CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

+57
davecb5002
shropshirewildman
Yozzer
John_B
alanp
r1ncew1nd
UKTyler
skyerae
NotASecretaccount
tt fan
jonnyteabag
Itsuki
Mr bounce
Fair Weather Rider
ANDYC
jerryfudd
sullivj
Jameshambleton
l.t.racing
rob75
spanner monkey
jonny10
Vardypeeps
Crash- Elmit
Taurus
Baddi
ZekeVal
Brillpaul
ows
Munky205
hh_12345
Grarea
Alvi
ceejay
badseeds
trophydave
muttley1
topher
Llewelyn1965
Tricky.
jim157
Beresford
geewhizz
skyrider
pendleton_j
trevor machine
Stooby2
arrison
Jack359
ashcroc
stormbringer
liverpool_f_
eternally_troubled
TheWizardofOdds
Anigai
al-91
wornsprokets
61 posters

What did you do with your CB500 today?

Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 38 Empty Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by Jameshambleton Tue 28 Nov 2017, 4:47 pm

I finally got round to editing my Season 2016 (last years) video.
    tt fan
    tt fan
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 38 Empty Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by tt fan Tue 28 Nov 2017, 5:36 pm

Used mine to beat the traffic and get to the dentist on time...
    Great video James
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Thu 30 Nov 2017, 3:54 pm

I think Fair Weather Rider mentioned something about hibernating. Does anyone know what the word "hibernating" means? Laughing

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 38 Y4mo7av7NGJlkw1fNDT_KDb4xdGvDyiSR5KtEzS702QV_IBU95BBoG2HdqXFZ7zfazRqDqR-LK3yB4zX7q7Nqo-q7DcPAaQvTK86SLParW4CaBfvkYauczP8xZfWwjZPYsYlH-UIFVg9g4de7cJL4gb4K4sOCoKXvJZGwKwZvkfobJqWa-1beVa1vsErQyzN0amG4j0lB3_ZJrel2XoXlrgbw?width=1932&height=2576&cropmode=none
    skyrider
    skyrider
    the 900
    the 900

Post by skyrider Thu 30 Nov 2017, 4:04 pm

ask a hedgehog
    Fair Weather Rider
    Fair Weather Rider
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Fair Weather Rider Thu 30 Nov 2017, 7:07 pm

skyrider wrote:ask a hedgehog

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
    Beresford
    Beresford
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Beresford Thu 30 Nov 2017, 7:39 pm

Jameshambleton wrote:Does anyone know what the word  "hibernating" means? Laughing
    It is a word used to describe a scotsman having a Madras curry up a mountain, I believe.
    Beresford
    Beresford
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Beresford Tue 05 Dec 2017, 12:23 am

Beresford wrote:Let me see. I bought my CB500S and joined this forum maybe 4 or 5 years ago and the battery that was in the bike - which I think may have been the OEM has just died. Graciously, at home after a run, and not stranding me miles away. I love this bike.

Well as a follow up to this. I hadn't got round to getting a new battery, so as an experiment I levered the cover off the top of the old one and topped up the cells with distilled water (like you're not supposed to do ) with an eye-dropper, and lo-and-behold the bike has been reliably starting ever since with no problems ! New battery not needed, it would seem.
    skyrider
    skyrider
    the 900
    the 900

Post by skyrider Tue 05 Dec 2017, 8:20 am

nice trick see how it goes
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Wed 06 Dec 2017, 7:29 pm

Beresford wrote:
    Beresford wrote:Let me see. I bought my CB500S and joined this forum maybe 4 or 5 years ago and the battery that was in the bike - which I think may have been the OEM has just died. Graciously, at home after a run, and not stranding me miles away. I love this bike.

Well as a follow up to this. I hadn't got round to getting a new battery, so as an experiment I levered the cover off the top of the old one and topped up the cells with distilled water (like you're not supposed to do ) with an eye-dropper, and lo-and-behold the bike has been reliably starting ever since with no problems ! New battery not needed, it would seem.

