CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

+51
Al1040
eternally_troubled
chromedome
cheesepiece1
Melitos
Hcb
deejay
smokingsig
stormbringer
liverpool_f_
Drago76
steeeve66
geewhizz
ojacobs1
burudis
Mr Messy
haybunch
Kairos
cc1085
TheWizardofOdds
shropshirewildman
cbcombo
cushdrive
Llewelyn1965
mikethebike
sullivj
ceejay
skyerae
Stevie Gimo
fgclark123
hovis
Grarea
motofan
ANDYC
wornsprokets
ZekeVal
wrighty
r1ncew1nd
tt fan
davecb5002
GollyGosh
Crash- Elmit
trevor machine
Oafski
cj haughey
hh_12345
freeride
Beresford
skyrider
muttley1
Jameshambleton
55 posters

What did you do with your CB500 today?

tt fan
    tt fan
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 7 Empty Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by tt fan Mon 30 Apr 2018, 12:51 am

Yeah - bit of shed envy going on here, i can tell you!!
    mikethebike
    mikethebike
    Crotch Rocketuer
    Crotch Rocketuer

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 7 Empty Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by mikethebike Mon 30 Apr 2018, 7:18 pm

Had to bump start the old girl in the pouring rain this morning as the battery had flattened over the weekend. Bloody battery is now on the Optimate overnight!  Followed that up with two very wet commute rides (with an eight hour work sized gap in between).  Rain has been biblical here today Crying or Very sad
    cushdrive
    Squiddy
    Squiddy

Post by cushdrive Wed 02 May 2018, 9:10 pm

A couple of days ago I got a full service, checked valve clearances, new plugs, balanced carbs and fitted a new Silencer, as old one had a hole in it.

The bike is much nicer to ride with the new silencer, the flat spot at 4000 rpm has been reduced and it feels like its egging me on to go change gear later and go faster.

I popped out last night and rode much faster than I normally do.  I can't wait to get back out on it.
    Oafski
    Oafski
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Post by Oafski Thu 03 May 2018, 5:29 pm

Alistair at my local garage Chapple Motors in Hoddesdon where I take my car for the stuff I cant do myself, managed to get my broken stud out by welding a nut on the stub and gently persuading it out and then we fitted my new Delkevic  Exhaust system, so I am a very happy bunny.
    Beresford
    Beresford
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Beresford Thu 03 May 2018, 7:52 pm

Oafski wrote:Alistair managed to get my broken stud out by welding a nut on the stub and gently persuading it out

https://coub.com/view/e2jnw
    Grarea
    Grarea
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Grarea Thu 03 May 2018, 8:03 pm

Very Happy
    r1ncew1nd
    r1ncew1nd
    Crotch Rocketuer
    Crotch Rocketuer

Post by r1ncew1nd Sat 05 May 2018, 7:25 am

Went through the North East exhaust noise testing facility !

Also known as the Tyne Tunnel  Very Happy

The old girl passed with flying colours.

Steve
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Sat 05 May 2018, 8:07 am

r1ncew1nd wrote:Went through the North East exhaust noise testing facility !

Also known as the Tyne Tunnel  Very Happy

The old girl passed with flying colours.

Steve

Apart from the speed limited/speed camera North East exhaust noise testing facility, try going to the horse power and torque one. Turbopac's in Durham on saturday mornings do free power runs.

skyerae
    skyerae
    the 900
    the 900

Post by skyerae Mon 07 May 2018, 6:13 am

New BT45 front tyre fitted and mostly scrubbed in. Went down to the beachfront (Aberdeen) and had a meal and of course an ice-cream to finish it off and then a blast home. Looked at rear tyre and realised it was near the end of it's life, just as well I ordered a pair of the BT45's  Smile
    Crash- Elmit
    Crash- Elmit
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Crash- Elmit Mon 07 May 2018, 2:20 pm

fitted new pistons and seals in caliper along with new sintered pads from EBC, changed seal in right hand fork and put new oil in both
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Tue 08 May 2018, 8:32 am

