CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

+19
wornsprokets
magicman-alex
badseeds
peatrich
jerryfudd
Beresford
skyrider
Gonzumzum
stormbringer
alexknight2000
Ayrton F
jonnytub
Celt500
Basil Moss
HomeBrew
Jameshambleton
sullivj
eternally_troubled
ashcroc
23 posters

[solved]My first project bike!

Gonzumzum
    Gonzumzum
    the 900
    the 900

[solved]My first project bike! - Page 10 Empty Re: [solved]My first project bike!

Post by Gonzumzum Wed 25 Mar 2015, 3:45 pm

I don´t now why still there isn´t your profile picture in HiGH RES in this talk so we can see it better????
    Smile

That front screen is so nice! Absolutely love it.
    jerryfudd
    jerryfudd
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

[solved]My first project bike! - Page 10 Empty Re: [solved]My first project bike!

Post by jerryfudd Wed 25 Mar 2015, 4:03 pm

Hi, as you saw it was on another thread but have put it below anyway.

[solved]My first project bike! - Page 10 IMG_7295_zpssmoylgzx

I'll have it a bit more complete at the weekend and as long so as long the weather holds out ill get some good pics for the thread.
    Celt500
    Celt500
    Mothra the Radioactive
    Mothra the Radioactive

Post by Celt500 Wed 25 Mar 2015, 6:12 pm

Looks fantastic. Well done!
    sullivj
    the 900
    the 900

Post by sullivj Wed 25 Mar 2015, 8:01 pm

You've worked bloody hard on this Dan. Clearly it isn't easy to make THE most expensive CB500 on the planet!

There were times in the early days when I thought you'd never get it finished, but I'm very pleased to have been proved wrong!

To anyone else thinking "I could do that", be prepared to spend a small fortune, and probably about 300 hours - yes really!

Enjoy mate, enjoy!
    jerryfudd
    jerryfudd
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd Fri 27 Mar 2015, 9:17 am

still not quite there but took some better pics....

[solved]My first project bike! - Page 10 IMG_7317_zpsflow6pcb

[solved]My first project bike! - Page 10 IMG_7319_zpsi5d6dves

[solved]My first project bike! - Page 10 IMG_7320_zpshifogi2l
    HomeBrew
    HomeBrew
    the 900
    the 900

Post by HomeBrew Fri 27 Mar 2015, 9:49 am

Slick
    Gonzumzum
    Gonzumzum
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Gonzumzum Fri 27 Mar 2015, 10:31 am

Oh boy....

Imagine if Honda designes one cafe/classic/old school type of bike, like a Bonnevile or downgraded CB1100, with this engine version (carbed), with upgraded shocks, double brakes....
    Ayrton F
    Ayrton F
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

Post by Ayrton F Sat 18 Apr 2015, 2:16 pm

Jerryfud that is amazing! When I first joined this forum the bike was only starting to be assembled! Very nice to see it come together! 

One question you though ... Did you name it Razz ?
    wornsprokets
    wornsprokets
    the 900
    the 900

Post by wornsprokets Sat 18 Apr 2015, 2:35 pm

Bike looks lovely, how much did it cost to do?, love the colour , my uncle use to have a cb 250 n in black and  had gold wheels in early 80s always liked its colour
    jerryfudd
    jerryfudd
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd Sat 18 Apr 2015, 8:00 pm

ha, yes it has a name - panda. my wife named it but kind of stuck.

as she has seen sullivj's 'tango' a few times she had named my father-in-law's 'S' model CB lemonade sticking with the drink theme as just referring to bikes by letters and numbers was going over her head so I had the choice of panda or pepsi Rolling Eyes

as for how much it costs I'll never say and swear those that do to secrecy Laughing
    sullivj
    the 900
    the 900

Post by sullivj Sun 19 Apr 2015, 12:32 am

jerryfudd wrote:ha, yes it has a name - panda. my wife named it but kind of stuck.

as she has seen sullivj's 'tango' a few times she had named my father-in-law's 'S' model CB lemonade sticking with the drink theme as just referring to bikes by letters and numbers was going over her head so I had the choice of panda or pepsi Rolling Eyes

as for how much it costs I'll never say and swear those that do to secrecy Laughing

More than a brand new one would've cost you...!
    Llewelyn1965
    Llewelyn1965
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Llewelyn1965 Sun 19 Apr 2015, 12:55 am

don't be mean sully!!!! lol
    jerryfudd
    jerryfudd
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd Sun 19 Apr 2015, 5:19 am

.......new one didn't come with a full s/s system or Hagons front and rear - and fully adjustable ones that though Wink
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Sun 19 Apr 2015, 1:59 pm

sullivj wrote:

jerryfud wrote:
    as for how much it costs I'll never say and swear those that do to secrecy :lol:

More than a brand new one would've cost you...!

Do you mean more than a new one in 1997 (or whenever) or more than buying a 'new' one now (if one existed)?

Anyway, you can't get either, as neither exists today! So (from my perspective) I don't see any problem with spending a fair amount of cash on it, as long as that is what you want.

