CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

+19
wornsprokets
magicman-alex
badseeds
peatrich
jerryfudd
Beresford
skyrider
Gonzumzum
stormbringer
alexknight2000
Ayrton F
jonnytub
Celt500
Basil Moss
HomeBrew
Jameshambleton
sullivj
eternally_troubled
ashcroc
23 posters

[solved]My first project bike!

Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

[solved]My first project bike! - Page 3 Empty Re: [solved]My first project bike!

Post by Jameshambleton Mon 17 Nov 2014, 12:09 pm

I wouldn't mind giving it a quick rub.. if you get what I mean Wink but in all seriousness though glad to see it coming along so well
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

[solved]My first project bike! - Page 3 Empty Re: [solved]My first project bike!

Post by eternally_troubled Mon 17 Nov 2014, 12:52 pm

The engine is one of the reasons that I don't really clean my bike - it is in a similar or worse state than yours and I suspect if I cleaned off all the crud (nearly impossible while it is in the frame) then I would find that the original finish will be gone too.

How are you planning on cleaning/sanding the engine before re-painting?
    jerryfudd
    jerryfudd
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd Mon 17 Nov 2014, 1:03 pm

...mention jiz and everyone's interested Laughing

[solved]My first project bike! - Page 3 DEB7101124E_0

I've given it a wash down with the Jiz-er and I'm satisfied its degreased so will give it a good go over with a wirebrush to remove any corrosion and then wet and dry it to flatten it back and then give it a spray with some VHT.

I don't think i'll be aiming for absolute perfection aslong as the fins and the side and covers come up well I don't think you'll really see much else do - that is until sullivj comes round to pick holes in it Smile
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Mon 17 Nov 2014, 1:10 pm

jerryfudd wrote:
    I've given it a wash down with the Jiz-er and I'm satisfied its degreased so will give it a good go over with a wirebrush to remove any corrosion and then wet and dry it to flatten it back and then give it a spray with some VHT.

I don't think i'll be aiming for absolute perfection aslong as the fins and the side and covers come up well I don't think you'll really see much else do - that is until sullivj comes round to pick holes in it :)

That was very much what I was thinking I would have to do to mine to have a chance of making it look better, I will be interested to see the result.

I don't know, but there may be a more suitable paint for engines than the VHT stuff that you normally use on exhausts.  

Halfords seem to do a 'high temperature enamel' (missing the 'very') which would be suitable for engines, but the website suggests it only comes in various blacks (gloss, satin, matt) and red.

There are probably better places to look than Halfords...

EDIT:

This:

http://www.frost.co.uk/por15-engine-enamel-paint-473ml.html

might well be better, but is more expensive (and I bet frost charges postage on top of that). I believe there is a colour called 'Aluminium' which might be right...

Last edited by eternally_troubled on Mon 17 Nov 2014, 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
    jerryfudd
    jerryfudd
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd Mon 17 Nov 2014, 1:13 pm

I'm more than tempted to give it a go with PJ1 satin black and polish the 3 covers
    sullivj
    the 900
    the 900

Post by sullivj Mon 17 Nov 2014, 1:29 pm

jerryfudd wrote:...mention jiz and everyone's interested Laughing

[solved]My first project bike! - Page 3 DEB7101124E_0

I don't think i'll be aiming for absolute perfection aslong as the fins and the side and covers come up well I don't think you'll really see much else do - that is until sullivj comes round to pick holes in it Smile
    As IF I would ever do a thing like that...

I would have done it WAY beforehand when you send me the progress pics!

Happy Jizzing. I know how much you love that bike! You must do with the amount of money you're spending.   A mistress would have been cheaper, and much more fun to ride!
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Mon 17 Nov 2014, 1:41 pm

jerryfudd wrote:I'm more than tempted to give it a go with PJ1 satin black and polish the 3 covers

That's not a bad idea...
    Beresford
    Beresford
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Beresford Mon 17 Nov 2014, 5:17 pm

You could consider having it vapour blasted ( much kinder to alloy castings ) and then finished with the Frost VHT Clear Engine Enamel. I did some Minilites like that some years ago and the result was very nice in an "engineered" kind of way - rather than a "bright aluminium" look.
    jerryfudd
    jerryfudd
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd Tue 02 Dec 2014, 8:12 pm

So, Christmas has come early in the Jerryfudd household! fresh from the coaters:cheers:

[solved]My first project bike! - Page 3 IMG_3484_zpsdae7dda7

[solved]My first project bike! - Page 3 IMG_3485_zpsec855074

[solved]My first project bike! - Page 3 IMG_3486_zpsad04a381

[solved]My first project bike! - Page 3 IMG_3487_zps69820961

[solved]My first project bike! - Page 3 IMG_3488_zps08bfde17

[solved]My first project bike! - Page 3 IMG_3489_zpsfef01378

Quite pleased I have to say Very Happy
    sullivj
    the 900
    the 900

Post by sullivj Tue 02 Dec 2014, 11:55 pm

The headers look especially nice mate. If they fair well over time, I might have to consider upgrading my  'poor mans' VHT finish!

