CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

+57
davecb5002
shropshirewildman
Yozzer
John_B
alanp
r1ncew1nd
UKTyler
skyerae
NotASecretaccount
tt fan
jonnyteabag
Itsuki
Mr bounce
Fair Weather Rider
ANDYC
jerryfudd
sullivj
Jameshambleton
l.t.racing
rob75
spanner monkey
jonny10
Vardypeeps
Crash- Elmit
Taurus
Baddi
ZekeVal
Brillpaul
ows
Munky205
hh_12345
Grarea
Alvi
ceejay
badseeds
trophydave
muttley1
topher
Llewelyn1965
Tricky.
jim157
Beresford
geewhizz
skyrider
pendleton_j
trevor machine
Stooby2
arrison
Jack359
ashcroc
stormbringer
liverpool_f_
eternally_troubled
TheWizardofOdds
Anigai
al-91
wornsprokets
61 posters

What did you do with your CB500 today?

wornsprokets
    wornsprokets
    the 900
    the 900

What did you do with your CB500 today? Empty What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by wornsprokets Sat 18 Jun 2016, 11:05 pm

Probably couldnt take anymore of  the peg scraping Laughing
    sullivj
    the 900
    the 900

What did you do with your CB500 today? Empty Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by sullivj Sun 19 Jun 2016, 7:51 am

Ouch. What happened James?
    al-91
    al-91
    Scratcher!
    Scratcher!

Awesome!

What did you do with your CB500 today? Empty Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by al-91 Sun 19 Jun 2016, 12:50 pm

@Wizzardofodds  
    It came with it when i got the bike.  it says "Street Style by Pyramid"  So as a guess pyramid plastics?
    I don't actually use the lower fairing anymore, i took it off to do some servicing and never bothered to put it back on, it makes no noticeable difference to the ride. The upper bit of the fairing is amazing and I rarely ride without it. 

People near Cambridge "hi" (I'm 10 miles south of Cambridge)
    Anigai
    Anigai
    Four's a...something...
    Four's a...something...

Post by Anigai Sun 19 Jun 2016, 5:20 pm

About to bring my CB for it's real maiden voyage. Yesterday only drove about a mile or so as a shakedown.

Just gotta stick it's plastics back on and it's crackcase drain hose then I'm good to go.
    TheWizardofOdds
    TheWizardofOdds
    the 900
    the 900

Post by TheWizardofOdds Sun 19 Jun 2016, 7:07 pm

al-91 wrote:@Wizzardofodds  
    It came with it when i got the bike.  it says "Street Style by Pyramid"  So as a guess pyramid plastics?
    I don't actually use the lower fairing anymore, i took it off to do some servicing and never bothered to put it back on, it makes no noticeable difference to the ride. The upper bit of the fairing is amazing and I rarely ride without it. 

OK,  thanks for that. Let me know if you sell it, I've got a red S too.
    TheWizardofOdds
    TheWizardofOdds
    the 900
    the 900

Post by TheWizardofOdds Sun 19 Jun 2016, 7:08 pm

Obviously.  Rolling Eyes
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Tue 21 Jun 2016, 7:53 am

al-91 wrote:

You must live near me :)
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Tue 21 Jun 2016, 10:00 pm

I urm... over took a tank... on a motorway.... with L plates fitted to it. People with L plates aren't allowed on motorways. Never the less I gave them a wave and I got one back.

What did you do with your CB500 today? 13458509_604389716401978_422451901939092244_o
    liverpool_f_
    liverpool_f_
    the 900
    the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ Tue 21 Jun 2016, 10:12 pm

I used to pass tanks with L plates quite often on the A3. I always found it rather hilarious
    al-91
    al-91
    Scratcher!
    Scratcher!

Awesome!

Post by al-91 Tue 21 Jun 2016, 10:50 pm

So... today i went to pickup a CB250 superdream... (I wasn't expecting a lot) 
    I made it 10 miles before it lost all engine power and upon pulling over i was met with smoke and LOTS of oil on everything!
    Looks like a head gasket failure to my untrained eye

Looks like i'll be sticking with the CB500 for the foreseeable future! 
    Nothing like the tech of the 1970's to make you appreciate things made in the 1990's!!!