Last time my reg.rectifier toasted itself it overcharged the battery and pretty much boiled itself dry. I took it off the bike and prised (it's easy if you have a screwdriver) off the acid filling cover and added a suitable amount of distilled water to each cell.

Suffice to say the battery wasn't as good as before but it was a lot better than dead, so it is certainly worth a try.

As @Beresford says you will need a eye-dropper or v small syringe to refill the cells - best to do it slowly and put the battery somewhere (or on something) that won't care if you get a bit of acid on it (just in case!).
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Wed 06 Dec 2017, 8:32 pm

I'm planning my next Euro tour, Just working on the times for the ferries at the moment. Given it's £25 each way. Last 2 weeks in June... lets gooo
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Thu 07 Dec 2017, 8:55 pm

Well my 150 rear tyre came today and it's going to be fitting on a 4" rim (cb400 super four nc31) which I've fitted to my cb500. I've done some measuring up, the width of the tyre is a true 150mm, the bead is 4.2" at rest meaning two things. The tyre will clear the chain without issue in theory and two, the profile won't become distorted as it's perfect for the rim. My only issue is that on the 97' model there is a lip that runs along the inside of the swingarm (this isn't present on any other year) so I may need to swap out the swingarm with one from a different year.
    skyrider
    skyrider
    the 900
    the 900

Post by skyrider Fri 08 Dec 2017, 10:11 am

that's the problem with modifications one solution causes another problem
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Fri 08 Dec 2017, 11:05 am

Just mocked up the rear tyre (not fitted to the rim) and it seems to have good enough clearance either side. I measured up the 140 rear and it's 145mm wide, making the overall width each side 2.5mm wider so I've still got clearance.

In other news, my front tyre got put on the wrong lorry so it's currently somewhere in South London and not North Yorkshire
    skyrider
    skyrider
    the 900
    the 900

Post by skyrider Fri 08 Dec 2017, 6:44 pm

that sounds about right
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Sat 09 Dec 2017, 9:20 am

fits perfectly, wouldn't want to run a 160 tyre though!
    The 150 just clears the the lip of the inside of my swingarm though it shouldn't make a difference for anyone other than people with cb500v's (or atleast the v model swingarm). Anything above 150 will need offset sprockets for the chain clearance as well as some major surgery (thankfully AndyC has already done that headache for us)
    Crash- Elmit
    Crash- Elmit
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Crash- Elmit Sun 10 Dec 2017, 12:15 pm

stripped my bike to get at trhe wiring loom. Still blowing fuses on the rear light/brake light/indicator bulbs circuit.
    Took all of the pins out of the connector block (red 8 pin)on the switchgear side and pushed them into their opposite number one by one. fuse blew on inserting the brown/white wire, which, if im reading the schematics properly is the rear light supply. created a link wire from switch to rear light, cutting out the main loom altogether. lo and behold rear light worked without blowing fuse so break/fault must be in main loom. got too dark to do any more so covered bike over till yesterday.
    When I left bike everything was working except the front brake light, which was not too much of a bother until MOT time and the parking light,again not a bother but now the damn thing wont start, as if the stop circuit is active. I am at a complete loss as to what is wrong with it.
    Crash- Elmit
    Crash- Elmit
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Crash- Elmit Tue 12 Dec 2017, 12:17 am

discovered why it would not start. I had managed to cross the brake switch and start wires scratch Embarassed

Now need to bypass the supply wire to rear light on a more permanent basis if my bodge actually works but wont know until I work on it again its too bloody cold to be working on it outside for too long
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Tue 12 Dec 2017, 9:14 am

Crash- Elmit wrote:its too bloody cold to be working on it outside for too long

It's all fun and games until the wind starts blowing or your hands start freezing onto your tools.

