CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

+66
Minty
skyrider
Flyingbrick
Jameshambleton
shropshirewildman
Llewelyn1965
Stooby2
Rick448
dado_dassler
Alvi
Ayrton F
peatrich
jerryfudd
stevew
Wildwards
Tricky.
GlenAnderson
cbeebies
jchesshyre
ashcroc
Dext37
ceejay
chromedome
Celt500
glen.wilson1@gmx.com
eternally_troubled
trevor machine
muttley1
stormbringer
Beresford
jonny10
arrison
Wonkey
badseeds
sullivj
UKTyler
arbgarry
The_Wasp
trickie
shakyman
Vexx
norfolkngood
Adrianomah
trochers
mcalvert39
kev44
jimbobs63
ANDYC
geekytree
Basil Moss
rwhitton
wishnik
Crash- Elmit
cb1300rider
al-91
seakins
Mac 1
TimReal
steeeve66
cc1085
Gonzumzum
geewhizz
greyhoundbloke
si.p
JoshSingleton
HomeBrew
70 posters

What did you do with your CB500 today?

badseeds
    badseeds
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 20 Empty Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by badseeds Mon 18 Aug 2014, 11:35 pm

muttley1 wrote:Spent 150 miles on the M40, bike running well,
    Drank tea, ate cake and talked bikes with a decent bunch of guys. A row of Honda's finest looked oddly familiar,
    Tried to win award for loudest bike in car park,
    Looked out rear light unit in bag of spares back home,
    Looked at cleaning kit too, drank more tea,
    Thought about cafe racer look for cb5, found this to plan around...http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CB-500-TT-GENUINE-AND-VERY-ORIGINAL-BIKE-BEAUTIFUL-CONDITION-/231289438414?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item35d9ecc0ce

m1
    And it was jolly nice to meet you, too! As I'm sure you're aware, that bike's a GB500TT, the half-faired 400cc JDM version is cock-stirringly pretty. Although they did make a half-faired 500, too.
    What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 20 Gb400tt_mk2 
    Fuck knows why Honda saw fit to give us the underwhelming XBR500 instead  Sleep
    badseeds
    badseeds
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 20 Empty Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by badseeds Mon 18 Aug 2014, 11:45 pm

I got bollocked for parking here:
    What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 20 WP_20140817_007_zpsb5cb46b0
    So's I could take pictures of this:
    What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 20 WP_20140817_005_zpsa01a2abb
    My Grandad didn't die in two world wars so's I couldn't park wherever I wanted! I just said, in plain English, "sorry mate, I don't speak English". Twunt.
    What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 20 WP_20140817_011_zps22afb83e
    'Lowering the tone', you say? This is one of the most famous CB500s on the web! Don't you know who it is!??
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Tue 19 Aug 2014, 1:05 pm

badseeds wrote:...
    'Lowering the tone', you say? This is one of the most famous CB500s on the web! Don't you know who it is!??

I'm guessing that you didn't go in... or did you?
    badseeds
    badseeds
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by badseeds Tue 19 Aug 2014, 7:53 pm

I was in need of a shit, but thought I'd best go for a Mcshit instead.
    badseeds
    badseeds
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by badseeds Tue 19 Aug 2014, 7:58 pm

Having seen Sully's home-made Fenda Extenda idea at the Ace Caff soiree, I thought I'd make my own from an Alaskan number plate sent to me by a customer (I didn't ask him to and it's been kicking around for a couple of years).
    What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 20 WP_20140819_005_zps5c3c0577

Yeah, I'm thinking Dragon's Den, too.
    sullivj
    the 900
    the 900

Post by sullivj Tue 19 Aug 2014, 8:15 pm

I may be wrong, but I have a slight feeling that it's not quite straight....!
    badseeds
    badseeds
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by badseeds Tue 19 Aug 2014, 8:24 pm

sullivj wrote:I may be wrong, but I have a slight feeling that it's not quite straight....!

Get your glasses checked, John. I used a vernier caliper when fitting that mud-flap. They're dyslexic calipers, mind.
    mcalvert39
    mcalvert39
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

Post by mcalvert39 Sun 24 Aug 2014, 10:48 pm

Had a cracking rid out today with a friend of mine. He owns a RR600 and he was surprised at just how quick the CB can be.
    Did slow town stuff through Salford then blasted up around Bolton and Chorley. Really needed the ride out after the week ive had at work.
    Even managed to find out that im getting around 60mpg and that's not been taking it easy. Smile
    sullivj
    the 900
    the 900

Post by sullivj Mon 25 Aug 2014, 10:51 pm

Today, I did this:

http://www.cb500club.net/t2946-operation-tango
    glen.wilson1@gmx.com
    glen.wilson1@gmx.com
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by glen.wilson1@gmx.com Sat 30 Aug 2014, 1:41 pm

fitted some orange braided brake pipes to the bike today. nice easy job but the new bolts didnt fit which was a shame. bit of an odd size the bleed nipple on the calipers im finding its an 11. will see if it effects anything but i did it just for cosmetics really and the fact the bikes never had a new set after 17 years lol.
    Beresford
    Beresford
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Beresford Sat 30 Aug 2014, 5:53 pm

The Wemoto kit came to me with two of the 4 bolts incorrect also.
    glen.wilson1@gmx.com
    glen.wilson1@gmx.com
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by glen.wilson1@gmx.com Sat 30 Aug 2014, 8:23 pm

Weird. I had to use all my old bolts. Will message them. The lines work well though.
    Dext37
    Dext37
    Hyper Viper
    Hyper Viper

