CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

+3
sullivj
jerryfudd
skyrider
7 posters

coolant

skyrider
    skyrider
    the 900
    the 900

coolant Empty coolant

Post by skyrider Mon 07 Mar 2016, 8:01 pm

ok when I first got the bike I noticed that the previous owner just put plain water in the radiator so now in the next week or so I want to refill with coolant, so what is the best make to use and how much will I need thanks
    jerryfudd
    jerryfudd
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

coolant Empty Re: coolant

Post by jerryfudd Mon 07 Mar 2016, 8:26 pm

I used putoline and iirc 3 litres will do it with some to spare, if I also remember correctly there is some debate about how much it takes compared to what the book says.

Dan
    sullivj
    the 900
    the 900

Post by sullivj Mon 07 Mar 2016, 8:26 pm

I used this. I can't remember exactly how much - 4 litres rings a vague bell.

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Product.do?method=view&n=1641&g=549500&p=549495&d=124&c=4&l=2&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Base&utm_campaign=Coolant&gclid=CLybgv6zr8sCFYMK0wodRDULqw
    jerryfudd
    jerryfudd
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd Mon 07 Mar 2016, 8:29 pm

.....just checked the manual 2.7litres including the expansion bottle.
    sullivj
    the 900
    the 900

Post by sullivj Mon 07 Mar 2016, 8:32 pm

As Dan says, lots have people have reported not getting the right amount back in.
    skyrider
    skyrider
    the 900
    the 900

Post by skyrider Mon 07 Mar 2016, 8:33 pm

£26 but a lot better than my motor freezing up thanks guys
    skyrider
    skyrider
    the 900
    the 900

Post by skyrider Mon 07 Mar 2016, 8:36 pm

I will probably go for the 4L that will leave  some for topping up now and again
    jerryfudd
    jerryfudd
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd Mon 07 Mar 2016, 8:36 pm

skyrider wrote:£26 but a lot better than my motor freezing up thanks guys

according to the service schedule it'll stay in there 36months / 24,000miles so not allot in the grand scheme of it.

.......or you could be the first CB (that I know of) on waterless coolant! Very Happy
    skyrider
    skyrider
    the 900
    the 900

Post by skyrider Mon 07 Mar 2016, 8:39 pm

which is the best method to fill from empty the filler under the petrol tank or the bottle at the right hand side
    sullivj
    the 900
    the 900

Post by sullivj Mon 07 Mar 2016, 8:42 pm

You have to fill it from the filler under the petrol tank, once you've properly drained it.

Do you have a Haynes book? It's all in there.
    jerryfudd
    jerryfudd
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd Mon 07 Mar 2016, 8:43 pm

the highest point so under the tank, there is a drain by the water pump which'll have a copper washer which should be replaced.

while your at it you can put a hose in the filler to flush out all the crud before refilling.
    skyrider
    skyrider
    the 900
    the 900

Post by skyrider Mon 07 Mar 2016, 8:56 pm

when it comes a bit warmer im going to spray all the bike with paraffin and then go round over it with a paint brush to give it a good clean while the tank and plastics are off, and I do have a Haynes manual I found the drain bolt in there and as jerry said  i was thinking that after I drained the rad and swilled the bike off with water I will put the hose in the top filler for a good clean out its probably never been done
    sullivj
    the 900
    the 900

Post by sullivj Mon 07 Mar 2016, 9:14 pm

When you take the drain bolt off, get ready with a bucket - it shoots out fast and sprayed all over my mate!

I just looked back. I brought 4 litres, but still have one unopened, so like Dan, 3 was enough.

coolant Imagejpg2_zpscfdcaf4f
    skyrider
    skyrider
    the 900
    the 900

Post by skyrider Mon 07 Mar 2016, 9:31 pm

when I drain mine I will do it outside neat a drain so should be ok, right if 3L is plenty that's what I will get Very Happy
    jerryfudd
    jerryfudd
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd Mon 07 Mar 2016, 9:35 pm

skyrider wrote:when I drain mine I will do it outside neat a drain

...not entirely sure you're meant to put it down the drain it can't be completely full of water?

can it? Smile
    skyrider
    skyrider
    the 900
    the 900

Post by skyrider Mon 07 Mar 2016, 9:39 pm

yes you could be right I will put it in a bucket and throw it in the field that is at the back of our house with no animals in it (that's the field not the house Laughing )

but as said before it just seems to be water with no coolant but anyway I will err on the side of caution
    jchesshyre
    jchesshyre
    the 900
    the 900

Post by jchesshyre Tue 08 Mar 2016, 12:03 pm

Only thing about that is that there will be lots of animals in the field, just not grazing animals. Birds, rodents, insects...none of them likes to have ethylene glycol poured over their habitat ; ) 

I read somewhere that it's OK to pour antifreeze down the loo but not down the drain, since that goes to sewage works rather than just into rivers. That's assuming you don't have a septic tank or something.

