CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

+19
wornsprokets
magicman-alex
badseeds
peatrich
jerryfudd
Beresford
skyrider
Gonzumzum
stormbringer
alexknight2000
Ayrton F
jonnytub
Celt500
Basil Moss
HomeBrew
Jameshambleton
sullivj
eternally_troubled
ashcroc
23 posters

[solved]My first project bike!

Gonzumzum
    Gonzumzum
    the 900
    the 900

[solved]My first project bike! - Page 9 Empty Re: [solved]My first project bike!

Post by Gonzumzum Mon 09 Mar 2015, 5:08 pm

That trio of colours between engine, downpipes and wheels is just something amazing to look at!
    jerryfudd
    jerryfudd
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

[solved]My first project bike! - Page 9 Empty Re: [solved]My first project bike!

Post by jerryfudd Mon 09 Mar 2015, 8:49 pm

thanks!

popped out this evening to put the front sprocket and chain on - with a 15/42 setup that 108 link chain is a tight fit!

[solved]My first project bike! - Page 9 IMG_7113_zpsov38oujr
    sullivj
    the 900
    the 900

Post by sullivj Mon 09 Mar 2015, 9:05 pm

Does it have any slack? It looks mighty tight...
    jerryfudd
    jerryfudd
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd Mon 09 Mar 2015, 9:06 pm

it's on which was my only concern for tonight but yes there is some movement in it.
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Tue 10 Mar 2015, 1:30 pm

Slack will happen soon enough...
    sullivj
    the 900
    the 900

Post by sullivj Sat 14 Mar 2015, 11:17 pm

JerryFud, I can't believe you've not shared the bedroom shot with your virtual chums... Come on now!
    jerryfudd
    jerryfudd
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd Sun 15 Mar 2015, 8:20 am

the bedroom photography was between very very 'special' friends Laughing

......all briefly moved downstairs for another pic then stored away till needed - once again the photo doesn't do it all justice

[solved]My first project bike! - Page 9 FullSizeRender_zpsz6teqyaj
    ashcroc
    ashcroc
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc Sun 15 Mar 2015, 3:22 pm

Looking good.

With all the cash you're spending on this bike nothing less than gold leaf will do for the decals Wink
    jerryfudd
    jerryfudd
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd Sun 15 Mar 2015, 3:36 pm

after the unplanned expense of having to strip it completely remove all the frame corrosion it just seemed a false economy to start cutting corners putting it back together.... likewise to tidy and neatly restore old parts when the ultimate goal would be at somepoint to fit aftermarket ones - putting this bike together is most definitely a one time shot so once together this is how it's staying Wink
    jerryfudd
    jerryfudd
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd Wed 18 Mar 2015, 11:05 am

Just a quick update - quite a bit of work but no pics to show for it just yet. I gave myself a quiet deadline of April to complete the rebuild so that I'd have it ready for my birthday and with that looking more possible by the day I made the bold move and booked the MOT for a week on Saturday (28th!).

So, that in mind despite having to be up for 6am every morning for work I've been out there till gone midnight hitting that to do list pretty hard.

At the weekend I got the carb rubbers on, connected the throttle cables and loosely put the airbox in ready for the carbs (yes, thats right despite a booked MOT its still a non-runner at the moment!).

Monday I stripped down the left switchgear to do some cleaning to resolve the intermittent left and completely non-working right indicator then sorted out the wiring 'spaghetti' and curled it up behind the headlight which is also on.

Yesterday I rebuilt the rear master cylinder, hooked in the stainless brake line and got it bled aswell as fitting all of the new rubber bits to the freshly painted tank.

Still on the cards is to sort out the rear indicators, get the carbs in to sort out all the fuel hosing, balance the carbs and fit all the bodywork which all being well should happen by/during this weekend.

The potential problem with the plan is some small stainless steel jubilee clips, indicator brackets, clutch cable, small bore fuel hose and choke cable which are still in the post somewhere!
    sullivj
    the 900
    the 900

Post by sullivj Fri 20 Mar 2015, 11:37 pm

My Friday night pint of Harveys was interrupted by a VERY important call... Come on Dan, share the news...
    jerryfudd
    jerryfudd
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd Sat 21 Mar 2015, 11:46 pm

lol the sweet lumpy sound of a running CB500 Smile

Did some more tweaking today and re-covered the seat which isn't that bad for a first ever go.