Frame looks great too. I defiantly don't want to scratch that when we re-instal the engine!
    jerryfudd
    jerryfudd
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd Tue 02 Dec 2014, 11:58 pm

Just as I was considering upgrading my poor man powder to s/s at some point.

Looks good but I don't like the way the retainer doesn't grip the pipe evenly..... might be different once installed.

btw they do cure it in the oven - I remember someone asking....
    sullivj
    the 900
    the 900

Post by sullivj Wed 03 Dec 2014, 12:04 am

Yes, they would have.

The retainer just makes sure that the pipe crushes the gasket. It doesn't need to 'grip' the pipe.
    badseeds
    badseeds
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by badseeds Wed 03 Dec 2014, 8:52 pm

I'm loving the pics of powder-coated loveliness! Gold wheels looks right on CB500s. I intend to go gold.
    HomeBrew
    HomeBrew
    the 900
    the 900

Post by HomeBrew Wed 03 Dec 2014, 10:22 pm

Beresford wrote:You could consider having it vapour blasted ( much kinder to alloy castings ) and then finished with the Frost VHT Clear Engine Enamel. I did some Minilites like that some years ago and the result was very nice in an "engineered" kind of way - rather than a "bright aluminium" look.

Any chance of a picture? That does sound nice. 

The bike looks fantastic.
    Beresford
    Beresford
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Beresford Wed 03 Dec 2014, 10:29 pm

Sorry. The car is now in Japan and I didn't take any pics.
    ashcroc
    ashcroc
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc Wed 03 Dec 2014, 11:03 pm

Looks suburb. 

I still can't believe how for you've gone considering your original budget. Can't wait to see it back together.
    jerryfudd
    jerryfudd
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd Wed 03 Dec 2014, 11:18 pm

Yes, but it's all fun (or atleast it will when I look back on it), plus I've always wanted to restore something so it's been a great learning experience and I do just love the sound of that twin motor.

I really hadn't planned to take it so far but with all the corrosion I figured by that time I was already committed and wanted a good base to start from. I haven't posted pictures of allot of the things I've bought so there's more to see yet lol
    Basil Moss
    Basil Moss
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Basil Moss Thu 04 Dec 2014, 8:43 am

ashcroc wrote:Looks suburb.

Is that a new way of saying "street"? tongue
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Thu 04 Dec 2014, 12:39 pm

Basil Moss wrote:

Is that a new way of saying "street"? :tongue:

Well, some people would say that the CB500 is very suburban - it's boring and you seem them everywhere! ;)

Spelling is very dangerous thing...
    ashcroc
    ashcroc
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc Thu 04 Dec 2014, 12:53 pm

Basil Moss wrote:

Is that a new way of saying "street"? tongue
    Lysdexia roolz ko!
    jerryfudd
    jerryfudd
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd Tue 23 Dec 2014, 9:24 pm

So, no big update as yet but as some of you know from my 'wanted' post that I was having trouble sourcing a replacement wheel spacer after pulling this fine specimen from the wheel...

[solved]My first project bike! - Page 3 IMG_7289-1_zps7466dcd8

So, faced with a 5-7month wait I sent it off to the coaters with the job of cleaning it and this is what came back (note, i did say i had no preference on colour so they used what was being used at the time)....

[solved]My first project bike! - Page 3 IMG_6236_zps845ea2c9

Should do the job and being coated shouldn't happen again.

So, I now have all the bits to at least get it back to being a rolling frame so hopefully should have some more exciting updates in the new year!
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Wed 24 Dec 2014, 2:47 pm

Nice colour Smile

Just a thought: has it been coated on the inside? I can't quite remember how close fitting it is on the rear wheel spindle, but, depending on how much coating there is on the inside it may need a bit of adjustment...

Of course you may have put it all back together no problem by now.

Anyway, it will be harder for it to rust now.
    jerryfudd
    jerryfudd
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd Wed 24 Dec 2014, 2:52 pm

they haven't coated the inside and there a very light coating on the ends which I'm going to flatten off with some W&D.

sullivj was round last night and we couldn't see how it stays in place inside the rear wheel? only thing we could come up with is that its just floating held in place by the pressure of the bearings on either side???
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Wed 24 Dec 2014, 2:59 pm

jerryfudd wrote:
    sullivj was round last night and we couldn't see how it stays in place inside the rear wheel? only thing we could come up with is that its just floating held in place by the pressure of the bearings on either side???

That's exactly what it is supposed to do. It provides the connection between the bearing inners on either side of the wheel, so as you tighten up the axle bolt you aren't crushing the bearings inwards because they are braced against the opposite side. Hope that makes sense...

So, yes, you are right to carefully take the coating off the ends (to return it to its original length).
    jerryfudd
    jerryfudd
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd Wed 24 Dec 2014, 3:03 pm

cool, just found it odd there was nothing inside bracing it in place for when the axle isn't in.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 May 2024, 2:10 pm