CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

2 posters

Maybe newbie

Sir clip
    Sir clip

Maybe newbie Empty Maybe newbie

Post by Sir clip Mon 22 Jan 2024, 8:01 am

Decided it's time to see what all the fuss is about for myself so I'm off to have a look at nice looking rec 98my
    Cb500s later on, I noticed in the pics it has a drum brake at the back, not particularly bothered but the internet says it should be
    Disc ? Also has pc26 engine number should I be worried?.
    Low mileage 4 previous owners however the seller only bought it last month scratch. Aside from usual checks anything else worth looking for?

Thx
    stormbringer
    stormbringer
    the 900
    the 900

Maybe newbie Empty Re: Maybe newbie

Post by stormbringer Mon 22 Jan 2024, 10:54 am

Nice. AFAIK the early version (R reg) came with drum rear. Some say it is good in the rain.
    Also, early models are made in Japan. Mine - an Y reg - is from Italy. Some say the Japan-made ones are better quality.

With low mileage you should be reasonably well positioned. But given it's an older bike, maybe look for rust and corrosion.
    Especially the lower front engine mounting bolt (30 cm long M8) that sits in the splash tends to bond to the engine mounting lugs quite well, making the engine a near-permanent part of the frame.
    Also, I'd look for cabling bodges. These are a nesting place for foul gremlins....

Sir clip wrote:Decided it's time to see what all the fuss is about for myself so I'm off to have a look at nice looking rec 98my
    Cb500s later on, I noticed in the pics it has a drum brake at the back, not particularly bothered but the internet says it should be
    Disc ? Also has pc26 engine number should I be worried?.
    Low mileage 4 previous owners however the seller only bought it last month scratch. Aside from usual checks anything else worth looking for?

Thx

Sir clip likes this post