CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

+66
Minty
skyrider
Flyingbrick
Jameshambleton
shropshirewildman
Llewelyn1965
Stooby2
Rick448
dado_dassler
Alvi
Ayrton F
peatrich
jerryfudd
stevew
Wildwards
Tricky.
GlenAnderson
cbeebies
jchesshyre
ashcroc
Dext37
ceejay
chromedome
Celt500
glen.wilson1@gmx.com
eternally_troubled
trevor machine
muttley1
stormbringer
Beresford
jonny10
arrison
Wonkey
badseeds
sullivj
UKTyler
arbgarry
The_Wasp
trickie
shakyman
Vexx
norfolkngood
Adrianomah
trochers
mcalvert39
kev44
jimbobs63
ANDYC
geekytree
Basil Moss
rwhitton
wishnik
Crash- Elmit
cb1300rider
al-91
seakins
Mac 1
TimReal
steeeve66
cc1085
Gonzumzum
geewhizz
greyhoundbloke
si.p
JoshSingleton
HomeBrew
70 posters

What did you do with your CB500 today?

badseeds
    badseeds
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 3 Empty Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by badseeds Thu 20 Feb 2014, 6:20 pm

Sullivj, your bike is beautiful.
    Gonzumzum
    Gonzumzum
    the 900
    the 900

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 3 Empty Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by Gonzumzum Thu 20 Feb 2014, 6:41 pm

I´ts a CB500, 2014 model! Smile
    stormbringer
    stormbringer
    the 900
    the 900

Post by stormbringer Fri 21 Feb 2014, 7:27 am

Talk about OCD there Smile

I consider myself a nitpick, but I've yet to paint a screw...

I try to go an alternative way; exchange rusty stuff with A2 stainless, eliminating the problem at its root.
    sullivj
    the 900
    the 900

Post by sullivj Fri 21 Feb 2014, 8:10 am

Thanks chaps. I know I need professional help  Laughing 

I would normally exchange for stainless, but I didn't have a matching screw with the same thread pitch.

I'm nearly at the point where I'm happy with the condition now. I just need to spray the down pipes of the exhaust. I'm tempted to take them off, but have heard some horror stories about seized and snapped studs.
    badseeds
    badseeds
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by badseeds Fri 21 Feb 2014, 9:24 am

I had to replace the original header-pipes on my bike last year when it'd covered 93,000 miles. This bike has been neglected throughout its life and corrosion is evident everywhere, however none of the fasteners gave any issue whatsoever and this is what I did.....

Liberal use of Plusgas before and after every ride for a week and undid the manifold-studs when the engine was hot. I dunno if it was that alone that helped, but it did, so I recommend it. I was concerned about it, like yourself, but honestly, Plusgas is beautiful stuff!
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Fri 21 Feb 2014, 12:14 pm

badseeds wrote:
    Liberal use of Plusgas before and after every ride for a week and undid the manifold-studs when the engine was hot. I dunno if it was that alone that helped, but it did, so I recommend it. I was concerned about it, like yourself, but honestly, Plusgas is beautiful stuff!

Yes, the heat helps - it helps the plusgas work its way in *and* it helps with releasing the studs.

I didn't do this and snapped mine. Luckily It wasn't too difficult and I could use a stud extractor to get it out (eventually).
    sullivj
    the 900
    the 900

Post by sullivj Fri 21 Feb 2014, 12:36 pm

Thanks chaps. I'll get some plus gas.

badseeds
    badseeds
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by badseeds Fri 21 Feb 2014, 7:57 pm

What I did today.
    What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 3 WP_20140221_006_zps5b4275cd
    What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 3 WP_20140221_002_zpsf99b5882
    What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 3 158aec3e-45de-4ace-9067-cf78af3f8e9c_zpsf0e4c619

Post by Guest Fri 21 Feb 2014, 8:11 pm

Love your tank badseeds, very cool  Cool 
    Today I fixed the front OS indicator; I've got arrow indicators on the front and the bulb holder was a tad corroded (couldn't get the duffer out!) so I replaced it with a spare.
    To-do over weekend: Hi-Lo switch is intermittent so I'll break the switch gear down and give it a clean & re-grease!
    badseeds
    badseeds
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by badseeds Fri 21 Feb 2014, 8:37 pm

teamster1975 wrote:Love your tank badseeds, very cool  Cool 

Cheers mate! I have a mountain of spares, if your switchgear has died you can have one of mine for the price of postage.
    TimReal
    TimReal
    Running out of unique names
    Running out of unique names

Post by TimReal Fri 21 Feb 2014, 9:53 pm

badseeds, you know sullivj won't be able to sleep tonight after seeing your pics! LOL!
    badseeds
    badseeds
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by badseeds Fri 21 Feb 2014, 11:55 pm

TimReal wrote:badseeds, you know sullivj won't be able to sleep tonight after seeing your pics! LOL!

Ha ha! Yeah, I reckon he's probably quietly sobbing, rocking back and forth crying 'why!?'.
    sullivj
    the 900
    the 900

Post by sullivj Sat 22 Feb 2014, 12:29 am

BLOODY HELL FIRE!!!

It's taken me this long to calm down, take some Prozac and muster up the courage to post a reply... I still don't think I'll sleep tonight... I keep going out to 'tango', my over-polished steed, and tellirng him "you really don't know how lucky you are".....!

I started by thinking that someone had stolen your bike and abused it by joyriding...! Then, slowly the realisation dawned on me that it was in fact, actually YOUR bike..!

Has that exhaust ever been polished? There are some fundamental manufacturers recommended parts missing.... Is it even road legal?!

