CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

+57
davecb5002
shropshirewildman
Yozzer
John_B
alanp
r1ncew1nd
UKTyler
skyerae
NotASecretaccount
tt fan
jonnyteabag
Itsuki
Mr bounce
Fair Weather Rider
ANDYC
jerryfudd
sullivj
Jameshambleton
l.t.racing
rob75
spanner monkey
jonny10
Vardypeeps
Crash- Elmit
Taurus
Baddi
ZekeVal
Brillpaul
ows
Munky205
hh_12345
Grarea
Alvi
ceejay
badseeds
trophydave
muttley1
topher
Llewelyn1965
Tricky.
jim157
Beresford
geewhizz
skyrider
pendleton_j
trevor machine
Stooby2
arrison
Jack359
ashcroc
stormbringer
liverpool_f_
eternally_troubled
TheWizardofOdds
Anigai
al-91
wornsprokets
61 posters

What did you do with your CB500 today?

Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 20 Empty Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by Jameshambleton Thu 22 Dec 2016, 8:06 pm

Tricky. wrote:

Jameshambleton wrote:Old habits die hard with my cb500, idles on both pots but once it's under load it misfires at 3k and when it's not under load 4k rpm and above it only fires on one pot.  Mad
    let me know when you find the problem, ive got the same thing going on  Crying or Very sad

I thought you got that sorted out with new/replacement coils? 

I'm just glad it did it 4 miles from home and not later on, I've got a suspicion that it's a blocked main jet.
    wornsprokets
    wornsprokets
    the 900
    the 900

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 20 Empty Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by wornsprokets Thu 22 Dec 2016, 8:18 pm

It Could been another horsebox moment james  santa
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Thu 22 Dec 2016, 8:35 pm

wornsprokets wrote:It Could been another horsebox moment james  santa

Could also have been broken for spares like what happened to my other one!  Twisted Evil
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Fri 23 Dec 2016, 8:40 am

Jameshambleton wrote:
    ....blocked main jet.

Could you not just chuck the 'spare' carbs from the old bike onto it? (or have I misunderstood how many spares you have)

Given you've said that this happens at 3k when it is idle and 4k under load have you swapped out the coils/ht leads? I'm not convinced that 3k on-the-stand really involves the main-jet that much... just a thought.
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Fri 23 Dec 2016, 9:11 am

eternally_troubled wrote:
    Jameshambleton wrote:
    ....blocked main jet.
    Could you not just chuck the 'spare' carbs from the old bike onto it? (or have I misunderstood how many spares you have)

Given you've said that this happens at 3k when it is idle and 4k under load have you swapped out the coils/ht leads?  I'm not convinced that 3k on-the-stand really involves the main-jet that much...  just a thought.
    It's from the engine that I blew up, I'll give her a run as is and see what happens. If it doesn't end well I'll take apart the carbs, if it's still buggered then I'll just swap over the carbs and suffer 10mpg loss until I get it sorted.

Turns out after poking the connectors to the coils that it made a difference from pulling the wires. I had a bit more of a poke about and I could basically stall the bike by moving the wires - turned out the ground connector was intact but heavily corroded, gave it some wd40 and bits started coming out, I pulled off the plastic protector and crimped a new connector on the end and all is well revving through the range.
    skyrider
    skyrider
    the 900
    the 900

Post by skyrider Fri 23 Dec 2016, 12:48 pm

well done good fettling Very Happy I ran mine up in the cave this morning its not been run for a few weeks and it ran well cheers
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Fri 23 Dec 2016, 9:16 pm

I've also poorly welded some more nuts onto the rear subframe for the pannier rack as one had stripped and the other wasn't far off. I've also tried to weld my luggage rack, it looks more like an arc weld than a mig but the joys of not having a proper mask so I have to close my eyes and hope for the best.
    skyrider
    skyrider
    the 900
    the 900

Post by skyrider Sat 24 Dec 2016, 9:48 am

aye you don't want ark eye for christmas No
    wornsprokets
    wornsprokets
    the 900
    the 900

Post by wornsprokets Sat 24 Dec 2016, 10:07 am

Buy ur self a welding mask their not that expensive james.... and you have it years
    skyrider
    skyrider
    the 900
    the 900

Post by skyrider Sat 24 Dec 2016, 10:10 am

and some of the newer ones are automatic darkening Smile
    Taurus
    Taurus
    Scratcher!
    Scratcher!

