CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

4 posters

coolant

ar1
    ar1
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

coolant Empty coolant

Post by ar1 Sun 05 Apr 2015, 21:28

Hi Guys, i was wondering does the coolant need changing as the manual says my bike has the pink coolant and i do not think it been changed as it has done only 8000 miles from new and was new in  1994, and is hard to change as i have heard that you can get air locks is this true?, thanks regards J
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

coolant Empty Re: coolant

Post by eternally_troubled Tue 07 Apr 2015, 15:39

If your bike really has the same coolant as when it was new then it would be a good idea to change it and flush the system.

It is possible to get this wrong, but it really isn't that easy. Have a read in the Haynes manual to see what is involved, if there is anything you are unsure of then ask on here and we'll try and help.

BTW I'm not sure that pink coolant existed in 1994 (anyone remember what colour the original coolant was?).
    wornsprokets
    wornsprokets
    the 900
    the 900

Post by wornsprokets Tue 07 Apr 2015, 18:50

My radiator started leaking.it was green doubt it was original, and changed coolant blue colour  top brand wasn't cheap
    ar1
    ar1
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Post by ar1 Wed 08 Apr 2015, 09:00

Thanks guys, yes the coolant is pink, it was possibly changed by the last owner the bike was well looked after and I have the service records but they have no indication of what was done, why do the not say what work has been done?, regards J.

Post by Guest Wed 08 Apr 2015, 09:42

Probably means they changed the oil and lubed the chain Razz
    To be honest the servicing is not bad at all on these, you can happily do it yourself (and ask any questions here!)
    The Haynes manual will show what should be done at each interval but it's good practice to give everything a once over as a matter of course. A problem caught early can save you a big headache in the future!
    Ayrton F
    Ayrton F
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

Post by Ayrton F Wed 08 Apr 2015, 11:54

I can't emphasise Teamsters last sentence enough! I recently had to fork out €250 for a new back end (CB250 nighthawk) because I had let my chain go way tooo long without a change! Maintenance may cost but it's nothing compared to the costs if you don't do it!
    ar1
    ar1
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

coolant Empty coolant colour

Post by ar1 Wed 08 Apr 2015, 20:49

Sorry guys the coolant in my cb is green not PINK, THATS THE STUFF IN MY CAR, i wonder what colour of coolant was used in 1994, any way you where right pink coolant was not used then regards J

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 13 May 2024, 13:16