CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

2 posters

Coolant, or not

muttley1
    the 900
    the 900

Coolant, or not Empty Coolant, or not

Post by muttley1 Fri 14 Apr 2023, 2:53 pm

So, I've just drained off my coolant, changed the leaking o ring for the water pump (fiddly!) and topped it all back up. All good, but
    over the winter is seems I've been running the bike with about half its recommended coolant or less, with no adverse effects. The temperature gauge has remained pretty dormant and I don't do any filtering or queueing on my routes.

Anyone else tried no-coolant running? Iirc suzukis gs500 is an air cooled twin, same era and similar power.

muttley1
    burudi
    burudi
    Laser Shark
    Laser Shark

Coolant, or not Empty Re: Coolant, or not

Post by burudi Fri 14 Apr 2023, 5:59 pm

rethink that reasoning. This motorcycle, if there is no coolant, leaves cylinders and cylinder head isolated from the outside by an area with only air in which there should be coolant that 'transports' the temperature to the radiator where it is evacuated to the outside air.
    Without refrigerant you will get the flu. Nothing to do with an air-cooled motorcycle like the Suzuki GS500.
    muttley1
    the 900
    the 900

Post by muttley1 Sat 15 Apr 2023, 3:46 pm

Agreed, its not an air cooled bike! Half the recommended coolant and sub 5 degree temperatures, no filtering/slow riding and the cb has proved ok. Now all fixed, fresh coolant, new pump gasket.
    burudi
    burudi
    Laser Shark
    Laser Shark

Post by burudi Sun 16 Apr 2023, 12:31 pm

Since it is very possible that inside there have been localized areas of very hot, not detected by the water temperature sensor......you are 100% sure of not having caused any scratches on pistons, camshaft bearings and crankshaft etc?
    muttley1
    the 900
    the 900

Post by muttley1 Sun 16 Apr 2023, 4:07 pm

Of course I can't be 100% sure but not going to take the bike apart just in case. It had about 1200ml of coolant at the least and of course had more in it before the leak. The bike has run over winter, not been hot from filtering or fast riding so I'm going with it being ok.

muttley1
    burudi
    burudi
    Laser Shark
    Laser Shark

Post by burudi Sun 16 Apr 2023, 6:51 pm

good reasons to be optimistic. ok

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 12 May 2024, 12:09 pm