wornsprokets
    wornsprokets
    the 900
    the 900

Post by wornsprokets Tue 12 Dec 2017, 10:25 am

Was cold today on way into work roads were ok... yesterday was colder... my visor  constantly getting coated is road salt...and wiping it on move...cant see through visor then.... affraid....glad i have fibre glass engine protectors from sheps racefairings just in case Rolling Eyes
    ANDYC
    ANDYC
    the 900
    the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC Tue 12 Dec 2017, 10:46 am

Jameshambleton wrote:fits perfectly, wouldn't want to run a 160 tyre though!
    The 150 just clears the the lip of the inside of my swingarm though it shouldn't make a difference for anyone other than people with cb500v's (or atleast the v model swingarm). Anything above 150 will need offset sprockets for the chain clearance as well as some major surgery (thankfully AndyC has already done that headache for us)

I ran a 160 for years. 
    The centre stand was the only problem really as I had already spaced the chain out by 5mm.
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Tue 12 Dec 2017, 4:46 pm

ANDYC wrote:

I ran a 160 for years. 
    The centre stand was the only problem really as I had already spaced the chain out by 5mm.

That and custom spacers, bored out swingarm adjusters ect. Not sure everyone would go to that length.
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Tue 12 Dec 2017, 4:50 pm

Lovely day for scrubbing in my brand new front tyre.

Despite the ice, snow, wet roads, salt and the fact that it's a new tyre I was taking corners like it was warm and dry. My only complaint is that there is some water in my seat foam and it had frozen making 0 custening.

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 38 Y4mC617yYszmcLI-d2wRf_v2CZvkH2AJv1VZSgLPacU4-TQYyQShasu1_a5lMn46HdoBo5EIGOYvlcGx4e6o_J0ucrxc-9WutLmJIbYYHq7gcxJLIFUM8W9ojX0eToSap6b1AlxGu-lgGQPFsih_NldbQ9n1FZVhqU4e4BDDvjqeJs_oO92sqG4vxQDvz0NBx3416yUHMws4Giy5IK0McXBoA?width=4128&height=2322&cropmode=none

skyrider
    skyrider
    the 900
    the 900

Post by skyrider Tue 12 Dec 2017, 6:39 pm

that would be a fresh ride out
    ANDYC
    ANDYC
    the 900
    the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC Tue 12 Dec 2017, 8:17 pm

Jameshambleton wrote:

ANDYC wrote:

I ran a 160 for years. 

That and custom spacers, bored out swingarm adjusters ect. Not sure everyone would go to that length.  

That is true James,  but for the first few years I ran the standard rear spindle with just spacers to suit the bearings. So it can be as difficult as you want to make it I guess. 
    Very Happy
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Sat 16 Dec 2017, 7:34 pm

Bike kill switching herself is back... again, basically kill switching my engine as I'm riding along causing it to cut out and back fire and it did. My bike just spat flames at the car behind me with two massively loud back fires and then cut out. Started it up again and got upto into my street, looks in my mirror and it's only a bloody fully marked up bmw traffic police. OOPS.

I've only noticed that this only happens when the bike is cold, any travel for more than 0.5 of a mile and she's fine. You can stop and just as long as the engine is warm the issue isn't there. Sometimes it's fully pressing up the gear lever to the max when changing gear that causes it, other times it's the clutch position, full out sometimes isn't a problem as other times fully in isn't a problem. Other times it's a combination of them all, other times not a single issue.

Other news, bt023's my god they're bloody great, I was scrubbing in the front in wet snow in the hedgerow temps and I were riding as if it was a summers day as if I was taking it easy. I've noticed that the turn in is a little slower but nothing some countersteering won't resolve or some dry roads. The speedo over read is a little more than before on the front 30mph indicated is 28.6mph. Meaning if I keep the speedo reading under 69mph I'm not even eligible for a speed awareness course . =D

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 20 May 2024, 2:06 pm