CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

5 posters

Removing CB500 Fuel Tank Stickers...

ReValveiT
    ReValveiT
    Scratcher!
    Scratcher!

Removing CB500 Fuel Tank Stickers... Empty Removing CB500 Fuel Tank Stickers...

Post by ReValveiT Thu 09 Jan 2014, 3:34 pm

Hi all, just found this forum and it looks like a great source of info for a newly acquired CB500 owner!

I have a black '94 with the pink stickers. I removed the ones from the rear seat surround easily with a hair dryer. HOWEVER! The fuel tank stickers are clear coated over as I'm sure most of you are aware.

I found this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdODSP0NJRA

Has anyone tried this removal method on a CB500 with any success? Anyone with an old knackered tank kicking about they'd care to try it on? My fear is the stickers were applied to the black paint and there'll be no clear coat under the stickers which will result in a total respray, which I deffo do NOT want.

Cheers guys, and expect a fair few more q's from me in the future!
    ReValveiT
    ReValveiT
    Scratcher!
    Scratcher!

Removing CB500 Fuel Tank Stickers... Empty Re: Removing CB500 Fuel Tank Stickers...

Post by ReValveiT Thu 09 Jan 2014, 3:48 pm

Removing CB500 Fuel Tank Stickers... Cb500r
     Very Happy
    Beresford
    Beresford
    the 900
    the 900

Removing CB500 Fuel Tank Stickers... Empty Re: Removing CB500 Fuel Tank Stickers...

Post by Beresford Thu 09 Jan 2014, 7:35 pm

ReValveiT wrote:I found this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdODSP0NJRA

Interesting. study 
    sullivj
    the 900
    the 900

Post by sullivj Thu 09 Jan 2014, 7:47 pm

I haven't tried it and I don't think I'd want to either.

Because they're clear costed, it will be very obvious that they've been taken off.
    ReValveiT
    ReValveiT
    Scratcher!
    Scratcher!

Post by ReValveiT Fri 10 Jan 2014, 12:27 pm

sullivj wrote:I haven't tried it and I don't think I'd want to either.

Because they're clear costed, it will be very obvious that they've been taken off.

The guy in the vid says it blends easily with a little rubbing.
    TimReal
    TimReal
    Running out of unique names

Post by TimReal Fri 10 Jan 2014, 1:26 pm

What's wrong with pink?  tongue
    ReValveiT
    ReValveiT
    Scratcher!
    Scratcher!

Post by ReValveiT Fri 10 Jan 2014, 1:34 pm

TimReal wrote:What's wrong with pink?  tongue

It looks a bit garish and would, IMO, look much more modern without it.
    sullivj
    the 900
    the 900

Post by sullivj Fri 10 Jan 2014, 3:05 pm

I don't mind the pink.  Based on what I think it could look like with them off, I'd leave them on.

The Honda glues are AMAZING.  They are SO sticky, that even if you could get the sticker off, getting the residue off could be more trouble than it's worth.

How about getting a bashed tank off Ebay and trying that first?
    TimReal
    TimReal

Post by TimReal Fri 10 Jan 2014, 3:56 pm

ReValveiT wrote:
    It looks a bit garish and would, IMO, look much more modern without it.

I hear what you're saying and was only pulling your leg.

If the sticker removal doesn't work out, maybe a black tank cover?
    Beresford
    Beresford
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Beresford Fri 10 Jan 2014, 6:03 pm

sullivj wrote:The Honda glues are AMAZING.  They are SO sticky, that even if you could get the sticker off, getting the residue off could be more trouble than it's worth.
    Very true. All is not lost, though. My bike had one of those irritating warning notices on top of the tank and it took resolute action with a hot-air gun to get it off. I removed the residue with that 'sticky stuff' remover you can get in supermarkets and hardware shops as the normal solvents like petrol and lighter fluid had no effect.
    ReValveiT
    ReValveiT
    Scratcher!
    Scratcher!

Post by ReValveiT Fri 10 Jan 2014, 7:40 pm

Yes, the warning stickers aren't clear coated though...

As mentioned, I got the pink 'CB500' stickers off my seat surround easily with a hair dryer and a little WD40 to get the left over bits of sticky off.

Anyone got an old tank they'd care to do a little tester on in the name of research?
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Mon 13 Jan 2014, 12:30 pm

It could blend in OK - but I suspect that to get to an 'OK' level of finish it will require a good few
    hours of attack with T-cut or similar mildly abrasive paint-cutting stuff and some elbow grease.

It might be easier (once the stickers have been removed) to spray the effected part of the tank with clear coat (from a can) and then bend in the edges.

Personally, if my bike looked half as good as yours I wouldn't care about the stickers...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 May 2024, 10:15 pm