CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

+66
Minty
skyrider
Flyingbrick
Jameshambleton
shropshirewildman
Llewelyn1965
Stooby2
Rick448
dado_dassler
Alvi
Ayrton F
peatrich
jerryfudd
stevew
Wildwards
Tricky.
GlenAnderson
cbeebies
jchesshyre
ashcroc
Dext37
ceejay
chromedome
Celt500
glen.wilson1@gmx.com
eternally_troubled
trevor machine
muttley1
stormbringer
Beresford
jonny10
arrison
Wonkey
badseeds
sullivj
UKTyler
arbgarry
The_Wasp
trickie
shakyman
Vexx
norfolkngood
Adrianomah
trochers
mcalvert39
kev44
jimbobs63
ANDYC
geekytree
Basil Moss
rwhitton
wishnik
Crash- Elmit
cb1300rider
al-91
seakins
Mac 1
TimReal
steeeve66
cc1085
Gonzumzum
geewhizz
greyhoundbloke
si.p
JoshSingleton
HomeBrew
70 posters

What did you do with your CB500 today?

badseeds
    badseeds
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 2 Empty Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by badseeds Sun 02 Feb 2014, 5:45 pm

That fairing looks cool. Let us how if it helps or hinders.
    Gonzumzum
    Gonzumzum
    the 900
    the 900

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 2 Empty Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by Gonzumzum Wed 05 Feb 2014, 8:10 pm

Last weekend i replaced the air filter.
    I was getting an impression that my bike was becoming more and more thirsty.
    Not a big change, and it could be due to some other factors, but for me, it was the filter.

Well, as soon as i rode it, it felt that my bike was with some kind of cold before, and not breathing properly.
    This is the beauty of mechanics. Simple changes, logical steps, and very noticeable. 
    Still haven´t had the chance to measure, but even though nothing might change, im very positive it was a good thing to change the filter!
    cc1085
    cc1085
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Post by cc1085 Wed 05 Feb 2014, 9:02 pm

Today I mostly eliminated unecessary wiring from the harness. Indicators,clutch and sidestand switches,all the wiring for the dash and handlebar switches. This on my CB5 that was in boxes so I can chop off as much as possible as it will eventually be used for sunny Sunday mornings and maybe the odd track day. I need suggestions for a colour scheme. I was thinking of a red frame,fork legs and yokes, and have the tank, sidepanels and rad shrouds in silver. I am making a single seat and short rear guard etc. Standard headlight and clocks were missing so front end will be minimal with small headlight somewhere and speedo on the lower forkleg. I have some way to go yet as I have yet to try the engine.
    stormbringer
    stormbringer
    the 900
    the 900

Post by stormbringer Sat 08 Feb 2014, 7:22 pm

Today I took off the front wheel and removed the mudguard. Cleaned the mudguard, installed a Fenda Extenda and fixed it as instructed by drilling four tiny holes and insert small plastic rivety-things.
    Then I realised that water from inside would slip between the guard and fenda, so I decided to fill the gap with clear silicone.

Finished off by lightly sanding the inside of guard and applying a clear coat of lacquer to improve water/crud runoff.

The assembly is drying now. It looks as if it's new.
    badseeds
    badseeds
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by badseeds Sat 08 Feb 2014, 7:35 pm

I'm attempting to change the main and side stands on my bike as one's bent and the other loose. I've been defeated by the 8mm bolt that holds the side stand switch; bloody thing sheared off. Now I'm trying to remove the main stand from my spare bike and isn't playing nice.... Which doesn't bode well for removing the bent stand that's been on for 18 years and 98,000 miles.

*update* good main stand is out, but I can't be arsed right now to fight the bent one out.

Last edited by badseeds on Sat 08 Feb 2014, 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
    sullivj
    the 900
    the 900

Post by sullivj Sat 08 Feb 2014, 7:53 pm

Interesting to read what you've been up chaps.

