CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

+51
Al1040
eternally_troubled
chromedome
cheesepiece1
Melitos
Hcb
deejay
smokingsig
stormbringer
liverpool_f_
Drago76
steeeve66
geewhizz
ojacobs1
burudis
Mr Messy
haybunch
Kairos
cc1085
TheWizardofOdds
shropshirewildman
cbcombo
cushdrive
Llewelyn1965
mikethebike
sullivj
ceejay
skyerae
Stevie Gimo
fgclark123
hovis
Grarea
motofan
ANDYC
wornsprokets
ZekeVal
wrighty
r1ncew1nd
tt fan
davecb5002
GollyGosh
Crash- Elmit
trevor machine
Oafski
cj haughey
hh_12345
freeride
Beresford
skyrider
muttley1
Jameshambleton
55 posters

What did you do with your CB500 today?

sullivj
    the 900
    the 900

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 6 Empty Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by sullivj Mon 16 Apr 2018, 9:32 pm

It felt really good thanks Dave. Before the replacement, I couldn't really move it off the peg, so being able to stretch my leg out when I need to, will make a big difference to me.

I'm week 8 post op, so still doing lots of exercises, but seeing an improvement most days.

Nice to be back in the saddle.
    mikethebike
    mikethebike
    Crotch Rocketuer
    Crotch Rocketuer

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 6 Empty Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by mikethebike Mon 23 Apr 2018, 5:34 pm

You may remember in my diary post I said I'd be replacing my indicators that were held together by gaffer tape over the year.  I won a new left and right hand bracket for the rear ones on ebay over the weekend and they came with a couple of indicators attached - result! 

However, the previous owner had just cut through the wires when the bike was stripped, so the bayonet fixings were missing on the indicator wires and the wires themselves were too short anyway!  So, I spent the afternoon yesterday stripping the indicator shells off and then beginning to replace the first of the broken ones, using the original wires from the broken indicators. 

Initially it looked like an easy swap out, but I wasn't counting on Honda having fitted a small rubber grommet within the indicator stalk itself.  It took a while to be able to prize this out to be able to release the wires for re-use in the newer bodies, but got it done in the end (on one indicator anyway).  Will tackle another one next weekend. Very Happy
    mikethebike
    mikethebike
    Crotch Rocketuer
    Crotch Rocketuer

Post by mikethebike Mon 23 Apr 2018, 5:35 pm

You may remember in my diary post I said I'd be replacing my indicators that were held together by gaffer tape over the year.  I won a new left and right hand bracket for the rear ones on ebay over the weekend and they came with a couple of indicators attached - result! 

However, the previous owner had just cut through the wires when the bike was stripped, so the bayonet fixings were missing on the indicator wires and the wires themselves were too short anyway!  So, I spent the afternoon yesterday stripping the indicator shells off and then beginning to replace the first of the broken ones, using the original wires from the broken indicators. 

Initially it looked like an easy swap out, but I wasn't counting on Honda having fitted a small rubber grommet within the indicator stalk itself.  It took a while to be able to prize this out to be able to release the wires for re-use in the newer bodies, but got it done in the end (on one indicator anyway).  Will tackle another one next weekend. Very Happy
    trevor machine
    trevor machine
    the 900
    the 900

Post by trevor machine Mon 23 Apr 2018, 5:41 pm

Ragged the f*** out of it cos the ninja's off the road with a leaky fuel pipe. 

Swore I'd flog the 500 cos it's getting no use, but after thrashing it stupid today and yesterday I might have to bloody well keep the damn thing. 

It's so shaky, and flexes up and down and is hinged in the middle, but wow it does reward a firm hand.
    Llewelyn1965
    Llewelyn1965
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Llewelyn1965 Mon 23 Apr 2018, 7:50 pm

Just got back from Shrewsbury where I joined the 'bike4life' rideout yesterday. 3500 bikes on a 23 mile trip from Shrewsbury to RAF Cosford. What an amazing site. Did it last year too. Raises money for the Midlands Air Ambulance. Some fantastic machines involved.

Post by Guest Wed 25 Apr 2018, 6:40 pm

New rear tyre, MOT passed, no advisories Very Happy
    Grarea
    Grarea
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Grarea Wed 25 Apr 2018, 6:43 pm

Nice.
    stormbringer
    stormbringer
    the 900
    the 900

Post by stormbringer Wed 25 Apr 2018, 8:43 pm

Replaced all 4 indicators to mini versions with some sort of Halogen bulbs. Required a replacement relay too, because the bulbs use less power.
    Oafski
    Oafski
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Post by Oafski Thu 26 Apr 2018, 11:03 am

Managed to snap an exhaust pipe stud on Tuesday while trying to fit my new Delkevic System, new studs and nuts arrived this morning courtesy of David Silver, so now I am torn between leaving well enough alone as my skanky, rusty and with pin holes in the silencer exhaust is still held firm in the head and not blowing and I have two events I want to attend at the weekend, or do I crack on and bask in the glory of my shiny new exhaust IF the broken stud comes out ok but have the right hump if it doesn't and I cant use it at the weekend.
    Beresford
    Beresford
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Beresford Thu 26 Apr 2018, 2:18 pm