@TheWizzardofOdds
    I'm pretty sure the lower fairing was made to fit the upper so i'm not sure it'd attach to or look right with a 500s fairing.
    TheWizardofOdds
    TheWizardofOdds
    the 900
    the 900

Post by TheWizardofOdds Wed 22 Jun 2016, 9:12 am

al-91 wrote:So... today i went to pickup a CB250 superdream... (I wasn't expecting a lot) 
    I made it 10 miles before it lost all engine power and upon pulling over i was met with smoke and LOTS of oil on everything!
    Looks like a head gasket failure to my untrained eye

Looks like i'll be sticking with the CB500 for the foreseeable future! 
    Nothing like the tech of the 1970's to make you appreciate things made in the 1990's!!!

@TheWizzardofOdds
    I'm pretty sure the lower fairing was made to fit the upper so i'm not sure it'd attach to or look right with a 500s fairing.

Ah, I didn't look closely enough. I didn't realise it was one complete fairing from pyramid plastics. I thought it was made to attach to the original. 

Thanks anyway al-91.
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Thu 23 Jun 2016, 8:55 am

Yesterday I started some overdue maintenance:

* Removed the font sprocket (worn, of course) and also split the chain

* Popped the rear wheel out, removed the sprocket (less knackered) and looked at the bearings

Today I'm going to replace the rear wheel bearings (one is knackered) - oddly enough the sprocket carrier bearing is fine, despite me buying a spare just in case (that can live in the drawer until it is required!)

If the weather clears up I might put the new chain and sprockets on....
    stormbringer
    stormbringer
    the 900
    the 900

Post by stormbringer Wed 29 Jun 2016, 7:59 pm

Exchanged my knackered ignition lock to a newish one - so now I need 2 keys.
    Sigh.

The selling price for a new set (ignition, tank, seat) is no less than 380£, so you may see why I decided to not go that way.
    wornsprokets
    wornsprokets
    the 900
    the 900

Post by wornsprokets Wed 29 Jun 2016, 8:07 pm

Stormbringer have look at ur original  ignition key and new key if there simular use a small file on one of new keys(u should have 3)  it took 2mins and my fireblade key starts cb
    stormbringer
    stormbringer
    the 900
    the 900

Post by stormbringer Thu 30 Jun 2016, 5:53 pm

wornsprokets wrote:Stormbringer have look at ur original  ignition key and new key if there simular use a small file on one of new keys(u should have 3)  it took 2mins and my fireblade key starts cb
    No similarity...
    Besides, the ignition lock came with only one key. Not about to ruin that one.

In stead, I have another plan; make the tank & seat locks fit the new key.
    If they are dis-assemblable, my local locksmith should be able to recode them, meaning I can ditch the original key.

Remember, I have no urgent need and a budget of up to 300£. Or - I could throw the 300£ at petrol and have a nice vacation on my CB.

Hmmm... 300£ gets me approximately 300 liters of petrol, which would take me 6000 km (@20 km/l).
    From Århus, Denmark, that would mean Gibraltar, Athens or Istanbul - and back.
    Easy choice. Especially with the holidays approaching.
    ashcroc
    ashcroc
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc Thu 30 Jun 2016, 7:43 pm

Why not get the new ignition lock adjusted to fit the original key? It should cost half as much as doing the other 2 & @Jerryfudd proved it's possible.
    jerryfudd
    jerryfudd
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd Fri 01 Jul 2016, 10:06 am

ashcroc wrote:Why not get the new ignition lock adjusted to fit the original key?  It should cost half as much as doing the other 2 & @Jerryfudd proved it's possible.

yup, auto locksmith did it with a Wemoto ignition - didn't make a terribly neat job of removing the shroud but worked...... just so happens I then managed to get a full new old stock Honda lockset for £70 which was too good to pass up and sold the old lot off.

Dan
    Jack359
    Jack359
    Crotch Rocketuer
    Crotch Rocketuer

Post by Jack359 Fri 01 Jul 2016, 4:37 pm

Changed the  3 bulbs of  speedo and tacho on my 95 CB500 - 2 of them were burned. Checked the other bulbs too - all the bulbs were the original  Shocked And most of them going strong. In Haynes manual it is vagually specified what bulbs there are.