Got any pics?
    trevor machine
    trevor machine
    the 900
    the 900

Post by trevor machine Sat 08 Feb 2014, 9:02 pm

Got up and was pleased to see some strong sunlight - but the road was still very wet. However a strong wind augured well, and I surmised there'd be some decent dry lines by eleven-ish. So the question was how to kill and hour or so. As I'd been out on the bike in the evening yesterday - taking advantage of dry conditions - I did my usual post-ride drill: cleaned and lubricated chain, and then the rest of the bike (clean rags and diesel). Then I remembered I hadn't had the chain guard and sprocket cover off for a couple of months. Both were fine, but I got busy with the diesel and an old bottle brush, and went to work on the nooks and crannies behind the sprocket. Also, the slider - around, beneath and beyond. I was surprised by just how much gritty grinding powder type crud I managed to prize out of that part of the bike. This time I used a very, very small bottle brush.

By the time I'd finished that the roads were pretty damn dry, so after getting a few squirts of EP90 on the chain it was off up to Seaways. Good run but bloody gusting me knackers off. Then back and a quick wave of the oily rag just to make sure there was no salt lurking.
    stormbringer
    stormbringer
    the 900
    the 900

Post by stormbringer Sat 08 Feb 2014, 11:09 pm

sullivj wrote:Got any pics?

I'll give it a go; as an experiment, below is a link directly to a piccie on my Google+ account. Don't know if it will work.

Hmmm... Any of you who can see it?

G+ link

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 2 Yourphotos?pid=5978112102529579042&oid=116424803385365776001

Last edited by stormbringer on Sun 09 Feb 2014, 8:43 am; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Added second attempt at showing G+ piccie)
    sullivj
    the 900
    the 900

Post by sullivj Sun 09 Feb 2014, 6:23 am

Sadly, I can't see it.

Photobucket is an easy place to link from.  Just upload your pic there and then copy the IMG code into your message here.
    stormbringer
    stormbringer
    the 900
    the 900

Post by stormbringer Sun 09 Feb 2014, 8:34 am

sullivj wrote:Sadly, I can't see it.

Photobucket is an easy place to link from.  Just upload your pic there and then copy the IMG code into your message here.

OK. 't was just an experiment. Thing is, my smartphone automatically uploads to G+ when I take a photo. Being able to directly link to individal photos would save me the trouble of downloading pics, re-uploading them to eg imgsrv and finally inserting the imgsrv-link here.

Bummer.
    sullivj
    the 900
    the 900

Post by sullivj Sun 09 Feb 2014, 9:06 am

Bummer indeed. I have the same problem, so only move to photobucket the ones I want to show on the forum.

Yes, it's a faff, but I think the photos make the threads more interesting.
    steeeve66
    steeeve66
    the 800
    the 800

Post by steeeve66 Mon 10 Feb 2014, 1:13 pm

rode through large, windy puddle called 'South East England' in to work.
    My CB is taking an awful lot of abuse this winter..

Post by Guest Mon 10 Feb 2014, 2:00 pm

steeeve66 wrote:rode through large, windy puddle called 'South East England' in to work.
    My CB is taking an awful lot of abuse this winter..

Same here, must get the seat recovered or gaffered because I keep getting a wet backside!
    stormbringer
    stormbringer
    the 900
    the 900

Post by stormbringer Mon 10 Feb 2014, 2:49 pm

I promised a piccie, but so far hasn't delivered.

So, here's something to look at:
    What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 2 Cb500_10

So, while all you people are out, scooting about in that large windy puddle, my CB sits comfortably in the shed with no front wheel, waiting to get above shown improved front fender installed.

