CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

5 posters

oil in coolant

shropshirewildman
    shropshirewildman
    Crotch Rocketuer
    Crotch Rocketuer

oil in coolant  Empty oil in coolant

Post by shropshirewildman Sun 13 Apr 2014, 6:53 pm

I seem to have lots of oil in coolant but no coolant in the oil ! any ideas anyone.
    Beresford
    Beresford
    the 900
    the 900

oil in coolant  Empty Re: oil in coolant

Post by Beresford Sun 13 Apr 2014, 8:18 pm

I'm interpreting the relevant chapter in Haynes to mean that you need a new water pump and water pump shaft seals.
    shropshirewildman
    shropshirewildman
    Crotch Rocketuer
    Crotch Rocketuer

oil in coolant  Empty water pump

Post by shropshirewildman Sun 13 Apr 2014, 10:21 pm

surely if it was the water pump, then water/oil would be coming out of the drain hole between the seals on the water pump?
    Beresford
    Beresford
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Beresford Sun 13 Apr 2014, 11:11 pm

There are only two places in the engine where water and oil might come into contact - the cylinder head gasket area, and the water pump. Are you losing oil or water ? Is the engine overheating ?
    If everything appears to be functioning satisfactorarily, then I would be suspicious of the oil sealing around the water pump drive shaft, or actual wear of the shaft itself. Take the cover off and waggle the impeller to check for wear.
    ANDYC
    ANDYC
    the 900
    the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC Mon 14 Apr 2014, 10:01 am

I would discount the water pump area in the investigation as;

The oil is not pressure fed to the water pump spindle, and as the pressure of the cooling system is greater than the oil/crankcase pressure in this area the chance of oil working it's way in there is slim.
    The oil pressure is much greater than the coolant pressure in the cylinder head area, that's where I would be looking first.

How much oil is in the coolant?
    shropshirewildman
    shropshirewildman
    Crotch Rocketuer
    Crotch Rocketuer

oil in coolant  Empty oil water mix

Post by shropshirewildman Mon 14 Apr 2014, 9:37 pm

i checked waterpump and all seemed ok ( nothing coming out of the drain hole) so i moved on to the head. the exhaust came off fine two nuts and two studs but thats ok, off came the cover and out came the camshafts great!! started slackening the head bolts and SNAP ow b****r i snapped one of the head bolts off in the case now i'm stuffed!
    ANDYC
    ANDYC
    the 900
    the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC Tue 15 Apr 2014, 8:45 am

Crying or Very sad That's not the result you wanted Crying or Very sad
    All is not lost though.
    You will still be able to get the head off, although you may need to drop/remove the engine to get enough clearance to do it.
    Once the head is off, depending on where the bolt snapped you will be able to take your time and remove it without damaging the cases.
    I would guess that the bolt had rusted up where the head gasket was leaking coolant and oil.
    Good luck with it.
    shropshirewildman
    shropshirewildman
    Crotch Rocketuer
    Crotch Rocketuer

oil in coolant  Empty some success

Post by shropshirewildman Wed 16 Apr 2014, 1:48 pm

well on to the next chapter! i tried to remove the engine but all mounting bolts are seized up solid, so i had the idea of trying to drill out the broken stud in situ. some careful drilling later and the application of a easyout and success out came the broken bit. back to the net now to look for head gaskets not replacement engines, should be back on the road soon Very Happy

Post by Guest Wed 16 Apr 2014, 1:55 pm

Nice one! It does sound like the HG although I've only come across blows between a cylinder and the water jacket -> pressurised coolant. Keep us posted!
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Wed 16 Apr 2014, 4:24 pm

Well done on getting that stud out, they can be a pig.

Now you've got the head off (I assume) can you see where it failed?

You should post a picture, I am sure we would all be interested... Smile
    shropshirewildman
    shropshirewildman
    Crotch Rocketuer
    Crotch Rocketuer

Post by shropshirewildman Tue 29 Apr 2014, 1:30 pm

she runs again !! i'll keep an eye on coollant level. fingers crossed no more trouble. there was no huge obvious marks on the head so we shall see. i fitted a replacement radiator, with a fan this time as it was missing, the fan works but I don't think I ever got it hot enough for it to come on previously. new tyres to be fitted at the weekend and that should be it for a while.
    ps. Anyone going to Thundersprint this year sunday 11th may at Darley moor, I missed last year when it moved from Northwich but should be fun.

Post by Guest Tue 29 Apr 2014, 6:41 pm

Lovely job mate! I assume you replaced the head gasket?
    Adrianomah
    Adrianomah
    Crotch Rocketuer
    Crotch Rocketuer

Post by Adrianomah Tue 29 Apr 2014, 10:49 pm

shropshirewildman wrote:she runs again !! i'll keep an eye on coollant level. fingers crossed no more trouble. there was no huge obvious marks on the head so we shall see. i fitted a replacement radiator, with a fan this time as it was missing, the fan works but I don't think I ever got it hot enough for it to come on previously. new tyres to be fitted at the weekend and that should be it for a while.

Well done,  cheers

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 28 Apr 2024, 11:31 am