CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

4 posters

Water pump now!!

skyerae
    skyerae
    the 900
    the 900

Water pump now!! Empty Water pump now!!

Post by skyerae Tue 18 Apr 2017, 6:15 am

Put a new oil filter (hammer screwdriver through filter to get it to move!) on and new oil but noticed when I warmed it up to get the oil to drain easily that there was what seemed like a slow drip from that I thought was the bottom bolt on the water pump. Tighten it up (it was tight but a just a little more and it is now weeping Crying or Very sad . I assume this means that the main o-ring gasket between the pump halves is leaking? I have ordered that as well as the inner pump body o-ring so hopefully that will come in soon. Will carry coolant around with me to top up the expansion bottle as I only have the CB for transport at the moment until the wife's car is fixed by the garage - which might be later on this week.
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Water pump now!! Empty Re: Water pump now!!

Post by Jameshambleton Tue 18 Apr 2017, 7:35 am

I've got a spare waterpump kicking about somewhere should you need one.
    skyerae
    skyerae
    the 900
    the 900

Post by skyerae Tue 18 Apr 2017, 5:18 pm

Thanks for the offer, will try the replace gasket option first and thereafter if it fails may take you up on the offer.
    Melitos
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

Post by Melitos Thu 20 Apr 2017, 7:10 pm

Hi

Are you sure it's not the water drain plug that is leaking?

BR,
    Antti
    skyerae
    skyerae
    the 900
    the 900

Post by skyerae Thu 20 Apr 2017, 8:08 pm

I have replaced the coolant recently and replaced the drain plug gasket at the same time. Have watched the coolant dripping and it seems as if it is from the bottom of the pump, like where the two sections are bolted together. None from the drain plug - that would have been an easy fix  Smile Got the o-ring gasket from Fowlers, now waiting for the inner pump body o-ring which is on back order. Car now fixed so the bike is on hold until the other part appears.
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Tue 25 Apr 2017, 10:54 pm

That does sound like the water pump inside seal... hope the fix goes well!
    skyerae
    skyerae
    the 900
    the 900

Post by skyerae Wed 26 Apr 2017, 5:58 am

It was the o-ring between the pump sections, I stripped it apart and spent ages cleaning the mating faces and the o-ring recess. Fitted the new o-rings and was a bit worried to find the recess for the o-ring is way bigger than the o-ring itself. Started to think of sealant but thought lets bolt it together and see. Put it back on and then promptly forgot to connect the carburettor heater hose so when filling up with the coolant it began to piss all over the driveway. A few swear words later I realised that the coolant I had wasn't enough so had to nick the coolant I carry as a back-up in the wife's banger. Filled up, ran her up and topped her up and no leak. Due to the snow, sleet and hail we have had I haven't used her but will do so later this week and keep an eye on the pump.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 28 Apr 2024, 6:14 pm