CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

+51
ceejay
TheWizardofOdds
Jameshambleton
Basil Moss
AndyD
balth
Beresford
Anigai
hh_12345
WJE500
jerryfudd
Tricky.
sullivj
skyrider
Mad_Taffy_500
Invisible_Man
ashcroc
stormbringer
muttley1
wornsprokets
badseeds
phorx999
Scorgie88
trophydave
jim157
Ayep
Ayrton F
TheBlackPearl
steeeve66
cc1085
Alvi
Girth
jchesshyre
ANDYC
eternally_troubled
arrison
steady Eddy
GlenAnderson
trevor machine
alvamiga
geewhizz
mcalvert39
peatrich
Flyingbrick
Celt500
Stooby2
rwhitton
Vexx
Llewelyn1965
HomeBrew
Gonzumzum
55 posters

What did you do with your CB500 today?

alvamiga
    alvamiga
    Godzilla
    Godzilla

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 2 Empty Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by alvamiga Wed 22 Apr 2015, 12:31 am

I put some lights back on. Still experimenting with wiring and so on, so back to the transparent parcel tape for mounting! Had a tense few minutes on way home being followed by one police car and another alongside. Nothing technically wrong with the lights, but you never know when you're going to get pulled just to check them out! Very Happy

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 2 V3Lights
    trevor machine
    trevor machine
    the 900
    the 900

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 2 Empty Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by trevor machine Wed 22 Apr 2015, 6:43 am

Be ace if you came back to it this morning and there were loads of presents underneath it.
    alvamiga
    alvamiga
    Godzilla
    Godzilla

Post by alvamiga Wed 22 Apr 2015, 9:24 am

Maybe I should paint my CB green. I draw the line at wearing a fairy costume though! Wink
    rwhitton
    rwhitton
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

Post by rwhitton Wed 22 Apr 2015, 12:19 pm

Vexx wrote:Opened up the right hand carb to unstick what was sticking.. now runs on both cylinders again Very Happy 
    Found a bit of foam sponge in the carb as well, under the diaphragm.. just how the fishcake did it get there??? Shocked

I've read somewhere recently when looking for reasons mine wouldn't start the little pre filter foam element that sits above the valve cover disintegrates and can end up in the carb. Mine had turned into a sticky gunk! I replaced it with a bit of cut up dishwashing sponge
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Wed 22 Apr 2015, 12:53 pm

rwhitton wrote:

Vexx wrote:Opened up the right hand carb to unstick what was sticking.. now runs on both cylinders again :D 
    Found a bit of foam sponge in the carb as well, under the diaphragm.. just how the fishcake did it get there??? :shock:

I've read somewhere recently when looking for reasons mine wouldn't start the little pre filter foam element that sits above the valve cover disintegrates and can end up in the carb. Mine had turned into a sticky gunk! I replaced it with a bit of cut up dishwashing sponge

I'm not quite sure how the sub-air filter could manage to find its way into the carbs, unless a bit of sponge fell out of it and got sucked in - even then it would get stuck in the air filter!

The only way it could get there would be via the breather hoses and this seems a bit far fetched to me.... but who knows.

At least you found it and managed to fix the problem...
    rwhitton
    rwhitton
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

Post by rwhitton Wed 22 Apr 2015, 6:58 pm

Not got a clue mate. It was someone else's post. Sure it was on here somewhere. I'm not sure what is plumbed to what☺
    arrison
    arrison
    Four's a...something...
    Four's a...something...

Post by arrison Fri 24 Apr 2015, 5:18 pm

Fitted fork gaiters. Easy enough job-fairing off (mines the s-model), wheel off, mudguard off, brake caliper off, drop the fork legs out, bit of a clean, slide the gaiters over then put it all back as it was. Only snag i ran into was the horn-in its standard position it rubbed on the gaiters and stopped them compressing properly, so after a bit of head scratching I managed to relocate it on the back of the instrument panel.

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 2 2015-04-24%2015.32.02

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 2 2015-04-24%2015.31.51

Relocated horn

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 2 2015-04-24%2015.32.22
    Stooby2
    Stooby2
    Godzilla
    Godzilla

Post by Stooby2 Sat 25 Apr 2015, 5:14 pm

Carbs off, new jets and float valve needles in, good clean out of all the crap that was in there. Idle screws were all over the place - right hand one almost fully in, left hand one stuck about three turns out. Freed it up and reset to one and a half each. Put everything back together and re-balanced the carbs. Running much more evenly now.
    Celt500
    Celt500
    Mothra the Radioactive
    Mothra the Radioactive

Post by Celt500 Tue 28 Apr 2015, 12:07 am

False neutral-ed coming down from 4th to 3rd and went round a corner with no power. Shocked
    It was 'orrible, my least favourite corner as well; downhill, off camber, long tight right-hander with gravel at the edge. affraid
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Tue 28 Apr 2015, 12:17 pm

I got another one... Yup, I got another cb500 for donor parts since my current cb500 as it'll be needing a few expensive parts soonish front forks, discs and every spare part I'll ever need, so I'm hoping it'll temporally save myself some money... that is until I've got some sort of job then I can start restoring the new donor bike.
    stormbringer
    stormbringer
    the 900
    the 900

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 2 Empty Went on tour with my driving instructor

Post by stormbringer Sun 03 May 2015, 7:47 am

As the title says, I - and sixty other people - joined at our driving instructor's business, from where we went on a collective tour round the landscape of middle Jutland. We visited the lake area around Silkeborg, had coffee and then went on to visit his home address, where the barbecue was lit.