But if it's really just water in there then just pour it down the drain.
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Tue 08 Mar 2016, 1:25 pm

If you're going to pour coolant away (and you're not supposed to put it down the drain or in the sewer!) somewhere into the environment then dilute it lots (ie. either add a lot of water or wash it away with a lot of water), this will reduce the harm it might be able to do.

I suspect that a lot of it ends up going down the drain or as (quite sensibly) suggested down the toilet (where it will, at least, be further diluted before entering a water course).

If you are in the UK then easiest/cheapest way to get rid of it is to mix it with your old engine oil and take it to your local tip ('household waste disposal site') and pour it in the used engine oil container. This is free and no one will notice...

Probably better would be to use one of the non-ethyene glycol based coolants which last longer (forever, essentially) and cause less environmental problems (can't remember the brand name now...).
    jerryfudd
    jerryfudd
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd Tue 08 Mar 2016, 1:37 pm

saw this site when looking around....

https://www.gov.uk/hazardous-waste-disposal

I guess in reality we all know how we dispose of such things and also a fair idea on how we are meant to, the only underlying point I guess I was making was not to say it on a public forum Smile
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Tue 08 Mar 2016, 1:59 pm

jerryfudd wrote:saw this site when looking around....

https://www.gov.uk/hazardous-waste-disposal

I guess in reality we all know how we dispose of such things and also a fair idea on how we are meant to, the only underlying point I guess I was making was not to say it on a public forum :)

I wasn't saying what *I* do with it :)  If the government really cared about what we did with it then they would provide an easier way to get rid of it!
    jerryfudd
    jerryfudd
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd Tue 08 Mar 2016, 3:18 pm

Had a similar thing with some corrugated asbestos sheets, the advise from the council was that its highly dangerous so I should bag it up and pop it in the back of the car next to where my kids sit and take it to their disposal center...... I'm not putting it anywhere near my kids go let alone in the back of my car so in the end had to pay for a company to come and collect it.

But anyway... back onto the topic of coolant Smile

Post by Guest Tue 08 Mar 2016, 5:51 pm

While you're flushing out the system it would be worth taking off the small pipe at the top of the filler neck and blowing through it.
    This is the overflow to the expansion bottle and if you only had tap water in the system it may be silted up (or god forbid it has had rad weld in it...)
    Take cap off expansion bottle first obviously Wink
    skyrider
    skyrider
    the 900
    the 900

Post by skyrider Tue 08 Mar 2016, 7:40 pm

jchesshyre wrote:Only thing about that is that there will be lots of animals in the field, just not grazing animals. Birds, rodents, insects...none of them likes to have ethylene glycol poured over their habitat ; ) 

I read somewhere that it's OK to pour antifreeze down the loo but not down the drain, since that goes to sewage works rather than just into rivers. That's assuming you don't have a septic tank or something.

But if it's really just water in there then just pour it down the drain.

im dead certain its just tap water in the rad but I don't fancy drinking it to find out Laughing
    ANDYC
    ANDYC
    the 900
    the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC Wed 09 Mar 2016, 1:54 pm

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/coolant-additives/demon-tweeks-4-life-advanced-engine-coolant

I have used this stuff for years now and it has never let me down.
    Even after a stone managed to hole the radiator, it kept the engine cool for a further 80 miles.
    Whether or not it was because I was on the motorway or not I don't know. I can't help thinking that had it been just water I would have been surrounded by a cloud of steam waiting for the AA man.
    skyrider
    skyrider
    the 900
    the 900

Post by skyrider Wed 09 Mar 2016, 8:19 pm

thanks ANDY thats another one worth thinking about

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 12 May 2024, 8:24 pm