I went the very long way to the beach, rear tyre - pretty shredded but not showing cords yet, rear bearings yup you guessed clicking away nicely and the front disc.... well grease from the axle bolt is going all over that so I've got no brakes... makes for great fun Twisted Evil
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Tue 08 May 2018, 3:08 pm

My box of parts came today, 3 sets of pads for the streetfighter and the rest are for the cb.
    What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 7 Y4mK3RZKLJLPNCg-6QGPe1-6me08HFD6hgBc6mn90eiTkCJhQ97nj85z-E4wut15a68ai_1aJxNtUw2EpuL8ee3V_RuHxOMJaqCRyaZikxFuGvoVrzE7xRjREQrtvNJGHvIW-9wXzaJl9vkyxbI_fs70Z6zSvYWY03nvcxJfAa9xadGi3dfuWsHuV1JWmUorVq2lr0nHECpYtSOnCxZRmi3JQ?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none

Front brake pads, and fluid changed today and even popped the pistons out to have a look at them.

The pad pin had seized in tight, after a hammer, alan key, fire and a few choice words still didn't come out. Managed to get it out using the vice and a socket allen key... and it only just came out - no way would it have come out otherwise.

Also degreased the front axle bolt and the inner wheel so hopefully the grease stops melting and going onto my disc.
    wrighty
    wrighty
    Running out of unique names

Post by wrighty Tue 08 May 2018, 5:18 pm

Anyone know why when I open this thread it opens on the oldest entry (page 1) so to get to the latest entry (which is on page 7) I have to scroll through 7 pages (awkward on my ancient prototype tablet). The other threads load with latest entries at top of page 1. Is it something I can change?
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Sun 13 May 2018, 9:50 am

wrighty wrote:Anyone know why when I open this thread it opens on the oldest entry (page 1) so to get to the latest entry (which is on page 7) I have to scroll through 7 pages (awkward on my ancient prototype tablet). The other threads load with latest entries at top of page 1. Is it something I can change?

I don't know if it can be changed, but what I see/do this:

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 7 QOa9d6H

The '1 2 ... 6 7' tells you that there are 7 pages - I click on the '7' to go straight to the last page.

wrighty
    wrighty

Post by wrighty Sun 13 May 2018, 10:23 am

Afraid it doesn't appear like that on my old abacus. It just shows "Page 1 of 7" and in normal script, not something that can be clicked on. Thanks anyway ET its a pain but not the end of the world. Anyway yesterday fitted new blue silicon hoses with new shiny jubilee clips to silver ally radiator. Also fitted the replacement water pump which AndyC provided. Next job should be replacement exhaust so i can run engine and check that side of things before i get into aesthetics. Cheers all.
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Sun 13 May 2018, 10:52 am

wrighty wrote:Afraid it doesn't appear like that on my old abacus. It just shows "Page 1 of 7" and in normal script, not something that can be clicked on. Thanks anyway ET its a pain but not the end of the world. Anyway yesterday fitted new blue silicon hoses with new shiny jubilee clips to silver ally radiator. Also fitted the replacement water pump which AndyC provided. Next job should be replacement exhaust so i can run engine and check that side of things before i get into aesthetics.  Cheers all.

Good work - certainly worth replacing those hoses while you are there. They are all starting to get to an age where they will start leaking or burst soon enough.

Did you buy a kit of hoses for the CB500 or just some generic silicone hose off ebay? (either way do you have a link?)

On a different note, which browser are you using? I'm using Firefox (which I would recommend), so if you download and install that then you should see the same things as me.
    Beresford
    Beresford
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Beresford Sun 13 May 2018, 11:21 am

Have you tried going to the top right 3 dots menu and selecting " desk top site" ?
    wrighty
    wrighty

Post by wrighty Sun 13 May 2018, 1:15 pm

Beresford you clever person. I now have a whole new viewing experience! How much better is that? And ET the hoses are AS3 Performance, specifically for cb500 94 to 03. I bet if I try I could even work out how to post pictures and send pm's. (I am the original luddite. When i was at school we were still using scratchy pen nibs and an ink well!)
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Tue 15 May 2018, 7:45 pm

wrighty wrote:Beresford you clever person. I now have a whole new viewing experience! How much better is that? And ET the hoses are AS3 Performance, specifically for cb500 94 to 03. I bet if I try I could even work out how to post pictures and send pm's. (I am the original luddite. When i was at school we were still using scratchy pen nibs and an ink well!)