Post by Dext37 Sat 30 Aug 2014, 9:21 pm

Picked up my CB from Dave Wilkins, he has put a different engine in there and £250 later it has cured my heating issue!
    glen.wilson1@gmx.com
    glen.wilson1@gmx.com
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by glen.wilson1@gmx.com Sat 30 Aug 2014, 10:02 pm

Was that to fit the engine? Sounds not too bad!
    Dext37
    Dext37
    Hyper Viper
    Hyper Viper

Post by Dext37 Sat 30 Aug 2014, 11:28 pm

Yep, total price. Just need to get the chain tightened, doesn't feel as smooth.
    Celt500
    Celt500
    Mothra the Radioactive
    Mothra the Radioactive

Post by Celt500 Mon 01 Sep 2014, 10:39 pm

Took the CB out for the first time in weeks. I've been slowly sorting a few things on it and had to wait for a few parts etc. Didn't really have a lot of confidence in the handling as it was, especially as I'm only learning I wanted it sorted before I went out again.

5 or 10 minutes out I had a bit of a 'Wahoo!!' blast along the straight Twisted Evil, the enthusiasm carried into a set of twisties. 

There I totally stuffed up the last one, drifted a bit wide and ended up coming round a blind bend totally on the wrong side of the road... Umm...  affraid
    Could have had a head-on 10 minutes from home! No Obviously nothing was there but I was seen, some poor woman in a hatchback coming the other way gave me a horrified look.

Didn't do it again but then I completely failed at doing a u-turn and went home feeling a bit like maybe this biking lark isn't for me.

I suppose I must have come off the throttle when I started going wide and made it worse? It was an uphill left-hander.
    jonny10
    jonny10
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by jonny10 Mon 01 Sep 2014, 11:29 pm

You got outa jail there.
    You'll be fine provided you understand why it happened and put the lesson to good use next time.
    If you felt you had to come off the throttle in the corner instead of gradual throttle on, then either your positioning, entry speed or gear (or maybe all 3) must have been all wrong. It'll come with practice.
    chromedome
    chromedome
    the 900
    the 900

Post by chromedome Tue 02 Sep 2014, 12:00 am

Balanced the carbs. Amazing how rough it can run when you get used to it drifting out over a period of time.  Shocked

Anyway, she's purring like a kitten now.
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Tue 02 Sep 2014, 2:00 pm

Celt500 wrote:Took the CB out for the first time in weeks....

There I totally stuffed up the last one, drifted a bit wide and ended up coming round a blind bend totally on the wrong side of the road... Umm...  affraid

Didn't do it again but then I completely failed at doing a u-turn and went home feeling a bit like maybe this biking lark isn't for me.

That's not good, but not really surprising: I have done similar things in the past, hopefully I have learnt enough to stop me from doing them again.

The 'proper' answer at this point would be to say 'go and get some advanced training' and this probably would be the right answer: IAM, RoSPA or your local bike training place can teach you how to go round corners fast for varying levels of payment/commitment. I have found the small amount of such training I have been exposed to useful, although I did this more recently (not when I had just passed my test).

The 'other' answer is this: go and have another go, a good bit slower and make sure you can get round the corner (or corners) as you would like, in control of the bike. Apart from a very few specific things, the only way you learn these skills is by doing them, so practice makes perfect. If you don't know what 'counter-steering' is then you should probably go and look it up...

Don't get disheartened and put off biking - you obviously enjoy it or else you wouldn't have been going for the ride in the first place, you just need to take this as a warning that you need to keep learning and improving the skills you have all the time.

Dext37
    Dext37
    Hyper Viper
    Hyper Viper

Post by Dext37 Tue 02 Sep 2014, 2:16 pm

New Hagon shocks and new Dunlops going on. Hel brake lines on order.
    seakins
    seakins
    Squiddy
    Squiddy

Post by seakins Wed 03 Sep 2014, 1:39 pm

Felt a ping in the clutch cable this morning and shortly followed by another and then a twang as the last strand snapped... Luckily I had bought a spare and had it under my seat from the clutch awareness week post a month ago.
    First clutch cable changed on the side of the road = success!!

All thanks to this forum.
    ceejay
    ceejay
    the 900
    the 900

Post by ceejay Wed 03 Sep 2014, 2:28 pm

Well done, the satisfaction of knowing you had spare with you must have almost outweighed the inconvenience of it snapping! Removing the cam chain tensioner yesterday I kept getting sharp pain in my hand and arm, soon realised it was the frayed clutch cable digging into me where it leaves and rubs it's housing at the engine end... so that's getting replaced pronto!
    trevor machine
    trevor machine
    the 900
    the 900

Post by trevor machine Wed 03 Sep 2014, 4:20 pm

This is why we try to always celebrate National Clutch Cable Awareness Week here at the cb500 club.

Or Nuckuckow as it's come to be known.
    stevew
    stevew
    Four's a...something...
    Four's a...something...

Post by stevew Wed 03 Sep 2014, 7:00 pm

My mechanic mate who knows CB500 pretty well reckons that if you remove the frame cable guide and put both adjuster nuts in front of the crankcase mounted anchor the cables last much longer.  Suppose it makes sense 'cos everything is free to move and align it's self so there should be a lot less friction and rubbing.
    I'm trying it anyway Wink
    Celt500
    Celt500
    Mothra the Radioactive
    Mothra the Radioactive

Post by Celt500 Wed 03 Sep 2014, 7:26 pm

Mine is also now sporting a shiny new genuine Honda clutch cable. Yay for Nuckuckow / National (actually shouldn't that be International?) Clutch Cable Awareness Week!
    Very smooth.

Adjusting the new one according to Mr. Haynes made me realise how overly tight the old one was. Can't help with the fraying that.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 13 May 2024, 3:37 am