This is becoming a tradition and ever more people join in. A nice day out - not a cloud in sight all day - where you get to meet people from all walks of life and see the machinery they own.
    Flyingbrick
    Flyingbrick
    Four's a...something...
    Four's a...something...

Post by Flyingbrick Sun 03 May 2015, 7:52 am

Now it's my turn to call you a lucky bastard, I guess...I rode to work this morning at 4° centigrade...
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Sun 03 May 2015, 8:03 am

I replaced the Led indicators with normal bulb ones and they're so much brighter! At last I fitted a pannier rack with the addition of having to go to four shops for the bullet connectors that I didn't end up using and... another three shops for two m8-60 bolts. What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 2 20150510
    Gonzumzum
    Gonzumzum
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Gonzumzum Sun 03 May 2015, 11:36 am

It seems your right bag (left in the image) is differently set than the right one. That config is great. You can go dinner with the lady, and save helmets and jackets in a safe place!
    ashcroc
    ashcroc
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc Mon 04 May 2015, 5:06 pm

Fitted new mirrors.  Fingers crossed these are better than the poxy pattern ones that came with the bike.
    badseeds
    badseeds
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by badseeds Mon 04 May 2015, 7:33 pm

I put my GoPro on my swingingarm and ground away my hero blobs, because I'm an idiot.

jchesshyre
    jchesshyre
    the 900
    the 900

Post by jchesshyre Mon 04 May 2015, 8:30 pm

Hahahaha awesome. 

Today I looked under my fork gaiters to find that both seals have gone. Never had to do this in 145,000 miles on my previous CB so I have no experience of doing it. Luckily I have all the parts as I bought them just before deciding to retire my previous bike. 

Got the forks off. Got the springs and damper rods out. Spent half an hour trying to separate the stanchions from the legs. Gave up and decided to wuss out and take them to the garage tomorrow. I don't have a blowtorch or anything. I'm just going to get him to take the old seals and bushes out, the rest I'm doing myself. I'm worried about getting the new bushes in but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
    badseeds
    badseeds
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by badseeds Mon 04 May 2015, 8:33 pm

Keep the old seals and bushes to use as drifts.
    jchesshyre
    jchesshyre
    the 900
    the 900

Post by jchesshyre Mon 04 May 2015, 8:37 pm

Good tip, will do. 

Tomorrow I'll post a photo of what the old dust seals look like. One of them is all bubbled and rust coloured - the spring inside has presumably rusted and basically started destroying the seal. 

The bike only had 13k when I got it a year ago. It has 37k on it now and I've changed the fork oil once, about a month ago, but I reckon the oil in there was the original, 17 year-old soup. I think the new oil has washed away some of the corroded sh*te and allowed the seals to start leaking. It'll be a very satisfying job to finish.
    skyrider
    skyrider
    the 900
    the 900

Post by skyrider Mon 04 May 2015, 8:42 pm

yea and start off afresh again
    jchesshyre
    jchesshyre
    the 900
    the 900

Post by jchesshyre Mon 04 May 2015, 8:44 pm

'xactly.
    ceejay
    ceejay
    the 900
    the 900

Post by ceejay Tue 05 May 2015, 12:23 pm

Passed MOT no advisories although did have to adjust the headlight slightly. The tester said my bike was an 'excellent bike' although maybe he says that to everyone  Very Happy

When I bought the bike last year I got the bike MOT'd the same day and rear wheel alignment was an advisory. I checked it out and the little guides were matching either side but the was wheel blatantly mis-aligned. I know those guides are never 100% but I'm quite surprised just how far out they are on this bike. This morning I corrected the tension in the chain before the test and had a hard time getting the wheel straight again because I can't use those guides. I tried the method of measuring from the axle to the swing arm pivot but is a bit difficult on this bike due to exhaust in the way etc. Waiting out side the test centre and looking at the back of my bike I'm still not convinced its dead straight although it never got picked up. I asked the MOT guy about it and he told me not to worry because he gets '3 year old BMW's that are impossible to have correct wheel alignment because of the way they are made'  Smile

Either way I'm going to have a go at this guys method in a minute just to put my mind at rest:
    http://www.pegmonkey.com/node/1057
    jchesshyre
    jchesshyre
    the 900
    the 900

Post by jchesshyre Tue 05 May 2015, 12:44 pm

I'm quite sure that 'excellent bike' comment is reserved for CB500s. With all other bikes it would either be stating the obvious or untrue. Laughing  What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 2 737901405
    jerryfudd
    jerryfudd
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd Tue 05 May 2015, 1:20 pm

made a radiator guard.... nothing wrong with the old one just didn't think the plastic suited the bike and felt that the offerings at mikes grilles didn't look all that and were overpriced - I'm pretty sure I only paid £50 for a Beowulf stainless one for the old CBF so got some R&G universal stuff and some lockwire for £25 delivered at got to work using the old rad to mock up on with help from my father in law.

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 2 IMG_7754_zpsihtixj77

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 2 IMG_7751_zpsbpbkrdea

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 2 FullSizeRender_zps9foe5j9f

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 2 IMG_7753_zpscazdgl05
    badseeds
    badseeds
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by badseeds Tue 05 May 2015, 1:25 pm

Looks lovely, Dan. I never liked the crappy plastic original one which is why I made my own one, too.

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 2 WP_20140730_004_zps0ce29d3d

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 11 May 2024, 12:11 pm