Please come down to Gatwick, and let me polish the salvageable bits for you... I'm told that it will be good therapy for me....!
    jonny10
    jonny10
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by jonny10 Sat 22 Feb 2014, 12:55 am

sullivj wrote: ....I just need to spray the down pipes of the exhaust. I'm tempted to take them off, but have heard some horror stories about seized and snapped studs.

Why not just brush paint them in place? lot less hassle. Ok, takes a bit of time but, the heat resistant paint is thin (needs about 4/5 coats) and doesn't leave brushstrokes. Use a short handle brush to get in round the back of them. Finish is fine..... but then I'm not OCD!
    badseeds
    badseeds
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by badseeds Sat 22 Feb 2014, 12:58 am

Oh wow! That properly made me laugh!

I know nothing of this particular bike before 91,000 miles. I convinced a friend to buy it as a dirt-cheap way to get about, but she quickly got bored of spannering and bought a shiny bike. I already had a CB500 and had fallen for them in a big way so took pity on this heap and gave £300 for it (with some MOT and rent). It really is quite horrific, but everything works and is legal!

I replaced the complete exhaust after the original fell to bits, the disc, caliper and mastercylinder are a matched set from a lower mileage bike. New shocks, rectifier, CCT, added hotgrips, comprehensive crash protection and an awful colour-scheme that's noisy on the eye provides a thoroughly practical machine that nobody would be caught dead stealing. Random strangers talk to me, girls pose for pics (okay, once) it makes people smile!

It may be a bag o'shite, but it's MY bag o'shite!
    sullivj
    the 900
    the 900

Post by sullivj Sat 22 Feb 2014, 7:34 am

Tim was right, I couldn't sleep!

Bs, I think you're right about no one would steal it... Actually, I quite like the 'rat-bike' look, but don't tell my local Autoglym salesman!

Post by Guest Sat 22 Feb 2014, 9:23 am

badseeds wrote:Cheers mate! I have a mountain of spares, if your switchgear has died you can have one of mine for the price of postage.

Cheers for that! I'll see what it's like when I take it apart Smile
    UKTyler
    UKTyler
    Three's a Charm
    Three's a Charm

Post by UKTyler Sat 22 Feb 2014, 3:33 pm

Today, for the first time since November, I cleaned my bike:

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 3 Img_2024

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 3 Img_2025

Its not as clean as some on here, but it is better than it was, espeically for a 70,000 mile bike.

For the first time since fitting it last year I adjusted and topped up the Loobman chain oiler and fitted a  rad protecting mesh:

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 3 Img_2026

I got an off cut of mesh from a fencing place for a quid and sprayed it gold (because I'm vain). The paint came from poundland, so the whole thing cost £2 and I've got enough to do a few more. If anyone wants any I can bring it to Stratford for the next meet.

I also got a spare set of forks off Ebay for £46. It means I can get the seals done, paint the lowers and still use the bike.
    badseeds
    badseeds
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by badseeds Sat 22 Feb 2014, 4:04 pm

Nice colour on your wheels. The whole bike looks good (headlight stay aside!). I'm presently rebuilding my forks. Never done it before but it's not been too bad so far. I just need to drift the seals in...
    UKTyler
    UKTyler
    Three's a Charm
    Three's a Charm

Post by UKTyler Sat 22 Feb 2014, 4:08 pm

I do need a proper headlight bracket, these came on the bike and I've not got round to sorting it yet.

When I do the forks I'll get one and swap them over.

My local bike shop always has a few CB spares kicking around.
    sullivj
    the 900
    the 900

Post by sullivj Sat 22 Feb 2014, 4:30 pm

For 70k, that looks like it's in great condition.

I think I've got a headlight bracket in the shed if you want one?
    UKTyler
    UKTyler
    Three's a Charm
    Three's a Charm

Post by UKTyler Sat 22 Feb 2014, 4:35 pm

It looks better from a distance.

After the forks I'll be ding the wheels, the paint is starting to peel on them. Hopefully I can find a second pair, then get them powdercoated in the same colour as these.

I'll PM you about the headlight bracket, then I can get it painted before I fit it.

Rather than just fix it as things go wrong I'm trying to build up some spares and make minor improvements everytime I need to do anything to it.
    Mac 1
    Mac 1
    Squiddy
    Squiddy

Post by Mac 1 Sat 22 Feb 2014, 5:57 pm

UKTyler, could you tell me, did you have to extend your cables etc to fit the Renthal bars, and if so where did you get them, thanks in advance  Smile .
    stormbringer
    stormbringer
    the 900
    the 900

Post by stormbringer Sat 22 Feb 2014, 6:11 pm

sullivj wrote:Tim was right, I couldn't sleep!

Hmmm...

Perhaps some not so shocking pictures may help you get your OCD under control:
    What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 3 Dsc03811

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 3 Dsc03812
    [Spot two faults...]

Okay, this may not be CB parts, but for the sake of helping you sleep, I thought they would do Wink

Actually, this particular piece of mechanics - which by the way is genuine Honda stuff - has just celebrated its 41-years-birthday.
    Meaning it had been on the street for two years when the americans finally left Saigon in 1975.

Out of nowhere, a soundtrack by The Stones come to mind - Can't Get No...

Also, Austin Allegro hit the market that year. Just in time for the energy crisis...
    stormbringer
    stormbringer
    the 900
    the 900

Post by stormbringer Sat 22 Feb 2014, 6:47 pm

Changed the rear brake pads.

This is why:
    What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 3 20140210

I think the old ones were factory fitted - they have a 'Brembo'-stamp on the back...

Can't wait to try out the Vesrah-bits. Got 'em on the front brake too and they have a massive bite! Combined with HEL stainless steel braided hoses all over, my brake system upgrade is now complete.

Come March 1...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 13 May 2024, 4:50 pm