Post by Guest Tue 11 Feb 2014, 11:33 am

Looking good stormbringer!
    Gonzumzum
    Gonzumzum
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Gonzumzum Tue 11 Feb 2014, 12:11 pm

That looks stock!
    TimReal
    TimReal
    Running out of unique names
    Running out of unique names

Post by TimReal Sun 16 Feb 2014, 7:55 pm

Best days weather this year so both CB5s got a run out. Then changed oil and oil filter plus air filter on bike 1. Also updated my long list of things to do on both bikes. Nice to see some dry roads.
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Mon 17 Feb 2014, 12:42 pm

Yes, Sunday was nice - didn't get out on the bike though (doh!)
    Basil Moss
    Basil Moss
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Basil Moss Mon 17 Feb 2014, 9:23 pm

Had an exam this morning. When we'd finished I rode out to Matlock Bath with one of my course mates riding pillion and another chum on his CG125. Had fish and chips, then took a scenic route back, which got more and more scenic, and progressively more... Progressive...  Twisted Evil Anyway, a good time was had by all. Nice way to pass the time between exams, I can't stand last minute revision. Two more to go, one tomorrow, and one the day after. I feel another couple of burnups coming on...
    jonny10
    jonny10
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by jonny10 Mon 17 Feb 2014, 11:22 pm

Cleaned, adjusted and lubed the chain & washed the rest of the salt off after yesterdy's spin. Also adjusted the rear brake light switch cos the light was a bit slow to come on.

Basil Moss wrote:Had an exam this morning. When we'd finished I rode out to Matlock Bath....

Supposed to be headin over there for spin in a few months, got relatives somewhere nearby. Peak District, I think?? Hear its got a big bike scene at w/ends & some good roads.
    Good luck with the exams btw.
    Basil Moss
    Basil Moss
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Basil Moss Tue 18 Feb 2014, 2:13 pm

Thanks, exams are going OK so far. Yeah you'll love Matlock, it's teeming with bikes of a sunny weekend, good fish and chips, and of course fantastic roads around there.
    badseeds
    badseeds
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by badseeds Wed 19 Feb 2014, 11:03 am

I have a week off, it's a beautiful day and I rode my CB500 the 23 miles to Team Badseeds HQ to pick up my other ride. Spot the oil-cooler hose leak. There's plenty wrong with this poor bike so it'll be sitting out this summer. The clutch, shock, forks, head-races, brakes and electrics all need attention. Still rides okay, if you're aware and can have the mad skillz to ride round its faults.

I got tucked-up when I bought it, but I had a pocket full of cash and a hard-on for a yellow VFR; they're a bit thin on the ground so shot my bolt on the first one I saw.

Whatever you do, do not buy a bike from Church Stretton Motorcycles!

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 2 Cb08f534-2fb6-4377-a483-d2239e2069ab_zps0e5aff27
    Gonzumzum
    Gonzumzum
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Gonzumzum Wed 19 Feb 2014, 11:28 am

I so would like to have a VFR, but the model even older than that!
    What a beauty and good sounding bike!

http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~john/vfr/specs/pics/91-vfr750.jpg

And as our cb500, i think it´s a bike with full Honda stamp on it!
    badseeds
    badseeds
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by badseeds Wed 19 Feb 2014, 12:04 pm

Yeah, the VFR F-L to P is a great bike. They come from the time of Honda's so called 'golden age of fine build quality'. I wanted the 800 because of its long-stroke, gruntier engine. It's also the last 'proper' VFR with gear driven cams. All the faults with mine are age-related and it's such a good bike it's worth spending some money on. Like my CB500, definitely not for sale.
    sullivj
    the 900
    the 900

Post by sullivj Thu 20 Feb 2014, 2:20 pm

First, I fitted my brand new grab rail. The tiny scratches on the old one, were playing havoc with my OCD...!

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 2 Image_zpsa88c260a

Then, I removed the Kappa screen, because I want to see what the bike's like 'naked'

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 2 Image_zpsec0bfed6

Next I fitted my new headlight rim and then, I spotted the rusting screw in the speedo, so had to remove that, rub it down and spray it...

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 2 Image_zps04dd645d

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 2 Image_zps3b3cc854

And of course I had to do loads of polishing whilst I was at it...!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 13 May 2024, 9:59 am