CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

+5
geewhizz
jsnape
Gonzumzum
teabag
stormbringer
9 posters

Hi from a soon-to-be CB rider.

MadCat
    MadCat

Hi from a soon-to-be CB rider. Empty Hi from a soon-to-be CB rider.

Post by MadCat Tue 10 Sep 2013, 4:00 pm

Hi there,

My name is Martin, from The Netherlands, but with a semi-British background. My dad used to live in north-west London, and I rode on the back of his bikes pretty much all over. It's safe to say, I got the petrol running through my blood from him. Since he passed away two years ago, I wanted to find a way to keep connected to him, and could not think of a better way than getting my motorbike license. So, now that that wonderful moment is fast approaching, I am looking for a cheap-and-cheerful starter bike.

The CB500 caught my eye, since it's a 500-twin, so it sounds nice, has plenty of grunt for a beginner and is a good commuter, which will be it's main job. Also, as I gather, Honda's are pretty much bullet-proof! It's also a nice homage to my dad, since his first bike when he got back to riding was the 500's big brother, the CB1000 Big-One.

When it comes to buying one though, I have one big question: What to look for? Obviously rust is going to be a factor, since it's an older bike and our climate is pretty much the same as it is in Britain. But are there any other specific problems I need to look for when I go shopping for one? Any tips on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

I hope to get my license within a month, two at the most, and purchase my bike somewhere before the 2014 season starts, and when I do, my first big trip will be to the Ace Café, as that is somewhat of a pilgrimage for me.

So, that is my bike-story so far.

Ride safe,

Martin.Cool
    stormbringer
    stormbringer
    the 900
    the 900

Hi from a soon-to-be CB rider. Empty Re: Hi from a soon-to-be CB rider.

Post by stormbringer Wed 11 Sep 2013, 8:04 am

Welcome mate!

Whether one likes parallel-twins is a matter of opinion, but Honda did it just right with this one, though. There's a reason it has been popular as a learners bike. On top of that, you can take it to the track and it won't let you down. Some people just can't live without lots of blinkenlights, gauges and stuff - meaning the CB5 won't be for them. But accept the unless-its-absolutely-necessary-it-wont-be-there approach and you'll see that therein lies a good thing. If it ain't there it can't break!
    So, the CB5 usually 'just works'.

As for what to look for when buying... I'd look for these things:

Function: Motor has to work. No oil spills, no smoke, steady tickover and willingness to rev. Also look for any asymmetry (eg bent handlebars), indicating the bike has been dropped or has crashed at some point in time. Bike must go straight. Do all locks work?

Security: Lights and indicators must work. Brakes must work - with a nice even function. Front forks and rear suspension must be firm and without any slack - including swingarm bearings.

Other stuff: Tires. Chain kit. And yes, if you find any rust. But most bikes are not used during winter, making rust much less of a problem compared to eg cars.

Really, there's not much to maintain. Apart from the obligatory engine oil/filter change, it seems most people must renew fork oil, chain kit, tires and battery when buying a 'new' CB. Some like to throw in a carb clean and rejetting for good measure.

Cheers,
    Martin
    teabag
    teabag
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

Post by teabag Wed 11 Sep 2013, 8:23 am

Welcome Martin,
    great country you live in ,visited many times and never had a bad moment there.
    Yes as Martin says above the CB is a great little bike with reliability that can do anything.
    People generally label it as a great "first bike" but i have been riding a long time with many european trips taken (not on the CB)and can tell you for sure its a great all round bike,
    I'm a ex-pat and live down here in Naples and use my little CB for taking the wife to work every day ,the CB copes very well with the madness of Neopolitan traffic,and if it can cope here it will be just fine for you in Holland.
    Like any piece of machinery it needs servicing and you will find all you need to know on this site from a friendly helpful bunch of guys.
    I am a newbie here myself ,really enjoying my CB and this site.

Good luck with your test,

Tbag
    MadCat
    MadCat

Post by MadCat Thu 12 Sep 2013, 8:22 am

Thanks for the welcome and the tips. I have my theory test in two weeks, then hopefully my first practical exam shortly after. I really hope I can get my license before the weather turns really bad. I don't mind rain, after all, we're not made of sugar, but I don't fancy riding on a thick bed of leaf-mulch. That's where I had my only crash on my moped years ago.

