CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

5 posters

Fuel tap overhaul + new fuel lines

ZekeVal
    ZekeVal
    Running out of unique names

Fuel tap overhaul + new fuel lines Empty Fuel tap overhaul + new fuel lines

Post by ZekeVal Tue 23 May 2017, 5:06 am

Hi there,

I've noticed that my fuel tap doesn't close properly: in the OFF position, engine on, trying to empty those carbs bowls before storage, the engine wouldn't stop... so I suppose fuel is still going through without too much resistance.

So I plan to get the tap repair kit as well as change the fuel line since I'm at it in the (not so) close future.

My question is what diameter and length (approx.) should I order for the hoses, and should I change the breather hoses as well?

Val.
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Fuel tap overhaul + new fuel lines Empty Re: Fuel tap overhaul + new fuel lines

Post by Jameshambleton Tue 23 May 2017, 8:01 am

Fuel hose: Inside 8 mm Outside 13 mm length 255 mm
    Vacuum hose: Inside 3.5 mm Outside 8mm length 210mm - slightly longer maybe preferable 

http://www.cb500club.net/t4699-spec-stats#42587
    sullivj
    the 900
    the 900

Post by sullivj Tue 23 May 2017, 9:36 am

It takes a while for the engine to stop. How long did you run it for?
    Drago76
    Drago76
    Crotch Rocketuer
    Crotch Rocketuer

Post by Drago76 Tue 23 May 2017, 10:07 am

sullivj wrote:It takes a while for the engine to stop. How long did you run it for?

not a very while. cruising at 40 mph from closed fuel flow to engine start sputtering takes about 1 mile on mine.....Razz
    ZekeVal
    ZekeVal

Post by ZekeVal Tue 23 May 2017, 11:11 am

Thanks for the info.

I ran the engine for more than 15min, revving the engine from time to time. I had a previous experience a few month ago where I started and drove less than a kilometer before choking because I had forgotten to open the tap. So I really think it's leaking; it's getting harder to close and open as well.
    Drago76
    Drago76
    Crotch Rocketuer
    Crotch Rocketuer

Post by Drago76 Tue 23 May 2017, 11:14 am

ZekeVal wrote:Thanks for the info.

I ran the engine for more than 15min, revving the engine from time to time. I had a previous experience a few month ago where I started and drove less than a kilometer before choking because I had forgotten to open the tap. So I really think it's leaking; it's getting harder to close and open as well.

actually, invented a fuel filter with transparent body, and even a transparent fueol line from tank to filter is very handy thing, so you can see at a moment - do you have fuel in lines, and see a flow, or absence of flow Wink
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Wed 24 May 2017, 11:21 pm

ZekeVal wrote:Thanks for the info.

No, 15 mins is too long, even if only idling - sounds like it is leaking. You'll have to post your success (or otherwise!) with the repair kit here...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 May 2024, 8:47 pm