Jobs like this always take 10 times as long as you'd think. So play safe. Get there. Win the Rat Bike Trophy. pirat
    Oafski
    Oafski
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Post by Oafski Thu 26 Apr 2018, 4:27 pm

Sound advice which I am going to follow.
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Thu 26 Apr 2018, 6:34 pm

You can see on the head there are some parts of the head that appears to have been blanked on the exahust side, These can be drilled and tapped for studs should you not be able to remove the existing stud. Best of luck at the RAT show
    skyrider
    skyrider
    the 900
    the 900

Post by skyrider Thu 26 Apr 2018, 6:55 pm

Oafski wrote:Managed to snap an exhaust pipe stud on Tuesday while trying to fit my new Delkevic System, new studs and nuts arrived this morning courtesy of David Silver, so now I am torn between leaving well enough alone as my skanky, rusty and with pin holes in the silencer exhaust is still held firm in the head and not blowing and I have two events I want to attend at the weekend, or do I crack on and bask in the glory of my shiny new exhaust IF the broken stud comes out ok but have the right hump if it doesn't and I cant use it at the weekend.
    when I was doing up my 99 cb5 I sprayed plus gas on all four studs every night for about a week and a half before I even attempted to loosen them and then after that time I put a socket on them and everyone came out easy it was well worth spraying them
    Oafski
    Oafski
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Post by Oafski Fri 27 Apr 2018, 11:02 am

Which of course is what I should have done in the first place and will be doing after the weekend for a few days. Before I became an Old Duffer I would definitely thought I'll give that a good dowsing in Plus Gas before I attempt to undo those as I KNOW they are prone to snapping.
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Sat 28 Apr 2018, 12:48 pm

Swapped out the front forks for the ones I rebuilt a while ago (approx 3 years ago). One of the mudguard bolts sheared which wasn't fun. Also cleaned out and regreased the speedo drive.
    Beresford
    Beresford
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Beresford Sat 28 Apr 2018, 5:33 pm

Just about finished.

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 6 Sam_2912
    New front disc and pads. Clean and paint wheels. Replace chain and sprockets. Paint peg brackets, front sprocket cover, remove de-rust and paint swing arm. Replace rear wheel bearings and seals.
    Also fit front fork gaiters.
    What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 6 Sam_2914
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Sat 28 Apr 2018, 9:19 pm

What are the dimensions of that room looks mahoosive
    Beresford
    Beresford
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Beresford Sat 28 Apr 2018, 9:53 pm

Jameshambleton wrote:What are the dimensions of that room looks mahoosive

Um. Not sure James. I got planning permission a few years ago to build a garage and when I asked the builder what the cost of making it a little bigger was , he said "actually not much" So I went for it.
    ZekeVal
    ZekeVal
    Running out of unique names
    Running out of unique names

Post by ZekeVal Sun 29 Apr 2018, 12:04 pm

That hoist on the rails is a thing of beauty! You can basically put you bike anywhere on the ceiling!
    ANDYC
    ANDYC
    the 900
    the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC Sun 29 Apr 2018, 12:33 pm

NOW THAT'S MY KIND OF WORKSHOP!!!
    wornsprokets
    wornsprokets
    the 900
    the 900

Post by wornsprokets Sun 29 Apr 2018, 12:37 pm

Wow i love  a garage that size ...i never be out of it...impressive garage ...mike
    wornsprokets
    wornsprokets
    the 900
    the 900

Post by wornsprokets Sun 29 Apr 2018, 12:42 pm

Got cb500s back on road after a long lay off from january with electricial woes... new stator & r&r& battery and loom connections cleaned up...and extra earth added...fork seals were leaking bad but i used a seal mate tool and at mo looks like it worked....we see....
    Oafski
    Oafski
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Post by Oafski Sun 29 Apr 2018, 3:23 pm

Rode it down to Italian Bike Day at The Ace Cafe, freezing cold down there and nowhere as many bikes as last year. That will teach me to take the liners out of my bike gear too early.
    davecb5002
    davecb5002
    Mothra the Radioactive
    Mothra the Radioactive

Post by davecb5002 Sun 29 Apr 2018, 3:37 pm

ANDYC wrote:NOW THAT'S MY KIND OF WORKSHOP!!!

Love the size of the workshop, but like mine is full of stuff.Have trouble remembering where I have put stuff Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
    Beresford
    Beresford
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Beresford Sun 29 Apr 2018, 9:14 pm

ZekeVal wrote:That hoist on the rails is a thing of beauty! You can basically put you bike anywhere on the ceiling!

It was actually quite cheap. I got the steel from a demolition contractor and the winch is an ebay item. Total cost was way less than a hydraulic bike lift.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 20 May 2024, 3:08 pm