Glad you figured it out.

I bet these are the ones:

https://www.as3performance.co.uk/honda-cb-500-1994-2003-high-performance-silicone-radiator-hoses-blue/

https://www.as3performance.co.uk/honda-cb-500-1994-2003-stainless-steel-radiator-hose-clips-clip-kit/
    cbcombo
    cbcombo
    Scratcher!
    Scratcher!

Post by cbcombo Tue 15 May 2018, 9:33 pm

Finished the controls adaption on my project and fitted the radiator but bottom hose wrong so couldnt fill the systemWhat did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 7 P1050420
    wrighty
    wrighty

Post by wrighty Wed 16 May 2018, 7:10 am

eternally_troubled wrote:

wrighty wrote:Beresford you clever person. I now have a whole new viewing experience! How much better is that? And ET the hoses are AS3 Performance, specifically for cb500 94 to 03. I bet if I try I could even work out how to post pictures and send pm's. (I am the original luddite. When i was at school we were still using scratchy pen nibs and an ink well!)

Glad you figured it out.

I bet these are the ones:

https://www.as3performance.co.uk/honda-cb-500-1994-2003-high-performance-silicone-radiator-hoses-blue/

https://www.as3performance.co.uk/honda-cb-500-1994-2003-stainless-steel-radiator-hose-clips-clip-kit/

They are indeed the hoses, the jubilee clips came from local diy store.
    Oafski
    Oafski
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Post by Oafski Wed 16 May 2018, 4:01 pm

Fitted the repaired Radiator Cowl, Not an unpleasing match with the side panel and the other side done as well. Next job will be the wheels and footrest hangers. Leaving the Engine until last, I really want to do it Black but to do it properly it needs to come out and I am wary given the well known seized front engine bolt problem and it is just cosmetic, so needs further thought.What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 7 Dsc00910
    What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 7 Dsc01010
    What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 7 Dsc01011
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Sat 19 May 2018, 5:38 pm

My bike decided she didn't want to go on the dyno this morning so she launched me and herself half a meter in the air and 3 meters across the road.
    AND... I'm supposed to be in europe in 3 weeks time touring
    What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 7 Y4m_zlmDF7rLM4UAh-fzd4EW5z6xsl71eGOnw7VtnvTuS8STTHWSG3zTzPnqYQbIo6vYXi3Em1P70DKsYvxbH7XJgXgy29XsLIPBdSp-r_-_xiFOrTwQfunUX9W_TajDh-tVwbqYEdzkfgGsM8n7IyvAmW8D4RZ8wR3sXLabDtm_GrSRhLFH6SWnMPb-xAoz0l2RJCQfUeeiTzx6WcoqxFNTg?width=768&height=1024&cropmode=none
    r1ncew1nd
    r1ncew1nd
    Crotch Rocketuer
    Crotch Rocketuer

Post by r1ncew1nd Sat 19 May 2018, 5:46 pm

Ouch !

Whats the damage James?  Sprain, fracture, just bruising?

And what about the bike?

Steve
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Sat 19 May 2018, 6:30 pm

r1ncew1nd wrote:Ouch !

Whats the damage James?  Sprain, fracture, just bruising?

And what about the bike?

Steve

Both bones in my left wrist are broken, pulled my right hand and  pulled my left shoulder....

Bike damage is front mudguard, clutch lever pivot point and mirror sheared, front indicator rubber ripped, heated grip ripped, stator cover cracked in 2 places and leaking oil (unrepairable) ,side stand bolt, gear lever, rad cover, and topbox scuffed.
    I have said that a topbox is the best crash protection and once again its earned its keep. Here's some photos of her https://1drv.ms/f/s!ArP4grxhMWOppwAlV-d6d4by--jv

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 10 May 2024, 5:34 am