Jerryfud's bike is probably as close to a 'new' CB500 as you might get (from what I've read/see on here) and in some places better (powder coated frame etc) so I'm not really surprised that £££££££ may well have been spent ;)

From the small amount of experience I have had with older/classic bikes and cars, I have seen people that  spend thousands and thousands of pounds on doing thing up (making them 'new' again) and they then expect to get all that money back when the sell it - they are almost always sadly mistaken and end up unhappy.

The ones who end up happy are often the ones that spend thousands fully in the knowledge that they will get almost none of it back, but who just want to do it because they can and they want to.

I'm pretty confident that we are dealing with the second case here, so I'm not too concerned :)
    sullivj
    the 900
    the 900

Post by sullivj Sun 19 Apr 2015, 4:06 pm

I meant more than a new one, when it was new.

I enjoy teasing Dan about the cost. I'm fortunate enough to know how much it cost him. I'm also fortunate to have ridden THE most expensive CB500 on the planet. 

I'm not so fortunate that I had to spend many hours collecting, stripping and rebuilding it with him.. I'm joking of course, most of it was fun. Apart from when things don't go his way, and then he grows little red horns and gets REALLY grumpy!

You're quite right, he did it for the pleasure it gives him, and good for him.  I think he's mad, but the world needs mad people!
    jerryfudd
    jerryfudd
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd Sun 19 Apr 2015, 5:22 pm

he does love to tease Wink

I've always wanted to restore something aswell as having something ABSOLUTELY clean so all I had to do its maintain it and the CB seemed like a good project - albeit a bigger one than I'd imagined.

the painting cost was a killer at £1,000 for the powder coat and wet spraying - but then that incurs a hell of allot of hidden costs such as bearings etc etc. which is by no means cheap but couldn't paint with out removing them all.

then the tons upon tons of bolts were all rusted up which I replaced as with a brand new paint job it would make a joke of the paint cost if I didn't. I went OE Honda for everything structural - granted they are more expensive but SS aren't as strong as mild and in my opinion they are there and were chosen for a purpose. in all non-essential areas I went generic SS.

Then of course there is the modding cost........ rebuilt forks with Hagon springs aswell as the top of the line rears in the most expensive combination which was the SS body as I figured it would last better.... then adding of course the SS downpipes, Beowulf silencer, MotoBatt battery, crystal clear headlight, renthal bars, adjustable levers, nose fairing, painting the side panels, CBR indicators and re-covering the seat.

Then add in all the wear and tear items. The brake fluid, suspension fluid, coolant, air filter, brake discs, brake pads & tyre!

Lastly there is the fu*k ups of sodding up the original rear caliber and MC so had to replace that and also I bought the rad cowls, belly pan and single seat cowl which was all painted but I just never used!

If you factor 'just' the take it apart and put it together cost then it was actually pretty reasonable, mods were expensive as mods always are and its a bit unfair to add my mistakes and service items to the total as that its the ongoing cost of just owning a bike you could just aswell add the fuel I had to put in to move it.

it all comes down to I love the way it came out and brings a smile to my face every time I look at or ride it and thats even after getting off the Street Triple Very Happy never intended to to be as involved but by that time I was committed to finishing it.

oh and to add that it was a cat c write off when I bought it - so new stanchions and a rad!
    wornsprokets
    wornsprokets
    the 900
    the 900

Post by wornsprokets Sun 19 Apr 2015, 10:26 pm

Doesn't matter how much it cost, you have the bike you wanted the way you wanted .if you look at practical sports bikes magazine, some guys in that spend thousands on there bikes, and its usually bikes they had when they were younger and they buy wrecks do them up and when they ride them bring them back to a diffrent time. I once bought a bike (had little money )i was just able to buy it using debit and credit card maxed both
    wornsprokets
    wornsprokets
    the 900
    the 900

Post by wornsprokets Sun 19 Apr 2015, 10:36 pm

Also when I was buying this bike i was also on verge of being made redundant (08) but it was a bike I wanted from 17,  bikes for me have always been heart not head (doesn't meen buy in wreck) what do they say 4 wheels move body 2 wheels move soul (sorry if its cheezy)
    Llewelyn1965
    Llewelyn1965
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Llewelyn1965 Sun 19 Apr 2015, 10:57 pm

It's cheesy....but true!!!
    jerryfudd
    jerryfudd
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd Mon 20 Apr 2015, 11:43 am

agreed! Very Happy
    badseeds
    badseeds
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by badseeds Thu 21 May 2015, 9:13 pm

jerryfudd wrote:still not quite there but took some better pics....

[solved]My first project bike! - Page 10 IMG_7317_zpsflow6pcb

[solved]My first project bike! - Page 10 IMG_7319_zpsi5d6dves

[solved]My first project bike! - Page 10 IMG_7320_zpshifogi2l

Great work! I love the gold wheels.
    jerryfudd
    jerryfudd
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd Thu 21 May 2015, 10:45 pm

you'll get to see it soon enough - your still coming to beaulieu right?
    badseeds
    badseeds
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by badseeds Thu 21 May 2015, 11:07 pm

Yes I'm still up for that.
    jerryfudd
    jerryfudd
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd Thu 21 May 2015, 11:09 pm

excellent - still got your fork driver to give back!
    badseeds
    badseeds
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by badseeds Thu 21 May 2015, 11:14 pm

Oh good! I hoped you hadn't posted it to my work address as I no longer work there.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 May 2024, 1:55 pm