[solved]My first project bike! - Page 9 IMG_3914_zpsuf1j54jm
    [solved]My first project bike! - Page 9 IMG_3915_zpsncwnjkdc

[solved]My first project bike! - Page 9 IMG_3916_zpsdxdtnjs2

[solved]My first project bike! - Page 9 IMG_3918_zps1v9nvjzc
    badseeds
    badseeds
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by badseeds Sat 21 Mar 2015, 11:59 pm

Kin 'ell, Dan! It looks fabulous! Details on the headlamp please.
    sullivj
    the 900
    the 900

Post by sullivj Sun 22 Mar 2015, 7:25 am

Nice to hear her finally running Dan. The seat's looking very good.
    magicman-alex
    magicman-alex
    Godly
    Godly

Post by magicman-alex Sun 22 Mar 2015, 12:04 pm

Looks fab! Can't wait to see it finished. :-)
    jerryfudd
    jerryfudd
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd Sun 22 Mar 2015, 5:29 pm

thanks for the comments - always good to hear.

headlamp was an eBay job....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MATT-BLACK-Crystal-Clear-Headlight-Honda-GS-CB500-CB600-CB900-Hornet-head-light-/351123091862?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item51c0913196

fitted the nose fairing today

[solved]My first project bike! - Page 9 IMG_7266_zpsf7mtt4qu
    sullivj
    the 900
    the 900

Post by sullivj Sun 22 Mar 2015, 6:57 pm

Looks MUCH nicer without those tatty Taiwanese gold screws!

Have you got a 'before' picture?!Laughing
    Beresford
    Beresford
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Beresford Sun 22 Mar 2015, 7:14 pm

Laughing Why does that saddle make me think of Boris...............
    [solved]My first project bike! - Page 9 7812__x200_bride_of_frankenstein_p_18
    sullivj
    the 900
    the 900

Post by sullivj Sun 22 Mar 2015, 7:30 pm

Both creators were handy with a stapler!
    jerryfudd
    jerryfudd
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd Sun 22 Mar 2015, 8:06 pm

ha, I'll keep my pictures to myself next time - it was my first ever seat cover Laughing

I actually did remove those leading staples and re-did them lower earlier this evening.
    Beresford
    Beresford
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Beresford Sun 22 Mar 2015, 8:09 pm

Pay no attention to me. It is a nice job.

Now this makes me think of 'MASH' - "Is this an officer or an enlisted man ?" ( convoluted joke about the size of stitches )
    jerryfudd
    jerryfudd
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd Sun 22 Mar 2015, 8:13 pm

Very Happy

I'm going to put some black Tamiya paint on the staples so they aren't so in your face - although as I'll be running a bolted on seat cowl I'll be lifting up the seat like next to never....

(hopefully!)
    Beresford
    Beresford
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Beresford Sun 22 Mar 2015, 8:22 pm

Seriously though. I was thinking of the stitching not the staples. If there are any staples near the front, take care that the tank is protected, because with your weight on the saddle they could damage the paint if they are too close.
    jerryfudd
    jerryfudd
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd Sun 22 Mar 2015, 8:38 pm

Ha! no chance of that!

oi..... what you saying of my weight?!?? Laughing

in stretching the seat cover I managed to pull it too far back and didn't have quite as much slack at the front as I needed so had to trim the foam on the leading edge to make it (it was either that or bin it) which has left me with a 10mm gap between tank and seat so I've got some foam to take up the gap.
    jerryfudd
    jerryfudd
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd Tue 24 Mar 2015, 1:09 am

as it happens the mot is still valid so that's off the list - bought my road tax so we're road legal and as I've just finished getting the rear indicators working and the tank plumbed in the CB is ready to ride - although still rather naked at the moment!

So still on the to do list for me is get all 'nut and bolt' ride out the way, bodywork on a few finishing touches and have something in mind for the rear light Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 May 2024, 4:53 pm