CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

3 posters

Leaking Water Pump.

Engi57
    Engi57
    Squiddy
    Squiddy

Leaking Water Pump. Empty Leaking Water Pump.

Post by Engi57 Fri 01 Jul 2016, 3:49 pm

I've noticed a few small drops of water when I stop my bike over the past couple of weeks, nothing out of hand. I took it out for a spin yesterday and there was a constant drip below the bike, it happens more when stopped at lights (I'm guessing the pressure in the system is lower at idle so the water 'lingers' at the point of the leak). I filled it up with water and it took 1.5 litres affraid  The fluid seems to be leaking from one of the square holes on the bottom of the water pump. I've had a look on the forum and one user had to replace the whole pump assembly (~£140). I was wondering if there's any possibility that the leak could be caused by the failure of the water pump gasket as opposed to the mechanical seal? 

Financially a new water pump assembly isn't too appealing so I thought I'd ask here before committing. Another member on the previous post mentioned using silicate free coolant on their NTV650 to prevent degradation of the seals, does this also apply to the CB? If I have to replace the water pump I want it to last as long as possible!

Thanks in advance for your time.
    jerryfudd
    jerryfudd
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Leaking Water Pump. Empty Re: Leaking Water Pump.

Post by jerryfudd Fri 01 Jul 2016, 4:04 pm

I'd say there is only one way to tell and thats to go get a gasket and get it swapped, its not that tricky to get out (on the assumption the frame doesn't get in the way as I removed mine when the engine was out). While its out give it a good clean on the mating surfaces and let us know..... pics are always good too Very Happy

Dan
    Engi57
    Engi57
    Squiddy
    Squiddy

Post by Engi57 Fri 01 Jul 2016, 7:31 pm

Thanks for the quick reply jerryfudd, I'll try a new gasket and see what happens. 

This is where it was leaking from:

Leaking Water Pump. GIsdEXd          Leaking Water Pump. 9VIXtdz

Having warmed it up and ridden for 15 minutes to try to induce a leak, there was only a tiny bit of coolant at the base of the pump, which makes me think being 1.5 litres short of the recommended coolant level could've made it worse. As for the gasket (no.5 in the parts diagram found at cmsnl.com - I'd include a link but I'm a new forum member), would a normal O-ring do the job? If there's a seat for the gasket on the water pump housing it'd be easy to fit an O-ring and I wouldn't have to wait for it to be delivered. 

Thanks,
    jerryfudd
    jerryfudd
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd Fri 01 Jul 2016, 8:27 pm

check here for parts -> https://www.lingshondaparts.com

I'd defiantly get a proper Honda one from a dealer.

I checked the service manual page and seems pretty straight forward to do.

btw assembly bolts are 12nm and the mounting bolts are 9nm and make sure you get a new pump to engine washer and drain bolt washer along with that housing gasket.

Dan
    magicman-alex
    magicman-alex
    Godly
    Godly

Post by magicman-alex Wed 06 Jul 2016, 7:47 pm

Is that a 1998 SW? I had a faulty water pump on the same model. Intermittent fault which took
    me about two years of trial and error to fix. Yeah, £140 from Lings for a brand new one. Tried buying a couple off eBay to start with but they were both corroded to hell inside. Bit the bullet and bought brand new in the end. Did not regret it!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 27 Apr 2024, 9:23 pm