericke do have a sale on and also I got another 10% off for being insured with Bennetts.
    freeride
    freeride
    Laser Shark
    Laser Shark

Post by freeride Fri 04 Feb 2011, 9:49 pm

Yes, I agree it does go and I actually got up to 3000 revs and I forgot to mention it is 30 years since I last rode my 380. Quite a challenge!
    A lot different to a diesel auto people carrier but at least you can watch a DVD sitting in the rear. Was going to tax the bike but I think I'll wait till March/April.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 May 2024, 3:15 pm