Post by Taurus Sat 24 Dec 2016, 11:46 am

You can buy an automatic darkening one for peanuts these days - they are brilliant. Makes welding so much easier than the old type.
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Sat 24 Dec 2016, 5:04 pm

Jameshambleton wrote:I've also poorly welded some more nuts onto the rear subframe for the pannier rack as one had stripped and the other wasn't far off. I've also tried to weld my luggage rack, it looks more like an arc weld than a mig but the joys of not having a proper mask so I have to close my eyes and hope for the best.

It is quite possible to weld with your eyes closed, it certainly doesn't help the quality of the output!  I'd be more concerned about setting my hair on fire or getting a spark up my nose or something similar...

I got one of these only 12 quid from machine mart - not auto darkening but better than a spark in the wrong place and it matches my welding skills (poor) and welding equipment (ancient!).  Plus you get to look a bit like Bender from Futurerama

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 20 Bender_Rodriguez

PAGING JAMES' MUM - GET HIM A WELDING MASK FOR CHRISTMAS ;)
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Sat 24 Dec 2016, 9:56 pm

skyrider wrote:and some of the newer ones are automatic darkening Smile

The one have I have you have to hold and it's not automatically darkening so it's like working blind folded while only been able to have one hand free. I'm going to be getting a proper one once I have the funds obviously.
    jerryfudd
    jerryfudd
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd Tue 27 Dec 2016, 6:25 pm

....added a denali sound bomb mini horn under the petrol tank to keep it out the way

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 20 9zmlToK
    ZekeVal
    ZekeVal
    Running out of unique names
    Running out of unique names

Post by ZekeVal Tue 27 Dec 2016, 7:56 pm

Wow, nice job! Wish it was that neat under my tank.
    wornsprokets
    wornsprokets
    the 900
    the 900

Post by wornsprokets Tue 27 Dec 2016, 8:18 pm

I dont think theres many cb's like jerryfudds  bike...condition out there
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Tue 27 Dec 2016, 8:32 pm

wornsprokets wrote:I dont think theres many cb's like jerryfudds  bike...condition out there

I don't think many people would buy OEM zipties either
    spanner monkey
    spanner monkey
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Post by spanner monkey Tue 27 Dec 2016, 11:09 pm

Jameshambleton wrote:

wornsprokets wrote:I dont think theres many cb's like jerryfudds  bike...condition out there

Funny you should say that, mine is certainly not that neat under the tank, but I bought an OEM sub air cleaner filter, and I think afterwards I got told on here to just tear up a bit of sponge. £11 wasted.
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Tue 27 Dec 2016, 11:27 pm

spanner monkey wrote:

Jameshambleton wrote:

Funny you should say that, mine is certainly not that neat under the tank, but I bought an OEM sub air cleaner filter, and I think afterwards I got told on here to just tear up a bit of sponge. £11 wasted.

If it makes you feel any better i use part of a sock for the subair  filter
    jerryfudd
    jerryfudd
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd Wed 28 Dec 2016, 9:33 am

Jameshambleton wrote:

there they are in the pic in all their OEM glory..... all 3 cost less than going to pizza hut yesterday and yet they still give me pleasure everytime I lift the tank 2years later.

all a matter of perspective really

...absolute bargain
    wornsprokets
    wornsprokets
    the 900
    the 900

Post by wornsprokets Wed 28 Dec 2016, 11:38 am

Can you put few pics of your mint cb up again jerryfudd please
    sullivj
    the 900
    the 900

Post by sullivj Wed 28 Dec 2016, 11:56 am

wornsprokets wrote:Can you put few pics of your mint cb up again jerryfudd please

I think there's quite a few in his 'restomod' thread, linked to at the bottom of his post above.
    jerryfudd
    jerryfudd
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd Wed 28 Dec 2016, 12:18 pm

wornsprokets wrote:Can you put few pics of your mint cb up again jerryfudd please

but of course......

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 20 X5cQYq9

....or something a bit newer

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 20 ARsYydt
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Sat 07 Jan 2017, 8:41 pm

Just put the steering lock on my cb500 turned around to put it on my cb400 and my 500 rolled forward and the side stand folded, bike fell over trapping me between both bikes by my legs.
    skyrider
    skyrider
    the 900
    the 900

Post by skyrider Sat 07 Jan 2017, 9:07 pm

strewth a bike sandwich are you ok

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 10 May 2024, 1:53 pm