CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

4 posters

Speedo Bulb change

cbeebies
    cbeebies
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Speedo Bulb change Empty Speedo Bulb change

Post by cbeebies Tue 14 Oct 2014, 8:44 pm

Well I picked up my first ever CB today and took her for a good shake down to try and learn if she has any niggles...the only one is that the Speedo clock is not illuminating, the rev counter is fine.  Is there a bulb in there, and if so, how do I change it?

Thanks
    Llewelyn1965
    Llewelyn1965
    the 900
    the 900

Speedo Bulb change Empty Re: Speedo Bulb change

Post by Llewelyn1965 Tue 14 Oct 2014, 9:32 pm

I'm guessing undo clock housing, locate bulb and replace. Never had to do it yet, but doesn't look too difficult. Have a look at the manual in the workshop area. I'm sure you will get lots of replies from the very experienced guys on here who have done it numerous times though. Smile
    ashcroc
    ashcroc
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc Tue 14 Oct 2014, 10:13 pm

There are several small bulbs inside the housing.  It can also be a sign the common earth on the loom near the headstock needs attention but that's usually combined with the other lights & temp gauge failing.
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Wed 15 Oct 2014, 1:15 pm

It's probably the bulb (assuming the other ones are working). Relatively easy to fix. Mine had very similar issues.
    cbeebies
    cbeebies
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Post by cbeebies Wed 15 Oct 2014, 2:20 pm

OK thanks, but how do I remove the clocks to change the bulb?  Is it the two torx screws underneath behind the headlight??
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Thu 16 Oct 2014, 12:32 pm

I would (assuming you have a CB500 not a CB500S):

* take the headlight off/move it to one side

* undo the speedo cable

* undo the three screws in the rear cover and remove it

* you should now be able to see the back of the clocks plastic assembly, the bulbs are in rubber
    holders that poke through - if you pull each one out in turn you should be able to see which are working and which are not (assuming you have the lights switched on!)

Have you got a Haynes manual? There are some pictures of what is involved in the 'electrical' section. There is a link to a pdf of the Haynes manual that is 'sticky' in the workshop section of the forum.
    cbeebies
    cbeebies
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Post by cbeebies Thu 16 Oct 2014, 4:42 pm

Thanks E_T. I took the option of removing the clocks altogether. So just opened the headlight and unplugged the loom. Im going to replace all the bulbs that light the clocks (not doimg the warning lamps). I struggled at first to find the right wattage bulbs but ive treate her to genuine from the dealers, only £3 for 3.

Edit: the little sticker under my seat says its a CB500R but the V5 and HPI just say CB500. Its a 1995 on an N plate.
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Fri 17 Oct 2014, 12:53 pm

cbeebies wrote:the little sticker under my seat says its a CB500R but the V5 and HPI just say CB500. Its a 1995 on an N plate.

That R is not as in CBR600RR, but CB500 - R, where 'R' is a code to do with years and model revisions.

Look here:

Speedo Bulb change Model_numbers

As you can see 'R' means 1993-1995 (approx) - the first version of the CB500.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 27 Apr 2024, 11:05 pm