The tacho and speedometer use 3 Stanley 12V1.7W.HD
    and the warning lights - Toshiba A143W

I changed just the speedometer and tachometer bulbs and because it is almost impossible to find 1.7W and I dont like the light dispersion of LEDs.
    I got 12V2W OSRAM - don't think the 0.3W more per bulb or 0.9W more in total it will do harm.

Here is the result:What did you do with your CB500 today? 20160710

With my "new" speedo and tacho, I wanted to take her for a ride to fill them up but started raining.. So I started to lubricate her Very Happy
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Sat 02 Jul 2016, 1:40 pm

Jack359 wrote:
    I changed just the speedometer and tachometer bulbs and because it is almost impossible to find 1.7W and I dont like the light dispersion of LEDs.
    I got 12V2W OSRAM - don't think the 0.3W more per bulb or 0.9W more in total it will do harm.

It won't do any harm - I think it *is* impossible to get 1.7W bulbs easily - when I replaced my blown bulbs I used 2W and it hasn't done any harm.
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Sun 03 Jul 2016, 9:39 am

I did the same as @Jack359 coincidentally on the same day too! Apart from I replaced the tail light bulb as well. I got mine from Wemoto. 

The ones that are listed under our bike (at least my 97 v) only lists the 1.7w bulbs that are used for the indicators, side stand, oil light ect, the tail light one is listed correctly though which is good to know. 
    The bulbs that are needed to light up the clock dials are not listed on the bike page but I found them on a different part of the website. 

These are the bulbs that are needed for the dials http://www.wemoto.com/parts/picture/hl-770504_10/
    Jack359
    Jack359
    Crotch Rocketuer
    Crotch Rocketuer

Post by Jack359 Sun 03 Jul 2016, 3:11 pm

Hmm, on mine I had 1.7W on the dials (1 for the speedo and 2 for the tacho) and 3W smaller in size for the indicators. 

Mine is 95.

Last edited by Jack359 on Mon 04 Jul 2016, 7:13 am; edited 1 time in total
    arrison
    arrison
    Four's a...something...
    Four's a...something...

Post by arrison Sun 03 Jul 2016, 7:11 pm

Rebuilt the front master cylinder, refilled and bled the front brake, pulled the fairing off and drilled out the bottom of the headlight to try and stop it filling with water (fingers crossed thatll sort it). chain and sprokets and oil to change next, then a new front tyre and new shocks.
    Stooby2
    Stooby2
    Godzilla
    Godzilla

Post by Stooby2 Sun 03 Jul 2016, 7:44 pm

Not my CB500 but a friend's I'm servicing. Oil & filter change, air filter change. Took the rectifier off and cleaned the rust off the back (not much) and around the bolt holes, dab of copper grease and put it back, with a new earth lead to the negative battery terminal. Fitted the replacement seat latch as the oil one was broken. Fit new battery. New spark plugs, lubricated the throttle & choke mechanisms. Lubed the clutch, choke and throttle cables. Finally took the old chain and sprockets off ready for the new one when it gets delivered this week.
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Mon 04 Jul 2016, 9:40 am

Stooby2 wrote:Not my CB500 but a friend's I'm servicing. Oil & filter change, air filter change. Took the rectifier off and cleaned the rust off the back (not much) and around the bolt holes, dab of copper grease and put it back, with a new earth lead to the negative battery terminal. Fitted the replacement seat latch as the oil one was broken. Fit new battery. New spark plugs, lubricated the throttle & choke mechanisms. Lubed the clutch, choke and throttle cables. Finally took the old chain and sprockets off ready for the new one when it gets delivered this week.

Lucky friend! I hope you are getting a beer (or similar) out of this? :)
    Stooby2
    Stooby2
    Godzilla
    Godzilla

Post by Stooby2 Mon 04 Jul 2016, 3:10 pm

Well I'm not doing it for free, that's for sure! I just don't charge as much as a dealer.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 27 Apr 2024, 5:04 pm