CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

3 posters

Older rider looking for lightweight bike

brianerobins
    brianerobins

Older rider looking for lightweight bike Empty Older rider looking for lightweight bike

Post by brianerobins Thu 15 Jun 2023, 10:42 pm

Hi. 71 years young and have a garage full of old British bikes that get used regularly, total of 8000 miles each year. Looking to buy a lightweight (less than 190kgs)  for evening and day runs. Options seem to be Honda CB500/500S, Honda VT500E or Kawasaki GPZ500S, not wanting to spend more than about £1500.00 like the look of the CB500S and I believe Honda are the best build quality Japanese bike but there are a couple of Kawasaki GPZ500s on ebay which are tempting.
    What makes the CB500 so good?
    Al1040
    Al1040
    Running out of unique names
    Running out of unique names

Older rider looking for lightweight bike Empty Re: Older rider looking for lightweight bike

Post by Al1040 Sun 18 Jun 2023, 7:31 pm

They are virtually indestructible ans will do everything asked of them and with being light and 57 bhp are a hoot to ride. Various videos on line e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSzpx5fiJLU
    I inherited mine from my father which had sat in his garage for 13 years and whilst cosmetically challenged is now back on the road and used as my Blood Bike.
    stormbringer
    stormbringer
    the 900
    the 900

Older rider looking for lightweight bike Empty Re: Older rider looking for lightweight bike

Post by stormbringer Mon 22 Jan 2024, 12:14 pm

Light enough to handle easily, enough oomph to put a big fat grin on your face when riding the twisties and surprisingly well made. Ticks all the right boxes; 4-valve DOHC watercooled engine tech - same as in eg the Blackbird. Very little electronics - near-idiotproof. What you get usually works, likely because of the product philosophy of quality over quantity.

I personally like the unassuming appearance; no bling. You can go anywhere unnoticed while having a laugh going there. Unless you get noticed by the coppers, that is...

Because the bike unwillingly encourages you to have a bit more fun. I think it's the way the engine revs; agricultural down low, so to get above that you feed it a little beans and the engine comes a bit more alive. More beans, more life. And so you end up eventually revving the nuts off of it as there's so much fun to be had up there.

Or. You an sit on the bike all day, droning along european motorways at 115 km/h. Testament to this is that I've done +1800 km in one sitting. The bike is quite unimpressed.

Or. You could take the wife and a pile of luggage on vacation to southern France. Works a treat.

In short; your britbikes may well end up being used less if you get this understated gem. 'nuff said.

panagiotis likes this post

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 09 May 2024, 10:07 pm