*Here in the Netherlands, the Motorbike exam consists of 3 tests. First you need to pass a theory test, which test your knowledge on the rules and some basic maintenance an technical knowledge. Then there is the Vehicle Control test, which tests your control of the bike. Swerving around obstacles, stop-tests and riding slowly, that sort of stuff. When both are passed, you have the road exam, which is all about how you act on the public roads. You can take lessons before you pass your theory test, but only for the control bit (which is where I'm at now), and only when you already have your car license. Once you pass your Vehicle control test, you learn to ride on public roads. I don't know how it works in the UK, but that's the rundown of how it works over here.

One really annoying fact I learnt today, over here, a bike is not allowed to filter at the lights!  Only in traffic jams on the Motorway! Is it allowed in the UK? Cause my dad certainly did every change he got, and from what I recall, so did pretty much every other rider I saw.

Martin Cool
    stormbringer
    stormbringer
    the 900
    the 900

Post by stormbringer Thu 12 Sep 2013, 1:11 pm

MadCat wrote:One really annoying fact I learnt today, over here, a bike is not allowed to filter at the lights!  Only in traffic jams on the Motorway! Is it allowed in the UK? Cause my dad certainly did every change he got, and from what I recall, so did pretty much every other rider I saw.

Martin Cool
    In Denmark, filtering is disallowed. Period. If you can't pass a car through the 'hole', neither can you.

Nonetheless, people do filter. Most of those people inside cars being overtaken this way seem to not mind, but some object loudly. Perhaps they envy our freedom to actually be able to get ahead?

Oh well...
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Mon 16 Sep 2013, 12:52 pm

Filtering (if done in a safe way) is perfectly legal in the UK.  There wouldn't be much point in trying to ban it - people would do it anyway.  We have so much traffic here that one of the main points of riding a two-wheeled vehicle (pedal cycle, moped or motorbike) is being able to filter past cars.

The motorcycle test here has changed to a 3-part test similar to the one you describe in the Netherlands.  Except we don't have to be able to drive a car first.

Good luck with your test(s)!
    MadCat
    MadCat

Post by MadCat Mon 16 Sep 2013, 8:21 pm

Okay, I see. And to clarify, you can learn to ride without having your car license, but then you need to pass your theory test before you can get on a bike. I have had my car license for nearly 5 years now, so I can get lessons anyway. They want you to know the road rules and regulations before you ride I suppose. Makes sense, as technically I don't have road lessons yet, but I do ride from the office to the parking lot and back through traffic, so without at least a basic knowledge of the laws, it would become pretty hairy pretty quick! Razz

On a side note, I had another lesson today, and I was riding with a slightly more advanced student. He took the lead, and I followed. On the road leading to the lot where we practice (which is in a recreational zone with a lake and such), there is a nice long straight stretch, preceded and followed by a set of nice long s curves. The other student hammered the throttle on the way out of the first s, so I followed. First time I went over 40mph, and we hit the brakes hard at about 65mph. It was good the other guy was in front, because he knew where to brake. I took the second set of curves a lot quicker than I did before and got the bike down really far compared to what I'm used to. The teacher gave me an earful at first, but commended me on my confidence and feel after. It's safe to say, I am now truly addicted! Thought I'd share that Wink
    stormbringer
    stormbringer
    the 900
    the 900

Post by stormbringer Tue 17 Sep 2013, 7:05 am

MadCat wrote:<snip>The other student hammered the throttle on the way out of the first s, so I followed. First time I went over 40mph, and we hit the brakes hard at about 65mph.
    In my opinion, speed is less important than revs. Riding a CB, get it past 6k, then hang on for the surprise at 8k. You won't know how fast you went by the time you close the throttle, but you'll most likely agree with me then - the CB lives to rev!

