CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

3 posters

broken right front indicator on CB500S

Toutsuite
    Toutsuite
    Rossi
    Rossi

broken right front indicator on CB500S Empty broken right front indicator on CB500S

Post by Toutsuite Tue 27 Aug 2013, 8:17 pm

Some lethally dozy old fart pulls out of a carpark onto the main road I'm driving on this morning on the way to work and mildly T-bones me. Thanks to my braking (and no thanks to his) all I get is a broken indicator. I've ordered a replacement, but am a bit unsure how to fit?

I'm pretty sure I have to take the fairing off, but apart from the 4 allen screws what else do I have to undo? Thanks in advance.
    Beresford
    Beresford
    the 900
    the 900

broken right front indicator on CB500S Empty Re: broken right front indicator on CB500S

Post by Beresford Tue 27 Aug 2013, 10:47 pm

On the CB500S all you do is undo one screw which holds the indicator on, it can be seen if you look between the fairing and the forks. The wiring is bundled up and secured by a flexible tab which is part of the fairing support frame. There are just two bullet connectors to release, and long nosed pliars are handy for this as you don't want to damage the wire connection into the bullet. Once undone, the indicator is pulled out with a twisting motion to clear the hole in the fairing. Reverse all this to replace.
    Toutsuite
    Toutsuite
    Rossi
    Rossi

broken right front indicator on CB500S Empty Re: broken right front indicator on CB500S

Post by Toutsuite Tue 10 Sep 2013, 7:10 pm

Well I ended up replacing both front indicators. Seems the previous owner had swapped his fronts for his rears for some reason. Sent the one I ordered back and got a pair of small Halfords ones for £15. Identical to my rears ones I had to get when I removed the givi wingrack.
    All worked fine for a couple of days, but now no matter if I turn the right or left indicators on, all four come flashing on. Any ideas why that might be?
    teabag
    teabag
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

Post by teabag Tue 10 Sep 2013, 8:22 pm

sounds like a faulty flasher relay to me ???
    Toutsuite
    Toutsuite
    Rossi
    Rossi

Post by Toutsuite Tue 10 Sep 2013, 9:29 pm

Would the fact that the bulbs on the new indicators are 23W instead of the specified 21W, having anything to do with the relay packing in? (if that is indeed the case)
    teabag
    teabag
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

Post by teabag Wed 11 Sep 2013, 8:10 am

Yes mate ,
    generally the indicator bulbs should not be higher than 21 watts,
    Basically the relay works on the resistance of the bulbs so if i was you i would change all to 21 watts and try that first .

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 10 May 2024, 8:05 am