Being a beginner, do this only on an open, dry road. And beware; you will then be forever smitten Smile
    Gonzumzum
    Gonzumzum
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Gonzumzum Tue 17 Sep 2013, 12:18 pm

Check the welding spots. Try to see if all look original.
    Clutch cable should be easy to pull.
    Go for a test ride, and go trhough all gears. Full throthle on each of them.
    Find a flat road and glide on 6th with the lowest intake of gas. See how smooth it is. It´s not suposed to be bouncing...

With all advices covered on this topic, i think you are covered!
    jsnape
    jsnape
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Post by jsnape Tue 17 Sep 2013, 1:08 pm

MadCat wrote:Okay, I see. And to clarify, you can learn to ride without having your car license, but then you need to pass your theory test before you can get on a bike. I have had my car license for nearly 5 years now, so I can get lessons anyway. They want you to know the road rules and regulations before you ride I suppose. Makes sense, as technically I don't have road lessons yet, but I do ride from the office to the parking lot and back through traffic, so without at least a basic knowledge of the laws, it would become pretty hairy pretty quick! Razz

On a side note, I had another lesson today, and I was riding with a slightly more advanced student. He took the lead, and I followed. On the road leading to the lot where we practice (which is in a recreational zone with a lake and such), there is a nice long straight stretch, preceded and followed by a set of nice long s curves. The other student hammered the throttle on the way out of the first s, so I followed. First time I went over 40mph, and we hit the brakes hard at about 65mph. It was good the other guy was in front, because he knew where to brake. I took the second set of curves a lot quicker than I did before and got the bike down really far compared to what I'm used to. The teacher gave me an earful at first, but commended me on my confidence and feel after. It's safe to say, I am now truly addicted! Thought I'd share that Wink
    In the UK if you have a licence to drive a car and want to do your bike test (or other way round) you have to take your theory again if you haven't taken one in the last 2 years (theory is only valid for 2 years). Completely pointless and driven off wanting you to spend more money!

When I got my 125 at first I thought I would never want to go over 40, by the time I got rid of my 125 I was bored of going at 60 and now I've got my 500 it's a completely different game all together again!

Welcome btw! Keep us updated on how your test(s) go.
    MadCat
    MadCat

Post by MadCat Tue 05 Nov 2013, 12:58 pm

Passed my first practical exam today! The weather was crap, but the tarmac at the exam center was in a lot better condition than what I was used to from where we practiced. Also had to go on the motorway for the first time. Not much fun in this weather, and cold! I need some better gloves. I have my theory next week, as I had to cancel last time, due to a family emergency. If I pass that, I think I should be able to get my licence before december. If not, I might have to wait till after the winter. We´ll see.
    geewhizz
    geewhizz
    the 900
    the 900

Post by geewhizz Tue 05 Nov 2013, 7:51 pm

congratulations madcat Smile 
    ....not long to go...
    HomeBrew
    HomeBrew
    the 900
    the 900

Post by HomeBrew Tue 05 Nov 2013, 8:00 pm

Well done!
    MadCat
    MadCat

Post by MadCat Tue 26 Nov 2013, 8:48 pm

Past my Theory exam today, 2nd try. Only 2 mistakes! Set the date for my Road Exam, 6th of januari, so plenty of time to hone my riding skills before then with a couple of lessons.

Post by Guest Wed 27 Nov 2013, 11:08 am

Well done Martin! You must let us know when you plan on visitting the Ace!
    MadCat
    MadCat

Post by MadCat Thu 28 Nov 2013, 4:03 pm

Well, ´that will hopefully be somewhere in May ´14.
    MadCat
    MadCat

Post by MadCat Mon 06 Jan 2014, 4:10 pm

Passed my final test today! The weather was good, traffic was bad, and my mood is now over the roof! Now to start saving up for a CB. To bad the one I had my eye on got sold last week. Oh well. No rush, since te weather will turn soon anyway.
    sullivj
    the 900
    the 900

Post by sullivj Mon 06 Jan 2014, 4:35 pm

Many congratulations!

I hope you find a nice bike soon.
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Thu 09 Jan 2014, 12:18 pm

Well done! Good luck finding a CB...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 20 May 2024, 3:46 pm